How to save the shared note on Work Chat to my Notebook

I have been using work chat for quite some time. I need to know - how to save the notes shared by my friend to my notebook?

To check for the shared notes - I need to keep on going back to the work chat discussion .. Is there a way where the shared notes get automatically/manually saved to my "Notes" 

Going back to the chat and searching for the required note is a very cumbersome process, especially when there are many notes being shared with your friends/co-workers

Thanks

• 1 month later...

It's not a great solution, but I found a work-around until a permanent solution might be launched:

Open work chat from your iOS device (not possible on desktop) and click on your friend's shared note link there to open the note. Then click on the 'three dots' (more) button in the lower right corner on your device and choose 'duplicate'. The note will now be saved in your default notebook with the same title and the addition 'Copy of....'. Rename it and save it wherever you want.

On the Windows client:

1. Open the note shared via Work Chat

2. Click on "Note" in the uppermost toolbar

3. Hit "Copy to Notebook..."

4. Choose your destination notebook

* There's the option to preserve your created and updated dates, as well as tags

• 2 months later...

I can see where I can copy note to a notebook - but when I open the note from the notebook, it does not reflect new changes.  In order to see changes I have to go back to the Chat - cumbersome!    Any workarounds??

• Level 5*

If you save the note,  you're saving a snapshot of its current state,  not an active shared document.  Unless you can copy/ paste the content of your updated Workchat note into the copied version,  i think you'd have to copy the note each time it changes.

gazumped--

The copy/paste did not work.  But your response got me thinking....and I found a solution!

I copied the Note Link into my own note; it works! 

Thanks for your help!

Rona

• 1 month later...

@42 It's Mr. to you:  Thanks for the tip on Copy to Notebook.  That worked perfectly for me.  I just wanted the note in my folders as my set is the official one, shared with the rest of the team.

• 2 months later...

It would be great if Evernote would allow shared notes to be added to my "notes".  Finding them every time in the work chat isn't a great system.  I'd love to keep everything in Evernote, but I'll have to use Google Docs for collaborating until this is possible.  Hopefully soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

I second these opinions! I love Evernote but found it soooo frustrating to not be able to move freely the shared notes from my work chat to my notebooks. I didn't think to check out the forum to find a solution for this, initially, as I really thought I was missing an obvious icon or something...

Right now, for each shared documents I want to work on, it ends up in a too messy -and counter-productive- architecture in my 'notebooks' folder with a multitude of individual notebooks listed that I can't reorganise and hierarchise.

The link copy option is a temporary solution but not convenient enough for my needs of a comprehensive view.. So here too, I still have to deal with several cloud systems at the same time to make it up for each one's shortcomings.

• 3 months later...

I am an early adopter of Evernote and have been a premium customer for years. I use Evernote on Mac and until the workchat got foisted on me, I never had a problem sharing a note book or keeping one in sync with someone else until workshcat. 

When I share a note or a friend shares a note with me,  I have no way of putting this note into my Evernote library - it is stuck in workchat purgatory and I cannot seem to rescue it.   I cannot open or import the note into my evernote library and cannot even add it to a note book ??

I never used or wanted chat and it has made Evernote completely unusable for me as the only reason i use it is to share and store notes.  .  I searched through the docs and the video and the issue seems unaddressed so perhaps I am doing something wrong or missing something obvious.   Any help would be great ..

• 1 month later...

So this has been going on for more than a year now and Evernote still has not resolved it. It's completely dumbfounding to me; what are you thinking; who on earth wants to go into chat to try and find notes your collaborating on?  Collaboration on notes is one of the CORE FEATURES of Evernote. Not having easy and organised access to shared notes really brings into question if I should move on to something more suitable

If this has been resolved, the solution is certainly not as obvious as it should be.....but would love some more input.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2016 at 4:43 PM, Azwan said:

So this has been going on for more than a year now and Evernote still has not resolved it. It's completely dumbfounding to me; what are you thinking; who on earth wants to go into chat to try and find notes your collaborating on?  Collaboration on notes is one of the CORE FEATURES of Evernote. Not having easy and organised access to shared notes really brings into question if I should move on to something more suitable

Exactly. ^^^

Evernote premium user of 5 years here. I just discovered this latest problem with Work Chat when attempting to collaborate with another Evernote user. Can we all just agree that work chat is a HORRIBLE feature that should never have been rolled out in the first place? The original sharing mechanism was fine. Worked exactly as one would expect. This is counterintuitive and makes me go to other solutions like google docs for collaboration. It really shouldn't be this difficult people. This is bad enough that I'm actively seeking alternative platforms. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2016 at 0:07 PM, jeffskelton3 said:

Exactly. ^^^

Evernote premium user of 5 years here. I just discovered this latest problem with Work Chat when attempting to collaborate with another Evernote user. Can we all just agree that work chat is a HORRIBLE feature that should never have been rolled out in the first place? The original sharing mechanism was fine. Worked exactly as one would expect. This is counterintuitive and makes me go to other solutions like google docs for collaboration. It really shouldn't be this difficult people. This is bad enough that I'm actively seeking alternative platforms. 

