Inconsistent Dialog Box for "Save As"

When right-clicking to "Save As" an audio file (have not tried with other items like photos/pdfs) I actually get two different menus to choose actions - although both have "Save As".  Once I select "Save As" I am given two different dialog boxes.  Once defaults to the root drive and provides no ability to type a path in - seems to be a custom build dialog.  The other looks like a default windows save as dialog which is more useful, showing common locations, and bringing up the last save location.  The action is intermittent and I cannot easily reproduct one or the other.  Typcially the correct dialog box shows. 

Windows 7 SP1 (64-Bit)

Evernote 5.8.3.6507 (274507) Public

Intel Core i7-4600U @ 2.1GHz / 10GB Ram

- Seems the file size limitation does not allow me to upload all four screenshots of the different behaviors

post-159028-0-00928700-1424800588_thumb.

• Level 5*

I see the menu you are showing; I don't see "Save As.." on it. This one looks like the one you get when you right-click on a note, and you are offered the chance to "Save Attachments...". That's a different operation that right-clicking on an attachment and choosing "Save As..."

Jeff,

You're correct - thanks for the clarity.  If I right click in the note that occurs.  However it seems the audio clips sometimes don't show up in the note and maybe that is why that menu is appearing vs. the menu with save as when you click directly on an item.

In this case where a user selects "Save attachments...", this is really where I'd prefer a different behavior than what is presented.  The dialog that comes up is "Browse for Folder" vs. the standard windows dialog of "Save as".  I understand that there's a bit of difference in function (save multiple files vs. one file) but to the user, you have to navigate all they way down to your folder from the root, vs. having the last save spot from the standard save as dialog.

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2015 at 2:29 AM, dconnet said:

We already have a bug for this.

Why is this not being solved - 1½ years ago! This is such a pita every time you need to use the "Save attachment as" some non-standard save-as dialog is coming up where you have to use a lot of time digging from the root all the way down to where the folder you need is. Come on - sattle the horse :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, mlu said:

Anyone from Evernote reading this????????????

Yes. See the post two above yours.

On 2/24/2015 at 8:29 PM, dconnet said:

We already have a bug for this.

2 hours ago, jefito said:

Yes. See the post two above yours.

Yes probably you are right, unless our friend Dconnet has retired and gone on pension long time ago. Hard to take it serious that it was put on the bug list 1½ decade ago and absolute forgotten, when this simple operation to exchange the proprietary dialog box with a Windows built-in function in a product designed for Windows should not take longer than a few minutes to do.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, mlu said:

Yes probably you are right, unless our friend Dconnet has retired and gone on pension long time ago.

You could find that out for yourself by clicking on their icon and seeing when dconnet's last post was, or hover it to see when their last visit was...

26 minutes ago, mlu said:

Hard to take it serious that it was put on the bug list 1½ decade ago and absolute forgotten, when this simple operation to exchange the proprietary dialog box with a Windows built-in function in a product designed for Windows should not take longer than a few minutes to do.

Um, I'm sure that you meant years, not decades. So years then: 1 1/2 years may seem like a long time to address a seemingly small bug, but bugs and requests do get prioritized. At our small company, we have over 1000 outstanding logged bugs and feature requests for our product. In fairness, sometimes things get lost, but in general, nothing comes for free: you fix this, you give up that. Also, Minus 100 Points...

I understand this MR has a lower priority as there is a work around, but the behavior is challenging and let me outline it again:

Two different dialog boxes are presented when saving attachments:

1. When right-clicking an attachment within a note and selecting Save As... a standard window dialog comes up (behavior as expected.)
  2. Choosing File -> Save Attachments shows a non-standard windows dialog box.

Maybe there's a good reason for this, it's just unexpected, and harder to navigate with the non-standard box.  The work around is to leverage the first option, but when a note has a lot of attachments it's more difficult, or use the second option and click through to find your path.  Using the second option is hard as I simply cannot type in a path, and am forced to navigate a long directory structure with a mouse.

I'm hoping that this is clear and the team prioritizes appropriately.  

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Daren said:

Choosing File -> Save Attachments shows a non-standard windows dialog box.

This is absolutely a standard Windows dialog; see http://superuser.com/questions/612351/can-i-change-the-systems-browse-for-folder-dialog-globally (we use it in our application, as well). Whether it's used appropriately or is convenient to all users is another matter. The two dialogs do serve different purposes though: the first is a SaveAs dialog, which allows you to save your single attachment with a different filename, as well as selecting the folder. The second it intended to save one or more attachments to a folder, with no renaming allowed. 

Interestingly, if you follow the link, you get to the SHBrowseForFolder (SH is for shell functions) documentation, they recommend using, for Vista and above, an API that results in an OpenFiles dialog with a special "pick folders" mode. You can also use a special flag to tell SHBrowseForFolder to add an edit box for typing a path into; I think that that's a newer option. There may be technical reasons why this isn't done by Evernote (they're a 32-bit executable, and they still support XP, maybe?). Not my call; I have no visibility into Evernote's implementation details, except where they share that with us outsiders.

Edit: p.s I did add my vote for this as it seems a better option to have what you've suggested...

Archived