Copy paste not working after update to 6.0.6

Hi

I'm on a Macbook using OSX 10.8.5 and have just upgraded to the Evernote 6.0.6 app this afternoon.

Since doing so I've lost the ability to paste text into a note, either using the hot keys or via the menu.

Anyone else having this issue?

Steve

• Level 5*

Hi

I'm on a Macbook using OSX 10.8.5 and have just upgraded to the Evernote 6.0.6 app this afternoon.

Since doing so I've lost the ability to paste text into a note, either using the hot keys or via the menu.

Anyone else having this issue?

Steve

EN Mac 6.0.6 is working fine for me on 3 Macs.  Never had an issue pasting, even immediately after the update.

I haven't seen any other reports on this issue recently, but there was an issue back in 2013:  

Copy and Paste Not Exactly Working

Not likely to have the same exact cause, but it's just an example of how pasting could and can be an issue for some.

If you want more info, do a google on "evernote mac paste".

If after restart and letting your EN Mac run for a few hours, the problem persists, then I'd suggest that you Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Having the same issue. I can paste into TextWrangler and TextEdit, but not Evernote.

My workaround is dragging and dropping. I notice the issue happens more freqently with URLs I'm copying from my web browsers.

Same issue here as well on OS X 10.9.5 / Evernote 6.0.6 (451290 App Store): trying to paste URLs from other applications, but no URL/text visible in the note. To be more specific, I've experienced this when copying text from Google Chrome/Safari + Flash plug-in, and as well directly from Terminal (start Terminal, "nano", enter "http://www.evernote.com",use mouse to select URL, copy). Maybe unformatted text is causing this issue?

There is no difference in using "⌘V / Edit > Paste" or "Edit > Paste and Match Style". Keeping ⌘V pressed down for a few seconds changes the regular blinking and waiting cursor into a constant and busy cursor line. Seems Evernote is busy doing something. But without visible result.

I've worked-around via TextEdit, and was able to paste URLs into Evernote via "Edit > Paste and Match Style". But still not via "Edit > Paste".

Have submitted this as a bug as suggested by JMichael.

Having the same issue. I can paste into TextWrangler and TextEdit, but not Evernote.

My workaround is dragging and dropping. I notice the issue happens more freqently with URLs I'm copying from my web browsers.

This is my exact issue - it seems to only be with URLs.

I have narrowed my issue down to having a "?" in the URL.

If I copy this link:  http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/26/avatron-air-display-3-for-ios/?utm_source=osx&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=ios

I can't paste it into Evernote.  I can take that URL and put it into TextEdit and then copy/paste it out to Evernote, and of course it's got the styling with it.

If I remove everything starting with the ? and am left with this:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/26/avatron-air-display-3-for-ios/

I have no problem with copying and pasting that URL into Evernote.

This is on every URL with a ? in it.  If I remove the ?, I can copy/paste into Evernote.  Very annoying though since many URLs I am copying/pasting require a ? in them (i.e. URLs that have search links in them).

This is Evernote 6.0.6 on OS X 10.9.5

I will submit it as a bug as well, but I'm very curious if the problem for you is a "?" in the URL.

Fantastic work tracking that down austex .... but I just tried it and no issue !

I tried it with and without a question mark and also on Chrome, Firefox and Safari - which is really odd as it was definitely NOT working.

I'll keep monitoring it.

Interestingly when you paste a link without a ? it adds a clickable link in Evernote, but when the ? is there it's just text that's pasted.

Hello all,

Found this thread as I am having this problem too. I tried removing the "?" in the browser bar, the cutting/pasting into a note. Then manually add the "?" back into the string. But if you click on the resulting string it doesn't create the link with the question mark.

• Level 5

Thank you!

We were not able to reproduce this until now. The issue does not appear on Yosemite, and only appears when the url contains a ? and a &.

The issue has been filed internally and our developers are investigating.

As a workaround you can paste into TextEdit (for example) and then copy and paste into Evernote

Thank you!

