Search only returning results of recent updated

Landon Wilkins

Idea

I'm at a loss.

I restarted my computer.

I reinstalled Evernote.

I'm on Mavericks.

My search results no longer return all relevant notes.

I have >10 notes with titles "Spellbook: <something>"

I search "spellbook" and only get one result, which I recently updated.

If I search for notes that haven't been updated recently, I get nothing. I can see these notes in the left hand card view. I can open them up. I tried resyncing over and over. Nothing is working. Any ideas?

Next steps for me:

1) Google how to export all my Evernote notes into a tool that has search functionality
2) Wait for any activity on this thread

Note: Skitch search still appears to work, but I need to be able to search through my text notes.

UPDATE:

Web version of Evernote returns all the results I expect.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Evernote has known for a long time now that EN Search is not consistent (does not provide same results) across all EN platforms/clients.

The more reports of Search errors the more uncomfortable I become.  I rely daily on doing many EN Searches.

Please Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Done, thanks JMichael for the reply. Hope they catch that bug soon. I'll use the web interface in the mean time. Maybe make a fluidapp for it... Mostly it's just convenient to switch to the desktop Evernote with Alfred. :shrug:

+100 relying on search, use it constantly throughout the day. Can't remember all the magic commands I run.

resolved!

First I tried stuff below the line (SUPPORT RESPONSE), that didn't quite work for me. Something with re importing my notes messed up my database again.

So the next time I:

1) removed my Evernote database by:

Move your existing Evernote database:

1. Open Evernote for Mac
  2. Select Evernote > About Evernote
  3. Press and hold the Option key and select Open database folder(keep this folder open)
  4. Select Evernote > Quit Evernote from the Menu Bar
  5. Move the “www.evernote.com" folder (this will contain one or more numerical folders that contain all Evernote accounts you've used on your Mac) from the database folder to another location, such as your desktop

Then I opened up Evernote and let it sync for ~1.5 to 2 hrs. After that, search results matched the web results. Stoked.

-------------SUPPORT RESPONSE-------------------

Thanks for providing your activity log.

I see you are having trouble with searches in Evernote for Mac. I'm glad to hear that web application is returning the correct search results. I'd like to have you try rebuilding the local Evernote database on your Mac to troubleshoot this.

To rebuild your Evernote for Mac database, follow these steps:

Save your local content:

1. Export any Local Notebooks; select View > Notebooks; right-click on each Local Notebook and select Export Notes from…
  2. Choose Evernote XML Format (.enex) and save the file to your computer
  3. Export any unsynchronized notes

Move your existing Evernote database:

1. Open Evernote for Mac
  2. Select Evernote > About Evernote
  3. Press and hold the Option key and select Open database folder(keep this folder open)
  4. Select Evernote > Quit Evernote from the Menu Bar
  5. Move the “www.evernote.com" folder (this will contain one or more numerical folders that contain all Evernote accounts you've used on your Mac) from the database folder to another location, such as your desktop

Open your desktop application and login to your Evernote account. Evernote will download all of your synced notes from Evernote's servers and create a new database on your computer. Once the new database has been created, import any Local Notebooks you previously exported by selecting File > Import Notes.

If these steps do not resolve this issue, please include an updated activity log from Evernote in your reply and I will get back to you soon. Information on how to obtain a log can be found here:

• Level 5*

This keeps happening. I have to keep deleting my local database and resyncing with the web.

I'm currently on OS X 10.9.5.

Please Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Archived