I have to "cosign" on these sentiments!  I've also been a premium user for a number of years. I didn't realize individual shared notes were stuck in work chat until today as I'm trying to collaborate with a colleague on one note that we both expected would show up in our own Notes list. It sounds like that can only happen if we place the note(s) in a shared notebook, however (haven't tested yet).  SMDH!

• 1 month later...

Adding my voice to this thread.  Evernote, PLEASE fix this!  It's an obvious and essential function and it is frustrating to not have it.  When someone shares a note with me I should be able to move it into a notebook, and changes I make to it should be reflected in both copies (assuming I have editing permission). Please, please, please do something about this!

• Level 5*

Not sure if this is still valid for Windows (it was a few versions ago) but I used to have a note that:

On the Windows client:

* There's an option to preserve your created and updated dates, as well as tags

NB This gets you a snapshot of the note as it stands when you copy it - it's not a 'live' shared document.  If you need to see the latest version of the note when you need to,  copy the shared note link into a new note you create.  You can jump to the newest version whenever you need to.

AFAIK if you share out the new note in a new chat,  it becomes a new chat object and would have its own separate life from the original.

Don't know if there are any useful changes in the pipeline.  I'd agree there are many more friendly tools out there for document collaboration - and given that Drive now integrates with Evernote,  maybe Google Docs is a viable option...

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
On 05/08/2016 at 10:33 AM, drrrumzzz said:

...here is one more voice asking that it should be possible not only to permanently share+update entire notebooks, but also SINGLE NOTES.

Thank you ;-)

Hi.  That's not what this thread is about,  and it IS (and always has been) possible to share both notes and notebooks.

On 07/08/2016 at 0:49 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  That's not what this thread is about,  and it IS (and always has been) possible to share both notes and notebooks.

....of course this has been possible. But the topic here is that individual shared notes remain "stuck in the work chat" (quote from Chris T) which is not practical at all. Once moved in whatever notebook, there is no more sync.  So I wish, as many here, that any note can be moved in Evernote while staying shared & synchronized. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

NONE of the advice above actually works, to keep a convenient and permanent reference to the original note, which was originally shared via work chat, with full edit privileges to me.

YES, one can make a distinct and separate copy of the note and save that copy in a notebook. This copy will NOT update as the person who originally shared the original note, updates the original note.  Instead your copy will be a point-in-time snapshot of that note.  Therefore, this is NOT a solution to keeping a reference to the actual live note of the other person. The "create link using the client" techniques just re-implement this point-in-time snapshot which isn't what I want on this occasion.

ALTHOUGH one can make a new personal note, add a hyperlink, and use the URL which was provided in the work chat as the hyperlink, although the hyperlink appears to work initially, the hyperlink stops working if the browser tab is closed, the https://www.evernote.com/Home.action page is opened, the personal note is accessed, and the hyperlink clicked on once again.  It says: "Can't open note. Either you need permission to access or the note was moved.".  Although clicking on the original work chat again and accessing the note via that link does work, after which the hyperlink in the personal note resumes working too.  Therefore, this is also NOT a solution to keeping a reference to the actual live note of the other person anywhere other than in the original work chat message. 

Any other ideas?

• Level 5*
On 22/02/2017 at 7:14 AM, another Mark said:

Any other ideas?

Get the person sharing the note to you to do so by putting it into a shared notebook which you can 'add' to your account.  If a note is shared with editing rights you will retain those right for as long as the notebook is shared with you,  and showing any edits which you and/or other party(ies) have applied.

If a note is copied from a shared notebook not another notebook it becomes a snapshot of that moment - no further editing follows.

• 3 weeks later...

Evernote must make sharing and collaborating on individual notes an option. I do not want to have to share whole notebooks with someone just so that we can collaborate on one note together, within Evernote. Much like Google Drive, it should be possible to keep one's own shared notes organized however one would like, while still being able to collaborate easily on this note.

Please make this possible soon. This is embarrassing.

Please make this possible soon. This is embarrassing.

Nothing to add, thank you .   Perhaps this is very tricky from a technical point of view?! Otherwise, I don't understand why Evernote has not implemented the option many users are waiting for. 

