Why "No Attachments to Index" when I attach a pdf?

I'm fairly new to the EN premium world, but one of the things I was hoping for was to maximize the indexing feature within notes. I'm doing a lot of research in a library, and it'd be great if I could scan pages from a book (as a PDF), drop them into EN, and then be able to search it later. I guess I might be confused. Why when I do just that does it say "no attachments to index"?

What do I have to do, if anything, to have those pdfs searchable?

Am I missing something?

• Level 5*

Searching inside scanned PDF documents is a premium / business feature.  If you're leaving Evernote to do the OCR on the scan it can take some hours to get the attachment processed and indexed.  If the attachment is in the queue it might count as something that is 'being indexed' therefore the message might be worded correctly.  No personal experience here though - I do my own OCR before uploading.  After a day or so are your documents indexed and searchable?

• Level 5*

I'm fairly new to the EN premium world, but one of the things I was hoping for was to maximize the indexing feature within notes. I'm doing a lot of research in a library, and it'd be great if I could scan pages from a book (as a PDF), drop them into EN, and then be able to search it later. I guess I might be confused. Why when I do just that does it say "no attachments to index"?

What do I have to do, if anything, to have those pdfs searchable?

Am I missing something?

Since you *are* a Premium account owner, the OCR by Evernote might be completed very quickly, even within minutes if the PDF is not too large.  Sometimes though, it can take longer.  You might need to manually sync to get the indexing quicker.

The notice on attachment indexing may not be reliable.  I have seen reports where the PDF was searchable, but the notice indicated otherwise.

Have you tried going to the Note with the PDF, and doing a FIND (not search) on just that Note for text you know is in the PDF?

Like Gaz, I also OCR all my PDF scans before attaching to Evernote.  I have found this much more reliable, better OCR, and provides text in the PDF that I can copy/highlight.  I'm guessing that you are using a smartphone to scan in the library.  There are iOS apps that will scan and OCR.  After the OCR you could then send/attach to Evernote.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Archived