Change default view on Evernote web

ilpostino

Idea

26 replies to this idea

I use notebooks for a reason: my brain works in a way that I look for the notebook first, then the note. I don't see the point of the notes first when you have thousands of them with photos and clipped stuff that take an age to load.  I also HATE with a passion that it automatically displays notes when I have co-workers around.  I would like to choose how evernote web opens: ie, to a list of notebooks, not into notes! Please kindly change this, it's been annoying for a long time.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, scttdb said:

@csihilling I'm not using the web browser version of Evernote, I'm using the desktop app on Mac OS. 

Thanks for that, I got confused by the forum this is in.  Anyway, I think it works the same on the Mac desktop version; set the view the way you want it and then File - Exit or Ctrl-Q to completely shut down EN.  Then when you restart EN desktop on your Mac you should have the view you want.  If not the same on the Mac, my apologies. 

• Level 5*
On January 12, 2016 at 2:47 PM, scttdb said:

I too would like to choose a default view when I open Evernote.

>>I'm using the desktop app on Mac OS. 

My experience is that unless I've signed out, Evernote presents the view from my previous session.  I wouldn't like this changed.

• Level 5*

My experience on the Old Web EN is that when I sign back in I am returned to the same view as when I signed out.  Both FireFox and Chrome.  Have you tried signing out of EN with your Work folder displayed?

I too would like to choose a default view when I open Evernote.

I would like to choose a specific notebook. The following example illustrates why this is a major privacy concern:

1. I'm at work. I call a coworker over to my desk to show them a note in Evernote
  2. I have a notebook called—surprisingly enough—"Work". That's where I keep all my work notes.
  3. I open Evernote, and the coworker is standing behind me waiting to see my work note.
  4. Evernote opens, and immediately starts syncing. This causes the app to be unresponsive for just a few seconds.
  5. Meanwhile "All Notes" is open in Snippet View by default and my coworker is free to scan the whole list as I keep clicking on my Work notebook so that I can hide everything else. See my point?
  6. Similar things have happened when doing presentations and sharing my screen with the entire office. Not cool!
  7. When I'm at work, I'd like to choose my default notebook called Work!

The new defaut view is a disaster. I have my notes organized in notebooks for a reason, so I can find related material. Why would you decide that we wanted to see a list of all our thousands of notes, have to wait for that to load, in order to do what we actually want. I have to use the web version most of the time, since I use Linux on my desktop.  Really want to be able to select what view I want.

+1. Please let us choose the default view. Having notes as default view is like having all files on your computer mixed in one folder.  I would like to see the list of notebooks on the left side which _stays_ there and does not jump back every time I click on a specific note. And a _preview_ list of all notes in this notebook on the right side (not only the complete text of the top note in this notebook), as it was before. And please make the black square with the notebook info and share button removable. Who needs this in the default view?? It only occupies space and distracts from the text. And: when you create a new note where is the option for uploading an image? The tool panel has disappeared. I know I can drag the image to the note but it means I have to minimize the browser window every time!

Please, please do something about it...the update has made Evernote almost unusable for me, but I'll hope for the best and wait.

I agree that the default web view is horrible. There have been a serious of missteps in the programming of the user interface - the web view can't be changed, navigating to specific notes takes too long, removal of the ability to process several emails from Outlook to Evernote simultaneously, Webclipper erratic behaviour, etc. And these are just the ones that impact my daily work flow.

Did a key person leave the company and the users are left with programmers who only know their way of working? A great product has hit the skids and is now doing the slow death march into oblivion... Time to move on to another product... Hope I can find a way to export the notes to a platform neutral  format.

The new defaut view is a disaster. I have my notes organized in notebooks for a reason, so I can find related material. Why would you decide that we wanted to see a list of all our thousands of notes, have to wait for that to load, in order to do what we actually want. I have to use the web version most of the time, since I use Linux on my desktop.  Really want to be able to select what view I want.

+1. Please let us choose the default view. Having notes as default view is like having all files on your computer mixed in one folder.  I would like to see the list of notebooks on the left side which _stays_ there and does not jump back every time I click on a specific note. And a _preview_ list of all notes in this notebook on the right side (not only the complete text of the top note in this notebook), as it was before. And please make the black square with the notebook info and share button removable. Who needs this in the default view?? It only occupies space and distracts from the text. And: when you create a new note where is the option for uploading an image? The tool panel has disappeared. I know I can drag the image to the note but it means I have to minimize the browser window every time!

Please, please do something about it...the update has made Evernote almost unusable for me, but I'll hope for the best and wait.

I absolutely agree. I am very frustrated and am trying to revert.

