Request: Choose what thumbnail appears on Notebook

kstenson

Idea

I like that the notebook's snippet view has an image thumbnail (if image is loaded). But the image changes based on most recent upload? It would be great if you could determine and lock the image. 

Use case 1: I have a notebook for all of my clients, that has my discussion notes, crucial profile data, etc. I would like the thumbnail to be my clients' logos. Makes them easier to identify.

Use case 2: Put profile picture of a contact. I have notebooks to keep notes on my clients and try to get familiar with them.

post-249731-0-15281400-1424457387_thumb.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  There's an algorythm to choose the picture that's displayed,  which for some reason is the one with the 'smallest longest dimension'  or was that the 'longest smallest dimension'...  anyhoo.  Most folks either don't select one specific picture,  or just keep one file in picture format,  which will default to the thumbnail.  Just rename any other pictures in the note - modern image software is mostly smart enough to recognise the right format even if the file extension is not known.  Or you could zip any images that aren't required as the thumbnail.  Thanks for the suggestion though - it may be adopted for some future update...

I save a lot multiple image as art references in one notes and I want to be able to choose which image to use as a thumbnail so I can find the note from a quick visual scan. It really should be just a right click on the image and pick as thumbnail. The answer that most people don't select one specific picture may be because you CANT at the moment and even though few request the functionality it doesn't make the request unreasonable. Having to deal with an extra image just to create a thumbnail clusters down the note and it introduces painful extra work.

@kstenson... i've found a go-around, around this.  i also wanted specific images as the main image for each note, as it makes it much easier to select the note based on the thumbnail.  and yes, as i added additional pics to that note, the thumbnail would change in many instances.

what i've seen is, the largest pic (in terms of dimensions, file size etc) in your note, will be chosen as the thumbnail. 

so although it is sometimes time consuming and tedious, when i have new pics to add to a note, i always make sure the size is not i.e., the standard 2mb size snapped via my phone.  i resize pics i want to add to the note to smaller web dimensions (i.e. 640 x 480), and then i attach them to the note.  

but for my main image to i.d. and thumbnail the note, i always make sure it has larger dimensions and file size.  and it has worked for me so far 100%, that the largest pic will be the thumbnail pic.

an additional thing i do is, i put that largest pic at the very very bottom of the note, where it is "out of the way" and allows me working space at the top of the note.  or, you can also visually resize it and leave it at the top of the note, but i like room at the top of the note to work, and i don't need the main picture staring at me right from there. 

• Level 5*

Yup.  The official (and slightly Zen) image-fu is that the picture with the "largest smallest dimension" is used as the thumbnail.  By definition (mostly) the biggest picture will have the necessary stats to qualify.  Good workaround though.  :)

Archived