Evernote not displaying notes correctly

Norky

Evernote Desktop Pro 5.8.336507

Windows 7

I am having problems with Evernote displaying my notes.   There seem to be a couple of different issues I am finding.

I have my desktop Evernote to display my notes in Snippet form by Update order.

The notes in Shortcuts when clicked do not display the correct note in the main window, It will briefly display the correct note for a split second and then will instead display a different note that was entered and saved months ago in Evernote.  I have 10 notes in Shortcuts and each one exhibits the same problem and displays that same note. 

I find if I select the Shortcut and select Open in New Window the correct note opens however there is no title shown in the Title area and the tags I had entered are no longer there. 

When I re-enter the title it disappears as soon as I go to try to re-enter the tags.  The tags when added do not save on the note.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Evernote and re-synced my notes but am still having the same problems.  

I have Evernote on my iPhone and everything seems to be working correctly there.  The number of notes on the desktop version and the iPhone version agree and the notes seem to be displaying correctly on the iPhone.

Can someone help me troubleshoot this problem?  Is there a folder within the program in Windows that I need to delete to allow the notes to re-sync and display correctly. 

• Level 5*

Provided you have no Local Notebooks or unsynced notes,  it's very easy to rename your databases folder to databases.old and allow Evernote to rebuild it.  Check here for the folder - C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases

Don't forget to File > Exit Evernote first.

• Level 5*

Provided you have no Local Notebooks or unsynced notes,  it's very easy to rename your databases folder to databases.old and allow Evernote to rebuild it.

Gaz, does this database rebuild do something that an uninstall/reinstall would not?

I uninstalled and reinstalled Evernote and re-synced my notes but am still having the same problems.  

• Level 5*

Yes.  Uninstall/ reinstall normally means removing and replacing the software,  but not the database.  Renaming the database folder forces an re-sync and reindex of all notes.

I'm glad you clarified that.  I have always taken "uninstall" to mean removal of everything related to the app.

If I have an app on my PC/Mac I no longer want, and I uninstall it, I sure don't want its data files lying around taking up space.

Is that how Windows normally works, just removes the app (.exe), but not the data?

Just looked this up.  From the Evernote KB Will I lose my notes if I uninstall Evernote?

If you uninstall Evernote, your database of notes on that device will be removed as part of the uninstall process. If, however, you have opted to create any Local (that is, non-synchronized) notebooks, it's important to back these up before uninstalling Evernote or they will be lost.

• Level 5*

Well,  the normal uninstall / reinstall instructions include caveats about backing up the database "just in case" so if the whole thing were removed it wouldn't matter,  but when Evernote Desktop updates it normally removes the old (mostly) and installs the new (usually) so the database holds over from one to the other.  Plus AFAIK most Windows software that saves user data or preferences will give you an option on removal to save your settings,  in case you need the history or are planning to reinstall at some time.  It's often possible to opt for complete removal,  or not.

Revo will nuke everything from orbit if you make the right (wrong?) choices,  which is another reason for using that as a last straw rather than a standard practice.

I'm actually not sure whether the KB is correct on this topic (and it's usually so reliable...) but I know I've uninstalled/ reinstalled a couple of times when updates went wrong and my notes came back just fine.  In this case I have no clue what the OP would have done or what choices may have been made during uninstall,  but it seems like a reasonable baseline-setter to rename the folder (creating another backup in the process just in case) and see what happens.

Between having a real life and answering forum queries I don't have time to test out the uninstall process to see whether or not bad things happen,  but if anyone has any more specific information please let us know.  When you're testing though,  don't forget that database backup first ...  you never know!

Hi!  Original poster here.

Thanks for the suggestion and lively conversation.  I have been out of town so I have not had a chance to test out gazumped's suggestion, will do so tomorrow morning when I am once again sitting at the computer thas has been causing me the headache.

Will advise what I find out.

Archived