How to make Chrome open Evernote links in desktop app

How to make my work computer to open evernote links in Chrome with Evernote desktop application?

Long story below:

I'm using the same Chrome user both at home and at work. All my extensions and settings are identical and synced. I have Evernote web clipper plugin in both.

Home computer uses Win 8.1 and is doing what I want, work computer has Win 7 and doesn't do it.

I want that when I open a link like this: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/nl/237001/232d6d1e-11b5-40f3-aa53-f278f070f5a7, my computer would open it in browser and then suddenly change to my desktop application. That's the behaviour I expect and that's how my home computer does the job (I'm using  https://calendar.sunrise.am/ , where I can just click "View on evernote").

Tried playing with the file: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Local State and adding:

"protocol_handler": {          "excluded_schemes": {         <...>        "evernote": false,

At my home computer it's like the above, at work computer there was no "evernote" line at all. Tried setting it false, true, removing - no difference.

So, I know that it's possible, because it's working from the home computer.

Possibly a dumb question,  but do both computers have the desktop version of Evernote installed and are you logged in with the same user ID in both cases?

Yes, I'm using the same user in both computers. Both of them has Evernote desktop application installed (version on both is the same: "5.8.4.6870 (274870) Public")

Does this help, particularly the section on In-App Note Links?

I'm not sure what exactly I should see.

My problem, as described above, is that when I try to open a link like this: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/nl/237001/b5eafc9c-44ed-4a76-b6ab-9e403f7e164fit opens in a web browser and then in my desktop app. Meanwhile, the work computer opens it only in a web browser leaving me without an opportunity to edit the note.

I'm trying to open the same link from both computers and from the same website ( calendar.sunrise.am ), so I doubt that link format has anything to do with it.

• Level 5*

The reference describes the difference between Note Links ("used to reference a note in a web browser that when the recipient of the link already has access via notebook or individual note sharing") and In-App Note Links ("used within the Evernote application to link to a note from within another notes.  In-app Links can also induce the launching and subsequent opening of the desired note in an Evernote client from other applications"); It looks like that https://www.evernote.com/...are Note Links, while you want a different behavior, which I think is evinced by use of In-App Note Links. I linked the article as something that maybe you could use to figure this out, as I didn't have time to research it fully myself. With reference to different types of Evernote note links, yes, I think that different formats do have something to do with different behaviors; that's certainly what the article implies.

The reference describes the difference between Note Links ("used to reference a note in a web browser that when the recipient of the link already has access via notebook or individual note sharing") and In-App Note Links ("used within the Evernote application to link to a note from within another notes.  In-app Links can also induce the launching and subsequent opening of the desired note in an Evernote client from other applications"); It looks like that https://www.evernote.com/...are Note Links, while you want a different behavior, which I think is evinced by use of In-App Note Links. I linked the article as something that maybe you could use to figure this out, as I didn't have time to research it fully myself. With reference to different types of Evernote note links, yes, I think that different formats do have something to do with different behaviors; that's certainly what the article implies.

I understand the basic differences between links. But looks like you are ignoring everything I wrote in the above.

I repeat myself again. I press on the same link, in the same website and get different behaviour depending on the machine. Meanwhile, you suggest that I'm pressing different links, i.e., the same link, but in a different format.

As far as I know the link is identical. Well, just in case, I'll check the link letter by letter this evening when I'll get home.

• Level 5*

I understand the basic differences between links. But looks like you are ignoring everything I wrote in the above.

I repeat myself again. I press on the same link, in the same website and get different behaviour depending on the machine. Meanwhile, you suggest that I'm pressing different links, i.e., the same link, but in a different format.

I'm going to suggest that if you complain about someone not reading your post when they are trying to help you, then you'd better have read what they wrote. I said exactly nothing about "pressing" links of any kind.

What I did, in fact, say is that there are known, and documented differences in behaviors between different link types -- that's coming from the referenced web page. That leads me to believe that if you are clicking on a link, and its behavior differs from what you expect (you seem to want the behavior from an In-App Note Link), and in fact behaves more like a different type of link than what you think you have (a standard Note Link), then maybe there's something else going on, or that there's something that you're not telling us.

