Organizing long lists of text URLs into groups

• Level 5*

I think your best bet is to use MS Word macros.  They are very powerful.  You can get started by recording a macro as you manually make the steps.

You should also find lots of help, examples, even online training out on the Internet for VBA (Visual Basic for Applications), which is the macro language.

You'll have to verify this, but I think if you create a RTF (Rich Text Format) document using Word, then you can import this into an EN Note as HTML (that EN creates from the Word RTF).

a3yd - You'e gave a solution without telling us the problem.

I'd responded with a question: Why do you want to separate your URLs from your bookmarks and random notes? What benefit would that provide you? Or the opposite question: What problem are you experiencing with the current structure of your information?

There are many people who monitor this forum who are very knowledgeable about Evernote and very clever, including JMichael. - - - Tell them what your problem is with another post to this topic.

• Level 5*

Using the Evernote API to analyze note content, you could do this sort of thing, but outside of that, I don't think that Evernote provides any tools that would make it reasonable to automate this sort of thing. Certainly in Windows you cannot. Not sure if Evernote's AppleScript facilities on Macs offers that kind of granular access either.

• Level 5*

@a3yd:  That's why I believe that MS Word macros (VBA) offers the most flexibility/capability to achieve your objectives.  Evernote does NOT have any built-in automation, other than AppleScript on EN Mac.

IMO, it's better to process the information BEFORE importing into Evernote.

a3yd - I do not know what the capabilities are of the Evernote API, so I am hard pressed to come up with something other than what JMichael suggested.

If you were to post an example of one of your text docs to this topic in this forum, someone might be able to offer a more detailed conversion procedure for you.

Also, I would ask how many text docs do you have that you want to convert? That would likely impact the steps someone might suggest for you to make the conversion.

One more also: This may not change your goal ("organize so you can better view your notes and bookmarks"), but Evernote's search capabilities are excellent. If you just load all your text docs as is into Evernote, you will likely be able to easily find whatever you might look for some time.

• Level 5*

If you put all of your URLs into MS Word, then you can sort them by line.

Then all of the Amazon.com URLs would appear together, etc.

From this you could select the lines with the common domain name (amazon.com), copy, and paste into a new EN Note using the EN global shortcut key.

a3yd - You didn't indicate how many text docs you are dealing with.

If all your URLs are still in your bookmarks file, why not just leave them there (or copy and paste them all at once into an Evernote Note) and ignore the fact that they are also intermixed in your text docs? I realize that cleanliness is next to Godliness, but you'd have to decide if it is worth the time and effort to go through the separation process.

If you still feel you want to spend the time and effort to separate URLs from non-URLs in your text docs, them it seems like you will need to have the Macro read each line in each text doc. If the line is a URL, then the Macro outputs the line to "New MS Word Document A". If the line is not a URL, then the Macro outputs the line to "New MS Word Document B". If that all works fine, then Document A and Document B can be copied and pasted into Evernote. The original text docs, A, and B, can then be deleted or retained for back-up purposes. (This procedure assumes your text documents include sentences that have wrap around text in them and the sequence of that text must be preserved.)

Archived