Feature request: search results 'filter'

When I do a search using multiple words (all existing in the the note I want), I am often overwhelmed by the vast number of notes found that only have one of the words in my search.  I have to wade thru notes that barely come close to my full request.

I wish there was a way to say, "I ONLY want to see notes that have all of the words in my search".  Then, I'd like the option of seeing notes that do not 100% meet my search request.

If there is a way to do this, I'd love to know, please.

Thank you!

J.

• Level 5*

That is the default mode of search, and should work. I.e., a search on "dog cat mouse camel elephant" should return notes that contain *all* of those words. If you use the "any:" term ("any: dog cat mouse camel elephant"), the search will match notes that have *any* of those words.

What search are you using that causes false positives?

References:

https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23245321

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

• Level 5*

When I do a search using multiple words (all existing in the the note I want), I am often overwhelmed by the vast number of notes found that only have one of the words in my search.  I have to wade thru notes that barely come close to my full request.

I wish there was a way to say, "I ONLY want to see notes that have all of the words in my search".  Then, I'd like the option of seeing notes that do not 100% meet my search request.

If there is a way to do this, I'd love to know, please.

Thank you!

J.

While your Search should return ONLY those Notes that have ALL of the terms in the Search box, sometimes images and PDFs can result in false positives.  EN OCR of images is far from perfect, and they seem to error on the side of finding words in questionable parts of the image that really aren't words.

Keep in mind that an unqualified Search searches  not only Note content, but also Title, Tags, Notebook, and the Search engine adds an implied * to every word, meaning that the text that is searched need only BEGIN with the words in the Search box.

This is one of the reasons that I rely mainly on tags and keywords in the Title for searches.  I might try just a plain, non-qualified search to begin with, but if I get too many hits I switch to using the search qualifiers like "tag:" and "intitle:"

Archived