How do I get EN notes in sync across devices properly?

StvCdf

Idea

I've noticed (by looking at the note counts alongside each notebook) that what I see in EN on one device is not exactly the same as on other devices. For example, on my iMac there are 1143 notes in total, yet on the Web there are 1151 notes and on my MacBook there are 1153 notes. Clearly some are missing. Yet all devices are apparently in sync. I'm not using any local-only notes so the count should be the same across all devices & views.

I found, as an example, a note on my MacBook that simply isn't there on my iMac. The note isn't one I've deleted and it was created almost year ago. I just don't understand how the note count can be different across devices (well, not after syncing, anyway). How do I get Evernote to sync properly so I can trust it shows me everything anywhere (to paraphrase Evernote's tagline)? Anybody else had odd behaviour like this? Any tips?

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Sync has been an issue for about a year now, with a lot of reports in the last few months.  So it is very possible there is a bug causing the behavior you are seeing.

Having said that, you might try the following:

1. Until proved otherwise, you can use EN Web as the reference since it doesn't store anything locally, and connects directly with the EN Cloud Service
  2. Double-check that you don't have any Local Notebooks
  3. Empty the EN Trash on all devices, sync, sign out of EN, restart the device
  4. Check the EN Activity Log on each device to see if there are any Notes that are failing to sync

If you are unable to fix the problem after all that, then you might want to Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

Hi JMichael.

Thanks for the advice, especially about flagging to Evernote as a bug. I will keep for future reference, in case there's a reoccurrence. I'd already moved the database out of the default folder and then synced to re-download a fresh copy of the notes from the web servers and all seems to be OK for now. 

Archived