• Level 5*
On 14/03/2017 at 7:01 PM, Alon said:

Evernote must make sharing and collaborating on individual notes an option.

3 hours ago, drrrumzzz said:

I don't understand why Evernote has not implemented the option many users are waiting for. 

It is already possible to share one note and collaborate with others.  This discussion is about copying the dynamic note content into a local notebook while changes are still ongoing.

What exactly is Evernote missing here?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Evernote, 

What the ...???

This topic has been going on for almost 2 1/2 years and still nothing. Live collaborating on a single note. Premium users request and now for this long, demand this. 

This is simple stuff and can be a waste of time for some. I saw that some people above searched for a document that they thought they had only to dig deep to find it in the chat. I've done this multiple times, all confused. This is far from intuitive. 

"copy to notebook" and sharing a whole Notebook aren't good solutions. 

Let's all share a note like everyone on this thread thinks we should be able to do. 

Get on it Evernote coders, you can do it. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/24/2016 at 12:48 PM, Innovative Nous Consulting said:

Just worked with a client using Chromebook today and ran into this issue.  Here's our work-a-round:

1. Sender created a shared link and sent it via the chat
  2. Receiver clicked the link and it opened via the web browser
  3. Clicked "Save to Evernote" in upper right corner

Now they have a shared (updating) working copy in their notes.  Hope this helps.

I cannot (EN Mac 6.13.1 direct) get this method to work (now).

In my experience, the resulting note, saved to receiver's Notebook, is not a shared (active mutually editable) note.

Any ideas?

EN Mac Version 6.13.1 (455785 Direct)

I did find something that gave me a little hope (at least for creating an internal link to a note shared via Work Chat) but it appears to be a dead-end (at least in my experience). Would be interested if anyone else has luck with it.

Here goes:

• Open note shared with you in Work Chat
  • Click on "Share" button in upper right corner of note window
  • Click on "More Sharing" button in lower left of dialogue box
  • Click "Copy Internal Link"
  • TRY to paste the copied Internal Link into a note in my Notebook. (For me this results in nothing. Nothing is pasted to the note in my Notebook.)

Based on the structure It seems like EN's intent is to (at least) make internal linking to a note shared in Work Chat possible, but even then, the workflow is broken at the copy/paste step.

Thoughts? Ideas? Better experiences?

2 hours ago, Steve Lytle said:

EN Mac Version 6.13.1 (455785 Direct)

I did find something that gave me a little hope (at least for creating an internal link to a note shared via Work Chat) but it appears to be a dead-end (at least in my experience). Would be interested if anyone else has luck with it.

Here goes:

• Open note shared with you in Work Chat
  • Click on "Share" button in upper right corner of note window
  • Click on "More Sharing" button in lower left of dialogue box
  • Click "Copy Internal Link"
  • TRY to paste the copied Internal Link into a note in my Notebook. (For me this results in nothing. Nothing is pasted to the note in my Notebook.)

Based on the structure It seems like EN's intent is to (at least) make internal linking to a note shared in Work Chat possible, but even then, the workflow is broken at the copy/paste step.

Thoughts? Ideas? Better experiences?

I have been working with a real estate firm and the only solution that I was able to implement was:

1. Create a shared Notebook (shared with all agents) called Agents Inbox

2. Create a Notebook for each agent (ex. @John-Doe)

3. Contracts and other documents are shared via the Agent Inbox

4. Forms and company-wide documents are shared via their personal inbox

I have found this to work well.  The notes can be collaborated on and edited if shared with those rights.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2015 at 6:05 PM, gazumped said:

Good call - you're a Chat Guru!

thanks for this trick, but it doesn't reflect Evernote's collaborative high standard in 2018. any chances that we can save a shared note through chat to my notebook in 2018? this forum has been created in 2015. fingers crossed. 

On 6/17/2016 at 4:28 AM, gazumped said:

Not sure if this is still valid for Windows (it was a few versions ago) but I used to have a note that:

On the Windows client:

* There's an option to preserve your created and updated dates, as well as tags

NB This gets you a snapshot of the note as it stands when you copy it - it's not a 'live' shared document.  If you need to see the latest version of the note when you need to,  copy the shared note link into a new note you create.  You can jump to the newest version whenever you need to.

AFAIK if you share out the new note in a new chat,  it becomes a new chat object and would have its own separate life from the original.

Don't know if there are any useful changes in the pipeline.  I'd agree there are many more friendly tools out there for document collaboration - and given that Drive now integrates with Evernote,  maybe Google Docs is a viable option...

is it working for Mac?

Archived