Is the note shared or not? And it won't sync.

Radiophile

Idea

This was going to be a post about syncing trouble I'm having the iOS app and a shared note, but I've discovered a sharing anomaly; maybe it's related.

I have a note that I have shared with my spouse. The EN Mac client says it's shared: "You are viewing a note that is shared with 1 person," it says above the note title. If I click on "1 person" the correct user ID of that person is displayed. But near the upper right corner of the UI there is a drop-down listbox called "Share." If I click the arrow and select Permissions... it says "Nothing to see here! Permissions control view and edit access for shared notes, but this note isn't shared with anyone." Ignoring the poor grammar and construction of that message text, it appears to contradict what it says above the note title. If I click the drop-down arrow and instead select Share Note... it opens a dialog titled "Work Chat" that doesn't already list the person with whom the note is ostensibly already shared. And what is Work Chat, anyway? That's not what I want; it's one of those newfangled features that EN staff waste time creating instead of making sure basic functions are working. Oops, I started to rant. Back on topic, does anyone know what's going on here? My spouse isn't available this evening; otherwise I would have asked her what appears in her shared copy of this note.

5 replies to this idea

[Replying to myself]

When my spouse came home I saw that the updated post had synced correctly on her iPhone. And it had also synced correctly on a PC's EN client. Only my iPhone was not updating, despite many manual syncs that I initiated on its EN client. So, I rebooted the phone, and it immediately displayed the updated note. While I'm glad it finally worked, this is a disturbing bug. The iOS app (7.6.4.313631, BTW) gave no indication that it wasn't actually syncing (or was only syncing some things and not others) when I saw that sync icon spinning, over and over again. I wonder how often I need to reboot my phone so I can sure EN is actually working? :-(

• Level 5

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

There is a bug in the current version where accessing a note from the home screen will not show the updated note (that was modified on another client). This is fixed in version 7.6.5 which was submitted to Apple a week ago. We'll release it shortly after they review it.

Re: Work Chat - this is our feature for collaborating and sharing notes and notebooks with other people. One feature within Work Chat is that it allows users to share individual notes (for viewing or editing) without sharing the entire notebook. Notes shared within Work Chat can be opened within the Evernote mobile, desktop, and web clients just like a regular note.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Chuck

Thank you Chuck for the explanations. Version 7.6.5 seems to have fixed the notes-not-showing-showing-updates problem.

Regarding Work Chat, it looks like EN has two different and independent types of sharing (Work Chat, and the old "regular" sharing) that both use the same name: "share." This seems unfortunate. I have a notebook that has already (a long time ago) been set up to be shared the old regular way, and its sharing is working fine. As a test I tried to share (the old regular way) an unshared notebook. I couldn't figure out how to do it. All the UI share choices led me to a Work Chat dialog, which I don't think is what I want. Looking around, I think I can get to the old regular sharing via "Publish notebook." But if I click 'share' on the Publish Notebook dialog, I go to Work Chat. Maybe if I "publish" to one individual I could get the old sharing. I reread your comment about Work Chat, and maybe you're saying that what I'm calling the old regular sharing is now a subset of Work Chat functionality. Not sure. If so, why invent a new name; instead EN could have simply said that sharing has been enhanced to allow sharing individual notes in addition to whole notebooks. But when I investigate the settings of my original shared notebook I go to the Publish dialog rather than Work Chat, which leads me to believe it's something different. I hope you can appreciate that this shouldn't be so confusing. Constructive criticism: some UI improvements and some documentation would be nice.

I have a notebook that was accidentally shared in toto with a friend. First bad thing for Evernote; all I wanted to do was send them a news article; not my entire Evernote.  Now I added a simple note to my notebook and at the top it says "You are editing a note that is shared with 1 PERSON."  It was a brand new note, but in my standard notebook.  (Not to be shared with Anyone!)  However, the dropdown for the 1 PERSON was an Avatar (e.g., buyabigstor....) for someone I have no idea who (or what) they are.  Is that someone, e.g., buyabigstor, able to look at all my notes?  And who IS that strange person or thing?  It is not the person listed in my shared notebook and the notation has no email address.  First, who is that person or how do I find out? And 2...how do I not have them sharing all my notes?

• Level 5*

I have a notebook that was accidentally shared in toto with a friend. First bad thing for Evernote; all I wanted to do was send them a news article; not my entire Evernote.  Now I added a simple note to my notebook and at the top it says "You are editing a note that is shared with 1 PERSON."  It was a brand new note, but in my standard notebook.  (Not to be shared with Anyone!)  However, the dropdown for the 1 PERSON was an Avatar (e.g., buyabigstor....) for someone I have no idea who (or what) they are.  Is that someone, e.g., buyabigstor, able to look at all my notes?  And who IS that strange person or thing?  It is not the person listed in my shared notebook and the notation has no email address.  First, who is that person or how do I find out? And 2...how do I not have them sharing all my notes?

Hi.  As you now presumably realise it's possible to share both individual notes and entire notebooks,  but not the whole account.  If you shared a notebook then you need to unshare it to remove access to all the notes to which you didn't mean to allow access.  I've no idea who or what 'buyabigstor' might be - Google comes up with a blank,  which is pretty unusual for any system level term in any software.  I'd suggest you disable sharing everywhere and start over to see what comes up...

Archived