BUG: Wrong notes are opened when clicking on a link if search filter is active

EdH

• Level 5*

If I do a search in EN to find a note, then click on a link in that note while it is still in the search view (i.e. don't open the note in a new window) and the note I want is in the same notebook but is filtered out because of the search results, clicking on the link gives me the wrong note - a random one it appears.

If I open the searched for note in a new window, then click on the link, the right note is shown.

I submitted this bug to Support, but they are asking for my logs, which are irrelevant, and the next step will be to ask me to uninstall and reinstall, which is also irrelevant.

Has anyone else seen this? 

• Level 5*

Hey, EdH, don't you know that the solution for everything is an uninstall/reinstall !?!?   :lol:

I know. I have a bug with checkboxes that I've confirmed too and they want me to uninstall and reinstall. 

It is almost to the point I file a support ticket so I can say that I have on the off chance that someone on the other end will not read from a script.  :angry:

• Level 5*

Nope, not seeing that behavior.  I did a quick test details below to be sure it mirrors your issue.  When I create a Table of Contents I put TOC on the end of the note title, so:

1. In List view I did an All Notes search with intitle:TOC
  2. None of of the links in any of the TOC notes have TOC in the title so they are not in the search results.
  3. When I click on a link in any of the TOC notes I go to the right note and my context changes to All Notes.

Performs the same in Snippet view.  Sorry, no help.

• Level 5*

With context I was referring to the notes in the list view.  It changes from the subset that have TOC in the title to All Notes after I select a link in one of the TOC notes.  Sorry for the terminology confusion.

To be specific.  Search context is set to current in the search bar.  Notes context after the search is the TOC notes.  Search context is current after I click the link (with nothing in the search bar), and notes context is all notes.  

• Level 5*

When I click on a link, the search results don't change, so the note I want is "hidden" from view.

EdH, I'm not sure if this is helpful, but FWIW when I do a test in EN Mac 6.0.6 it works fine.

Here's what I did:

1. Set a tag filter
  2. In one of the Notes in the results list, click on a Note link that does NOT match the tag filter
  3. The Note I clicked on appears, and the Tag filter is also cleared.
  • Level 5*

If I do a search in EN to find a note, then click on a link in that note while it is still in the search view (i.e. don't open the note in a new window) and the note I want is in the same notebook but is filtered out because of the search results, clicking on the link gives me the wrong note - a random one it appears.

If I open the searched for note in a new window, then click on the link, the right note is shown.

I submitted this bug to Support, but they are asking for my logs, which are irrelevant, and the next step will be to ask me to uninstall and reinstall, which is also irrelevant.

Has anyone else seen this? 

OK, interesting case here (Windows client, the most recent 5.8.4.6736 prerelease, in snippet view): I tried your scenario and it seemed to work fine. Did a text search that catches only my weekly journal, which contains links to the tasks I've scheduled and/or worked on, clicked on a link to one of those tasks (which is in the same notebook) and it jumped right to that note. Worked for several other links, no problem.

But I then tried a different search, a tag search in this case, to isolate the same journal note, and clicked on one of the links that had worked with the prior search, and it brought me to the same journal note the link lives in. Weird. But other links to notes in the same notebook seemed to work.

So something's not quite right. Definitely a bug. I can't see an obvious pattern yet, and I do use this facility pretty much daily at work. But it's repeatable, so if the testers/devs can come up with a test case, that's all to the better in terms of finding and fixing it; it's the sporadic/phantom bugs that are hellish to track down. 

Archived