How to share notebook w/o using work chat

Is it still possible to share a notebook without using work chat?  Some people don't chat, does EN know that?  And what I want to do is share a notebook between two of my own accounts.  I have created a separate EN account to demonstrate EN when I am doing demonstrations (I am a librarian).  I don't want to show them my main account, too much private stuff.  But there are notebooks I would like to transfer over.  And now I can't figure out how to do it.  Work chat isn't working for me, and anyway I don't want to do it in real time, just make it available for use later.  PLEASE tell me there is a way to do thi!

Just to add to what Metrodon has contributed:

Workchat is perhaps a bit of a misleading name. It is the mechanics that allows Evernote users to share content, it also just happens to be a way to send messages. You can share notebooks or notes without chatting. 

• Level 5

Workchat is perhaps a bit of a misleading name. 

Workchat misleading? It certainly is. 

I think Phil Libin should reconsider his desire to move away from "cognitive skeuomorphism metapors".

He should stick with the basics.

When I have info I want to share, I want to share it -  quickly - and efficiently.

I don't want to schedule a Workchat to discuss my views of the content. 

I don't want the recipient to be faced with an obscure request to "WorkChat".

I've avoided even trying Workchat - specifically due to its odd name.

Well, if I can share a notebook without chatting, would someone please tell me how?  Because I can't figure it out.  When I right click on the notebook name, all I see is the chat box.  When I type in one of my own email addresses (because I am trying to share this with my own other account) and click send, as far as I can tell, nothing at all happens.  I have entered 2 different email addresses now, one at work and a gmail address.

Workchat is perhaps a bit of a misleading name. 

Workchat misleading? It certainly is. 

I don't want to schedule a Workchat to discuss my views of the content. 

I don't want the recipient to be faced with an obscure request to "WorkChat".

I've avoided even trying Workchat - specifically due to its odd name.

1) I don't appreciate my words being so brutally misconstrued. If you have a thought to express, express it in your own words rather than mis-attributing that sentiment to someone else. 

2) What scheduling? Just send the notebook share via work chat whenever you feel like it, and your recipient will receive it whenever they happen to log into Evernote. This is no different than email except your recipient didn't need to open their email client. 

3) If you are sharing a notebook, you are by necessity sharing with another Evernote user. In this case there should be nothing "obscure" about a work chat request. 

4) If you are sharing an individual note, it may or may not be with a fellow Evernote user. If you are sharing with a fellow EN user, again, a Work Chat share won't be obscure, it will just show up in their evernote. If your recipient ISN'T an EN user, just use the still-in-(a different) place email functionality. 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to share a notebook with somebody who is rarely on Evernote.  When I entered their email and a message, then clicked the Send button, they never received any email to let them know the notebook was there.  They do not use work chat even when they do get onto Evernote.  

How am I supposed to get them a link to the notebook?  Any help would be appreciated.

Hi bkvl,

When you share a notebook with someone who has never used work chat, they are guaranteed to get an email because we need to be able to tie their email address to their Evernote account via the link in the email.  In addition, the person receiving the work chat with the notebook share MUST click on the link to add the notebook to their account.  Just sending the link won't add the notebook as we didn't want to enable spammers from filling your account with notebooks full of unwanted stuff.

Here are a couple of things to verify with your colleague

1) Did they receive an email from you or Evernote previously stating that you wanted to collaborate with them via chat?  If so, did they click on the "Reply in Evernote" button in the email and login to their account?

2) If they did this, then do the see a work chat message from you with a link to the notebook?  If so, did they click on the notebook link?

You can easily verify #1 if you send another work chat message to the person.  If they got another email, then most likely they missed the first email and should follow through with this more recent email.  If they got a work chat, then most likely the problem is #2.

• 2 months later...

this topic is driving me I NSANE. The emails DO NOT GET RECEIVED. Not in spam filters. Not anywhere. It makes sharing functionally disabled. I love how support bristles at the angst and frustration of the poster and refuses to address the problem. Time for a different line of work?

this topic is driving me I NSANE. The emails DO NOT GET RECEIVED. Not in spam filters. Not anywhere. It makes sharing functionally disabled. I love how support bristles at the angst and frustration of the poster and refuses to address the problem. Time for a different line of work?

Hi Scienceworks,

Sorry for your frustration.  ScottLougheed isn't an Evernote employee.  He's just trying to be helpful.  If you'd follow the links below to file a support ticket that would be the best way to move forward.  We need more information about who you sent the invite to and what steps you took which aren't appropriate for the forums.  

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Scienceworks,

Sorry for your frustration.  ScottLougheed isn't an Evernote employee.  He's just trying to be helpful.  If you'd follow the links below to file a support ticket that would be the best way to move forward.  We need more information about who you sent the invite to and what steps you took which aren't appropriate for the forums.  

Thanks.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr

It shouldn't be so time consuming to get this answered.

I too can track that the emails are NOT being RECEIVED .   PERIOD.   I share a notebook and then go watch the email box where it is going, and NEVER ARRIVES.  Not that hour, that day, that week, that month.  Nothing happens.

And there's no sign of the join or the possiblity of the join in the Evernote account of the recipient either.

VERY FRUSTRATING.

This would be a GOOD PLACE for Evernote folks to explain what the problem typically is, because when I google the question, or search on this forum, this is where the query goes.

It goes to this cirucitous discussion with another futile ending.

Evernote could IMPROVE this situation by putting a better answer here, like

"We found in many cases that xxxxx was happening ...." 

and stop the runaround with request for tech support case --

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rotter,

There may be several problems.  In working with our support there are 2 problems that crop up frequently:

#1 - The receiving user accidentally created a second account upon receiving the invitation as the invite was to an email that isn't the one that they login to Evernote with

#2 - The user missed / deleted the original invitation and our SPAM controls are preventing a second / third invitation from being sent 

Its very difficult to discern the problem without looking into the state of the invitation and your account(s).  This is why I recommend contacting support with your situation so that we can figure out if it is one of the above cases or a new case that we've not encountered before.

The forums is not a great place to diagnose this type of issue as we need personal information that shouldn't be posted in public.   Please file a ticket, post the number and I'll ask a support rep to look into this as soon as possible.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well after trying to share a note today it was impossible for me to explain to a user where to find their shared note, and impossible to get it into their favourites like the past.

As a result, goodbye Evernote, work chat is completely convoluted. in my opinion, a change should be for the better, not making users adhere to your dictated obscurities.

I'm looking for a nice and "simple" note sharing software that everyone can use "easily".

Disgruntled user !

• 3 months later...

I'm very interested in learning how this works too.

I want to create and share a private notebook with new and prospective clients with a number of notes we can do work in.

Sharing the notebook via someone's email worked when I send the share to one of my own non-Evernote linked emails...as in I got an email from Evernote asking me to log in or link to the email or create a new account.

But when I do this for real for new clients, no emails get sent out.....to anyone, whether they have an Evernote account or not.

Archived