I have some notes that I only want me to be able to access and view and so these are in a 'Private' folder. Ideally, I should be able to password-protect that folder to make sure it doesn't accidentally get accessed. I then have other notes in a 'Regular' folder.

In old Evernote, it remembered to open the last folder view i.e. Regular notebook. In beta, it just automatically opens 'notes' and this means my private notes are viewable. I like to set my view to be 'last viewed' for fairly obvious reasons and this means that a regularly used private note will always be on show when accessing Evernote via the web on beta.

So, my options are either a) use beta and change view to 'last created' or something else that will push older private notes out of sight or B) revert to old web version.

I'll let you guess which I chose. Allowing a user to configure their basic view settings should be a mandatory feature for a product otherwise as good as Evernote. I hope your beta trial reveals more of these sorts of issues and that you listen to your users rather than assuming what is best for them. We're all different - let your product reflect that.

I know its hard to please everyone but the old view was much more efficient.  more scrolling because the note is taller (I know...trying to fit the icon in there)...and why not leave the notebook list open, then the current note summary, then the note (3 columns of info) otherwise there is dead/unused/wasted space (using google chrome on window 7 24" monitor).  I just recommended it to a friend and had him sign up saying its my favorite app ever (I avoided the beta after trying it).  That very day I was forced to the new format and I cant say the same.  Thanks for what you do but the old one was better...best wishes.

just noticed the desktop application does better so maybe I'll start using that but chrome is more convenient

When I log on to the new web beta a new notebook opens and is the default view. Is it possible to change the default view so I ie can list my notes instead?

Hello!

We made a change today that hopefully you will be a little happier about. 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/85672-web-client-beta-release-notes-6112015/

The default view is now, All Notes. 

- Nancy 

Click on the "Notes" tab and then drag the resulting URL to your bookmark toolbar. That link/ icon will land you in your note list as opposed to a new note. 

• You can do exactly the same with TAG and NOTEBOOK contexts as well as INDIVIDUAL NOTES. They each have their own "custom" URL.
    • If you open multiple notes in your browser, each one in its own tab, you can even get your Personal Kanban on  :P
      • Group multiple note URLs in one Folder in your bookmark toolbar and right click > Open all bookmarks
        • A select set of your notes will now be opened, which you can shuffle around
        • Heck, there are even some browser extensions which allow you to rename the individual tabs so that they can be easily distinguished. I did a lot of tinkering with this and it's a breeze... if you have a use case, that is  ;)
        • One such example would be to have 4 separate to-do notes, comprising the 4 quadrants of the Eisenhower Matrix (Important/ Urgent). Open each of them in separate tabs. You could also include "Doing" and "Done" notes. 

I'm having the same issue. I cannot figure out how to organize the Evernote files so I'm basically giving up on this. I wish I knew how to change it back to the way it was where I saw all the notebooks on the side. I really dislike this new view and so won't be using Evernote much until I can figure out how to change it back.

Agreed - my suspicion is that most users, most of the time, open the web client to find information - the default view should therefore be the note list. Or of course make this an option in the settings...

I second this. I find it really annoying. At least give me the option to select what I want to see when I log in. 9/10 times I want to create or edit a new note, not make a new one. 

Partially because of this (and because the app for Windows phone is terrible), I am considering not paying again for premium again. I am using onenote more and more because I can select what I want to see - it doesn't just assume I want to create a new note. (remember what 'assume' stands for?). It feels like they had this 'great' 'time-saving' idea, but didn't actually consult on anyone. do customers *actually* want this? I certainly don't.

Please, please, Evernote - let your users choose what they want to see. You're losing a customer over here. 

(and Evernote, please don't BS me by saying I can choose to not use the Beta version, because I am using the original, and refusing to pay for premium again, until you give users more choice about what they want). 

I use Evernote to sync notes between my cell phone/tablet/computers and it happens more often that I want to edit/read existing new notes than creating new ones (shopping lists etc). When I log on Evernote at my computer I don't mind have the option to create new notes but I would like to have the option to open existing notes with as few clicks as possible. Per se the main part of the window after you have logged on is "occupied" by a blank/new note with some icons for notebooks and notes in a column at the left side. The way you have designed the new design there is no way of listing the notes and notebooks in the column at the left side. It would be better if you could choose if you have a new notebook or a list of notes (or notebooks) in the largest part of the window. If you choose the latter an icon for a new note could be easy accessible.

Hi ilpostino, 

We do not support choosing your own default view. Can you provide some feedback on what you would like it to be and the motivation behind that? We'd love to hear feedback from users on this. 

Thanks, 

Nancy 

Archived