We were not able to reproduce this until now. The issue does not appear on Yosemite, and only appears when the url contains a ? and a &.

As a workaround you can paste into TextEdit (for example) and then copy and paste into Evernote

Well that didn't quite work for me.

My Work Around

1) cut link in TEXT Edit

2) insert aline of garbage text above the link

3) copy both lines 

4) Paste into a note

5) delete garbage line

6 )link works when clicked on

Thank you!

Thank you guys!

In thinking about it, I bet that the URLs I had problems with all had an & as well as a ? and I just noticed that it went away when I took out everything starting at the ? and I never thought to see if any other characters were having issues.

I first noticed it on some genealogy database websites last week, where I would try to copy a link to a specific record, and it would have one or more ?'s, &'s, etc. in the link and I just assumed it was an issue with the URLs those sites were generating (which were usually long as well).  

I saw it again this morning with that link I posted above from a completely different type of site, so I knew there was something definitely wrong.

My workaround (until this is fixed) is to simply create a Bit.ly link for the webpage, then copy/paste that in. Rarely---if ever?---does Bit.ly use an & or ? in their links...at least I haven't run into one yet, and I use Bit.ly a lot. 

• 3 months later...

I am seeing this problem with Version 6.0.15 (451806 Direct) on Yosemite 10.10.4, but it's a bit different. Copy/paste into EN does not work depending on what you are pasting. For example, pasting a json doc like the one below does not work for me. If I put any characters in front of the first {, then it works.

{ usersInfo: { user: <name>, db: <db> },

showCredentials: <Boolean>,
  showPrivileges: <Boolean>
}
  • 2 weeks later...

I am seeing this problem with Version 6.0.15 (451806 Direct) on Yosemite 10.10.4, but it's a bit different. Copy/paste into EN does not work depending on what you are pasting. For example, pasting a json doc like the one below does not work for me. If I put any characters in front of the first {, then it works.

}

I'm having this issue also. Can't paste JSON data. If I put a ? before the first { the paste works.

• Level 5*

Please report this as a bug.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

I've been going back and forth with support and it sounds like we're SOL on pasting json into a document.

TL;DR: Don't hold your breath on pasing JSON anytime soon.

Ok, thanks so much for the log. It looks like Evernote's text editing program does not currently support coding, which is why you're unable to paste it into a note. I would, however, be happy to pass your request along to our Product Development team for their consideration.

Please keep an eye on our blog as that is where any major Evernote service changes would be announced.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

My response

I don't need to code in it, but I do need the ability to paste in text. Even shift+cmd+p should be able to just dump the text into evernote. I looked in the error log and it does have a problem trying to paste the text.

Support said

Yes, this is because its not supported. I will go ahead and pass your feedback along to our development team.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Level 5

Copy/paste into EN does not work depending on what you are pasting. For example, pasting a json doc like the one below does not work for me. If I put any characters in front of the first {, then it works.

}

I just tried copying your example and pasting into Evernote and it worked fine. What application are you copying from?

texteditor on osx.

This is what I sent to QA.

{
"id": "moreSearch",
"stateData": {
"type": "photoSearch"
}
}
paste that into texteditor, or any other text editor and then paste it into evernote. nothing happens and there is an error in the log.
  • Level 5

texteditor on osx.

This is what I sent to QA.

{
"id": "moreSearch",
"stateData": {
"type": "photoSearch"
}
}
paste that into texteditor, or any other text editor and then paste it into evernote. nothing happens and there is an error in the log.

Thanks. I had tried copying from TextEdit, but it turns out the document I had open was rich text, so it worked fine. As soon as I converted it to plain text I was able to reproduce.

• Level 5

Does this fall under trying to make evernote a coding platform or is it a bug because I just want to paste some text?

This is a bug. You should be able to paste any text into the editor. 

Does this fall under trying to make evernote a coding platform or is it a bug because I just want to paste some text?

This is a bug. You should be able to paste any text into the editor. 

Is there a button somewhere I can use to buy you a beer?

• 2 months later...

Archived