Getting a oversize audio file off my iphone onto my computer

So I 'inadvertently' recorded a massive audio file, (an hour long) on evernote, about a year ago - everytime I use evernote on my iphone I get a warning about it and suggestions to go premium, so I largely stopped using evernote for this reason. I want to get back into using it again, which means clearing this file of my iphone but I want to keep it, I don't need it synced or on evernote, I just want the file. Then I promise I'll be good and not record anything over 25mb again!

Can this be done? As a last resort, I'll take a lineout of the headphone jack and play it into my mac, but I'm hoping there's another way.

thanks,

D.

Hi Gazumped,

I get airdrop (as far as I know doesn't work between ios and osx, but it's certainly not showing up for me, then I get :

message, twitter, facebook, pocket, toodledo, evernote, flipboard, google+ ... all conceivably cloud but won't actually download a file. Pocket just saves the note for example.

Underneath that (these are the extensions right?) print, run workflow (I tried a save to dropbox workflow here, that just saved the message as well, no audio file.), add to informant, mail (doesn't attach audio), copy link, and export note. 

Export note goes straight to email, copy link public doesn't work, and copy note private gives me address that when I click on the link gives an error saying 'is not a valid note guid' (sic)

Thanks,

D.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Are you a DropBox user?  If not can you join and download the app?  You should find it will add itself to the 'share' menu so you can send files there...  Or there's Google Drive or OneDrive or Box...

Oddly, Dropbox doesn't show up as an option, I do have it installed. Same with Google drive. Dropbox works with other apps, though not as an extension I don't think. I have no idea why it's not working with Evernote. Do you have any ideas?

• Level 5*

@Gaz, I'm sure it's very tough trying to diagnose a device you don't have.

@Damoeire:  I have an iPhone 6+ and I'm a DropBox user.

Turns out that this is an Evernote design flaw or bug.

Once I open the Note with the audio file in Evernote iOS, there is NO way to share just the file with anything.

Unlike PDFs, images, and other attachments, Evernote iOS does not support sharing of audio files.

When I open the audio file in EN to listen, there should be a "Share" button on the screen.  But there is not.

When the "Share" button does appear in Evernote, it does NOT show DropBox because DropBox only supports files, not Notes.  All I see on my Share popup is Message, Evernote, Pocket, OneNote, and Instapaper.

So, the only way I see, other than by EN sync, of getting the EN audio recording on another device is by the old, analog, manual means.  Plug an audio cable into your iPhone and the other device (like a Mac or PC), press record on the other device and play on your iPhone.

As suggested by the OP:

As a last resort, I'll take a lineout of the headphone jack and play it into my mac, but I'm hoping there's another way.

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2015 at 11:33 AM, Damoeire said:
Export note goes straight to email

Why didn't you try that? I emailed the note to myself, opened the file on my Mac, and the note imported into Evernote beautifully. Then it turned out that it was already there…??

Archived