Clipping youtube and podcasts.... again

Hi,

I know this subject was mentioned in the forums in the past. I also know that in the past there was a short anwser that EN does not support multimedia. Just wanted to ask if anything has changed in this subject? Maybe some kind of new workarounds?

Basically I would like to be able to somehow capture youtube videos and podcasts into notes. I do not want links, I want to have an actual embedded youtube screen into a note. i.e. I have a recepie and below it there would be a youtube window with a guy actually cooking the meal; or I go to a salsa class and at the end of the lesson instructor is showing the new steps that where presented on the course that I record with my phone and would like to make a note out of this movie, with actual player window inside the note and not with a movie icon.....

Whenever I do internet research probably half of the content I look for online is in the form of a movie or audio file. I prefer it to reading. It is faster and more efficient for me. In the past whenever I tried to start using evernote lack of media support was a deal breaker for me. What is they point of having "one inbox" if I cannot put half of my content into it... The sad thing is that I have not managed to find any other similar software that would allow me to have media support. Pocket is a nice tool and would do the trick if only it allowed to edit articles in any way before archiving them. Unfortnatelly you can only mark entire webpages with it.....

• Level 5*

There are ways that you can grab youtube videos and then you can add them to notes.

Remember though that the maximum note size for Premium users is 100mb.

On the Mac client, I can view video files from within a note. No idea what Windows does.

So I guess there is still no workaround. This really amazes me that EN still refuses to implement something as obvious as streaming support. Actually it would be unfair to direct it to EN only, as no note taking software I saw has this capability. Pocket is the closest thing that I have seen that allows you to create your personal audio/video library. However, its tagging capabilities are very limited and does not allow you to edit articles in any way....

I am starting to think that this would actually be a great idea for a new app/software. Since there is nothing on the market that does the job. 

• Level 5*

Haven't seen Evernote 'refuse' to do anything - they just haven't gotten around to this yet.  No telling whether or not it's in the priority list,  and if so how high.  There might be legal issues in the way too,  since the ownership of video content is usually a sensitive issue.  - Might explain why no note-taking apps include a streaming option yet...

Yeah yeah... seen this story before. Not really interested in seeing it again. Images and files are often copyright protected too and somehow no problem in supporting them. However, when something is not implemented by EN all of the sudden copyright protection becomes an issue.... 

Bottom line is EN does not support video streams which makes it useless to me. See you on the forum in another year with same question.

This is my first post.  I have to say that I totally agree with the original poster it is very strange that EN does not allow one to incorporate video. If there is a problem with copyright issues then EN should just come out and make an official statement explaining the issue. 
Maintaining silence and just ignoring the issue does not seem to be responsible corporate conduct. Very strange.

Haha.... I think that I might have solved the mystery... This might not be about video content being copyright protected but about the entire idea of notetaking videostreams being patented. This is what I found online when searching for "notetaking video streams":

http://www.google.co.in/patents/US20020163548

This is not exactly patent for embedding streams into notes. This is more about annotating streams and in this way creating notes out of them. However, I bet that if one searches deep enough one will find a patent for just that thing.

BTW.

I have just found an interesting site that in a way supports video notes: Videonot.es.

This is far from the functionality that would satisfy me, but that is a start.

People using EN I believ can utilize this tool quite easily. Videonot creates a google drive file. By the means of IFTT site, I guess, you can make a rule that link to this google drive note is added to your EN inbox. It is far from being perfect... yet it is better than nothing.

• Level 5*

I think it's important to be clear here. You can add video and audio to your notes, what you can't do is incorporate a streaming video or audio in a note.

As well as potential copyright issues there are a number of technical challenges around providing streaming capability. Given that you can add a link to youtube or wherever in a note then I'm not sure why Evernote would want to take this one on.

I think it's important to be clear here. You can add video and audio to your notes, what you can't do is incorporate a streaming video or audio in a note.

As well as potential copyright issues there are a number of technical challenges around providing streaming capability. Given that you can add a link to youtube or wherever in a note then I'm not sure why Evernote would want to take this one on.

Yeah yeah.... evernote is perfect and does not need any improvements. Not really interested in hearing this story again... Too many times on these forum when searching for a solution to a particular problem I have seen similar attitidue particularily from poster having couple of thousand posts. My advice is so that you google "humility" and get acquinted with the term... or to say it more bluntly: please do not post if you have nothing of value to add to the matter at hand. I am not here to convince anyone that videostream integration would be useful thing to have in a note taking app if they don't feel like it.