Now I'm not an expert in how Evernote's note links work in all cases, but I do know the following for a fact:

• If you right click on a note in the Evernote Windows client and select Copy Note Link, and paste that into another note, you get a link of the form: evernote:///view/48005074/s244/2bf1d0e2-a308-43a9-83c4-311bfaa88567/2bf1d0e2-a308-43a9-83c4-311bfaa88567/ (you can see this by right-clicking on the link in your note, and selecting Edit...). This appears in format to be an In-App Note Link as described by the referenced web page. If you paste this link into a web browser, it will take you to the note in your account in the Evernote application.
  • Whereas, if you paste the exact same link into a non-Evernote application (like a web browser), you get a link of the form: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s244/nl/48005074/2bf1d0e2-a308-43a9-83c4-311bfaa88567. This appears in format to be standard Note Link. If you paste this link into a web browser, it will show you the note in your web browser.

Hmmm, this seems to be a highly leading (but possibly misleading) set of behaviors, given what you've described. Given that I know nothing about the provenance of the link you're using, how you create it or where you put it and what you do with it before clicking on it, it's it's not enough for me to go on. And since, again, I don't know all of the ins-and-outs of Evernote's note links, I offered up that reference in hopes that you might be able to pick up the ball and run with it to figure it out yourself. Beyond that, you may get lucky and have one of the Evernote staffers shine a light, or you could try the support system : https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51807-best-practices-submitting-a-support-ticket/. Good luck.

English is definitely not my native language, so maybe I look more unhappy or angry than I actually are.

I'm thankful, jefito, that you are trying to be helpful. But in my eyes you are not helpful and making the discussion to fall to the "wrong" side. It has nothing to do with the link types. And I have already explained that I'm opening NOT in-App link, but the https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/nl/237001/59a500c4-48f9-471c-a64e-5b8d4a7cb2b6. I gave a link example twice. In original post and in reply to your suggestion to read about link types. I am not copying or pasting any links at all. I'm just pressing on them.

Also, as promised, I double checked letter after letter that the links are identical in both machines, and they sure are.

Maybe the picture will explain it better what I'm doing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv74q6z7o1s8qg6/Screenshot%202015-03-10%2019.49.19.png?dl=0

In the picture you can see the same link in the bottom. Chrome displays the link on which my mouse is hovering. And the result after clicking it is different on two machines. If the link is the same, it means 99% probability that link type has no influence here. The only probability that settings can be different for the same type of link on two different machines.

• Level 5*

Appreciate the insight, Jakob, as usual. Thanks. I was definitely confused by the situation, and hopefully that setting will be exposed eventually.

@PovilasPavanas : sorry not to be able to help you better. I'll try to retain that little nugget for the next time.

Hi Povilas,

Where notes are opened is controlled by a cookie in your browser. The first time you open a notelink you was served with a dialog prompting you to choose to open either in the browser or in the desktop client. It's not completely intuitive to users that this dialog sets a preference in this cookie and we have no user facing setting that controls it at this point. 

Here's a guide that hopefully explains how to change this behavior:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAwaBli0sYNKv77rQKfGUVrLkSnpwwslXUg

Let me know if it helps. (the guide is written from a Web Clipper perspective but it is a general setting...)

It solved my problem! Thank you! :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi Povilas,

Where notes are opened is controlled by a cookie in your browser. The first time you open a notelink you was served with a dialog prompting you to choose to open either in the browser or in the desktop client. It's not completely intuitive to users that this dialog sets a preference in this cookie and we have no user facing setting that controls it at this point. 

Let me know if it helps. (the guide is written from a Web Clipper perspective but it is a general setting...)

Any way to skip opening the browser window on the way to EN?

@csihiling

Unfortunately no there's no direct way to go from our notelink format into the native clients without opening it first in the browser. I'd like that as well but at present that's not possible. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/03/2015 at 9:21 PM, jbignert said:

@csihilingUnfortunately no there's no direct way to go from our notelink format into the native clients without opening it first in the browser. I'd like that as well but at present that's not possible. 

On Mac OS X, when you hold Option key while opening the Contextual menu ("right-clicking") on a note, I can see the option "Copy Classic Note Link" ... such link, when clicked upon in a text document or in a document that displays in a web browser, will open the Evernote app and the note directly, circumventing the need to go to the web version of the note first.

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2015 at 10:21 PM, jbignert said:

Hi Povilas,

This worked well - many thanks for this suggestion! However, it is a bit tedious that clicking the link both opens a new sheet in Chrome as well as it opens the note in W10 Desktop application. Is it somehow possible to avoid that the Chrome sheet opens?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2015 at 11:21 PM, jbignert said:

Hi Povilas,

Thanks fot the note. 

Is there a way, once you have selected the Desktop app by default, to remove the message thats appears that you have to Syncronice from the server ?

