Option to disable Work Chat

nuclearpengy

Idea

Let me start off by saying I think more businesses need to use IM instead of Email as their primary form of internal communication, so I think it's interesting that Evernote decided to build a chat.

I do however feel being 'opted in' to a chat ecosystem that I did not want to be part of is not ideal.

I have Slack, Skype, Hangouts, iMessage, Facebook, Twitter all demanding attention yet serving a distinct purpose.

I respect that some people might want to, and might actually even fall in love with Work Chat.

I however personally would like the option to disable it. I'd like to be able to log into the web interface, select Work Chat and simply disable it on my account. I would then like all buttons and call to actions relating to it to be hidden from the iOS, Mac and Windows User Interfaces so that I'm not constantly spammed by buttons I will never use.

====

Honestly though, Sync is horrendous at the moment and I feel that time spent on chat would have been better spent fixing the buggy sync system, adding Markdown support, improving encryption at rest or adding the option to view notes in 'night mode' with light text on a dark background instead of black text on a white background.

Focus needs to be given to Evernote Core and not spent on non-core features when core is suffering.

Thank you

A loyal premium user.

12 replies to this idea

Another Premium user that will never use Work Chat and do not want to see it.

I work alone and love Evernote for its organizational features. I can hide Work Chat on my iPhone but not in my Mac app. Would like to be able to do that. Also, would like this info in your documentation. Do not like having to hunt in user forums for this info.

+1

Work chat came a little too late and I think everyone's found their preferred medium for chat.

But for those that haven't, work chat is great but please provide the ability to turn it off.

Let me start off by saying I think more businesses need to use IM instead of Email as their primary form of internal communication, so I think it's interesting that Evernote decided to build a chat.

I do however feel being 'opted in' to a chat ecosystem that I did not want to be part of is not ideal.

I have Slack, Skype, Hangouts, iMessage, Facebook, Twitter all demanding attention yet serving a distinct purpose.

I respect that some people might want to, and might actually even fall in love with Work Chat.

I however personally would like the option to disable it. I'd like to be able to log into the web interface, select Work Chat and simply disable it on my account. I would then like all buttons and call to actions relating to it to be hidden from the iOS, Mac and Windows User Interfaces so that I'm not constantly spammed by buttons I will never use.

====

Honestly though, Sync is horrendous at the moment and I feel that time spent on chat would have been better spent fixing the buggy sync system, adding Markdown support, improving encryption at rest or adding the option to view notes in 'night mode' with light text on a dark background instead of black text on a white background.

Focus needs to be given to Evernote Core and not spent on non-core features when core is suffering.

Thank you

A loyal premium user.

If you don't want to see work chat in your Mac interface you can customize your toolbar and sidebar and hide the controls.

Chat is pretty embedded in the way Evernote shares files. For example, there's no way to share a file with someone without doing it in a Chat.

So it's more than just customizing the toolbar I think.

Please correct me if i'm wrong on this point.

It's possible to share link to a note directly without using chat.

I've managed to get rid of the buttons on OS X, but it's still on iOS. There are actually 2 chat buttons I can't get rid of.

It's a waste of UI space and I don't like having unneeded buttons on the screen.

I however feel that I should not need to customise the GUI on each device I use. I want a global Evernote account option to disable chat. I want it completely gone from my account.

It should be simple, it's a 0 or a 1 in a database.

If set to 0 don't show the buttons or options.

if set to 1 show all of the chat options.

@Kathleen StringerThe work chat you received is from a spammer. The sender doesn’t have access to our user list or any of our servers, and isn't targeting Evernote users specifically or exclusively. We've been working to identify the accounts being used, and have disabled them. We're continuing to look for new accounts being used for delivering spam and will block them as well.

However, we haven’t deleted any of the work chat messages sent from this spammer. You can delete unwanted Work Chats by using the following steps:

* On Evernote Web: Select the Work Chat icon from the side panel, hover your mouse over the Work Chat, and click the Trash icon

* On Mac or Windows: Open your Work Chats, right-click the Work Chat and select Delete

* On iOS: Select View on the Work Chat section from your home screen, then swipe left on the chat you want to delete and select Delete

* On Android: Open Work Chat and tap and hold on the chat you wish to delete. There will be another window that pops up to confirm if you wish to see the summary or delete the chat.

You're missing the point. Let us opt-out of Work Chat completely.

Evernote struggles to convert "free" users to paid users then shoves spammy functionality down the throat of the paying user.

I'm really impressed with the improvements to the Web UI, honestly it's quite beautiful, but Work Chat must go.

Archived