Anyways. About the Videonot.es site and plugin that I mentioned above and which is actually on the subject... apparently it has inbuilt EN integration that would more or less do the job. It also has functionality to embedd screenshots to these notes and tie them to particular moments in the video which in a way is what I would actually want. When I say that I would like to have the ability to play videos directly in EN is actually about being able to see not  the link but an actual snapshot of the video. This allows better to stimulate my memory.... Videonot.es have this functionality when using chrome extension, but I am not able to trigger it for some reason. I need to play a biit more with it.

Yeah yeah.... evernote is perfect and does not need any improvements. Not really interested in hearing this story again... Too many times on these forum when searching for a solution to a particular problem I have seen similar attitidue particularily from poster having couple of thousand posts. My advice is so that you google "humility" and get acquinted with the term... or to say it more bluntly: please do not post if you have nothing of value to add to the matter at hand. I am not here to convince anyone that videostream integration would be useful thing to have in a note taking app if they don't feel like it.

Anyways. About the Videonot.es site and plugin that I mentioned above and which is actually on the subject... apparently it has inbuilt EN integration that would more or less do the job. It also has functionality to embedd screenshots to these notes and tie them to particular moments in the video which in a way is what I would actually want. When I say that I would like to have the ability to play videos directly in EN is actually about being able to see not the link but an actual snapshot of the video. This allows better to stimulate my memory.... Videonot.es have this functionality when using chrome extension, but I am not able to trigger it for some reason. I need to play a biit more with it.

Maybe you should read the words that are written instead of jumping to knee jerk assumptions. No one (I repeat, NO ONE) has ever said Evernote is perfect. The fact that you have an OPINION that differs from what Evenote has decided to implement (or not) for whatever reason, matters not. Others have offered up helpful alternatives. You can either use them or not. Your choice. But you would look a lot less foolish if you stayed with the facts, instead of trying to paint other users in a bad light. If you have enough computer savviness to implement a solution that works better for you & integrate it with Evernote, via their freely published API, then go you.

And the person I actually had in mind when writing previous post had joined this discussion without having anything of value to say on the subject at hand... hurray! FYI half of previous post was filled with some useful information that provide a workaround for evernote to partially support video note taking. Yet you have chosen (as always) to focus on bikering and petty talk. 

And the person I actually had in mind when writing previous post had joined this discussion without having anything of value to say on the subject at hand... hurray! FYI half of previous post was filled with some useful information that provide a workaround for evernote to partially support video note taking. Yet you have chosen (as always) to focus on bikering and petty talk.

What you think of me is the least of my concerns. You are the one who introduced "focus on bickering and petty talk". Your post would have been less troll like, had you omitted the half that contributed nothing of value.

Anyways. About the Videonot.es site and plugin that I mentioned above and which is actually on the subject... apparently it has inbuilt EN integration that would more or less do the job. It also has functionality to embedd screenshots to these notes and tie them to particular moments in the video which in a way is what I would actually want. When I say that I would like to have the ability to play videos directly in EN is actually about being able to see not  the link but an actual snapshot of the video. This allows better to stimulate my memory.... Videonot.es have this functionality when using chrome extension, but I am not able to trigger it for some reason. I need to play a biit more with it.

Kordi,
You are 'spot on'. Why not the ability to incorporate the snapshot of the video which would then link you directly to the Youtube or Vimeo source? Right now, if you save an article that has exactly such a snapshot & link in the article, you lose the snapshot altogether.  What a pain in the neck.
Please keep your research & the thread going. By the way you sound eminently reasonable to me. I discern no troll-like bickering or petty talk emanating from your posts. 
Joe P  
  • Level 5*

The original request was for a video showing someone cooking a meal,  with a recipe below it. 

Showing a still picture with a link is easy.  Depending on your OS,  do a screen shot of the video while playing,  and (I just found out from a quick refresher on YouTube) grab the URL of the video at that time-code to jump back to the same point.  Add picture and link to Evernote,  job done.

Showing the movie however...

Yes. The original request was to support video streams and video in general. Support means, that EN would have in built tools to tag, cut and edit portions of vids. EN business model and file size limitations would be an obvious constraint here, yet, this could be done integrating EN to external storage like dropbox or google disc, to solve this problem. This would be ideal and preferred scenario.  However, we have already established that EN does not have a solution like this. Now we can talk about alternatives and workarounds. Cutting frames, timestamping them and linking with a hyperlink, would be one way of going for it. However, this seems like awfully painful process to follow... although once in a while one could do it. Would be very nice though if web clipper would allow such a simple functionality. 

What I mean that it is painful is when you want to timestamp one video multiple times. This is where potenitally videonote.es could be used... if only I could make snapshot functionality work properly ... ehhh.

However, even EN has one major issue for me. It does not allow to cut small chunks of the video to note sized pieces. What I mean by this, is that sometimes you do not only need to tag starting fragment of the video but would also like it to have a defenite end.  

Archived