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*

This seems to be broken in the current version of Chrome, that is opening a link from an external source in EN desktop.  Example is clicking on the link in the daily reminder email from EN.  You get a splash screen of sorts with the note content within Chrome but do not go to the note in EN.

Anyone else seeing the behavior?

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

Hi @csihilling. I just executed the procedure and it worked fine for me. I'm on a Mac with Sierra and my default browser is Chrome. When I click the daily email links they open on the desktop app (and open a browser window as well)

Eduardo

Thanks for checking.  I am on Windows though.  It does not work even after I do the reset documented here.   This fix did work in the past to reset the go to EN behavior.  Firefox as a default browser works just fine.  Oh well.

• 8 months later...

I had a similar issue. For me, this fix has worked:

Click on "Copy internal link". Then paste the link into a note in Evernote. You now have a hyperlink with the name of the note, of which the  link was copied. Since you pasted it within the Evernote application an evernote:/// link is created (if you paste anywhere else the link starts with www.evernote.com. Right-click the link you pasted into an Evernote note, click on copy to add the evernote:/// link to clipboard.

No matter where you paste this link, on windows it will open in the Evernote desktop application.

• 3 months later...
On 3/11/2015 at 6:21 AM, jbignert said:

Hi Povilas,

Just confirming that this works for Evernote for Mac as well. Great answer with a bit of cookie insight. Thanks!

• 6 months later...

Hello,

The note link below does not open in Evernote (Mac)

evernote:///view/5845997/s53/244254a5-4ca1-4a41-b5eb-4620e3af45b6/244254a5-4ca1-4a41-b5eb-4620e3af45b6

I tried the advice above but that did not solve it - deleted the cookie and then got web clipper to prompt 'open in evernote app' again.
Focus goes to the evernote app but the specific note is not displayed.

I know the note is there, not been deleted.

Any help please?

• 8 months later...
On 2/28/2017 at 8:31 AM, Eduardo Estefano said:

Hi @csihilling. I just executed the procedure and it worked fine for me. I'm on a Mac with Sierra and my default browser is Chrome. When I click the daily email links they open on the desktop app (and open a browser window as well)

Eduardo

What is the procedure? I'm having the same issue where Evertnote reminder links I get in emails open in the browser instead of the Evernote App. Why do I have an Evernote app then?

• Level 5*

A cookie gets set re where to open the note, browser or desktop (windows anyway).  You have to clear that cookie so you can reset the option next time you click on an EN link.  With the changes in Chrome across the years I don’t know where that cookie resides anymore.  Perhaps someone from EN can chime in.  

3 horas atrás, TheGooch disse:

What is the procedure? I'm having the same issue where Evertnote reminder links I get in emails open in the browser instead of the Evernote App. Why do I have an Evernote app then?

Here are the details: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/sh/1a0658b4-b183-4abf-beeb-40a7c6515acb/9129e9c30b255d48

• Level 5*
On 6/20/2019 at 12:03 PM, Eduardo Estefano said:

Here are the details: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/sh/1a0658b4-b183-4abf-beeb-40a7c6515acb/9129e9c30b255d48

That's a link prior to Chrome making some changes.  Triggered my memory, now you have to 

1. Go to Settings
  2. Expand Advanced
  3. Site Settings
  4. Cookies
  5. See all cookies and site data
  6. Search for Evernote
  7. Select www.evernote.com (image below)
  8. Remove enAppInstalled

ScreenClip.png.27b9bda682c7bbc625db987644152fdf.png

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2019 at 12:46 PM, CalS said:

That's a link prior to Chrome making some changes.  Triggered my memory, now you have to 

1. To to Settings
  2. Expand Advanced
  3. Site Settings
  4. Cookies
  5. See all cookies and site data
  6. Search for Evernote
  7. Select www.evernote.com (image below)
  8. Remove enAppInstalled

ScreenClip.png.27b9bda682c7bbc625db987644152fdf.png

I don't have a cookie by that name, but thanks for showing me where Evernote cookies are. That could come in handy in the future! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, TheGooch said:

I don't have a cookie by that name, but thanks for showing me where Evernote cookies are. That could come in handy in the future! 

You are welcome. 

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I wrote a small application (and using it for more than 2 years) that replaces the default browser, parses each link and if it matches Evernote, automatically converts it to evernote://... and opens it in the desktop version of Evernote seamlessly, else it opens the URL in the browser.

If a lot of people are interested I could share it.

• Like 1