Sync failing on new installations.

I have installed Evernote on a laptop and on an ipad, but they do not sync with each other.  How does Evernote link two separate devices. Is it just by the email addresses when installing? If not, how?

There is nothing in the guidance to warn of necessary input when installing the second device.

• Level 5*

I have installed Evernote on a laptop and on an ipad, but they do not sync with each other.  How does Evernote link two separate devices. Is it just by the email addresses when installing? If not, how?

There is nothing in the guidance to warn of necessary input when installing the second device.

Sync in Evernote is currently less than bullet-proof, and the design allows users to easily get out of sync with conflicting notes.

As Metrodon said, double-check to ensure you are signed in with the same EN account on all devices.  You should see your EN User Name in the upper left corner on the home screen.

Also, you can login to the EN Web at Evernote.com to confirm that your Notes have sync'd to the EN Cloud Service.

Here are some sync tips that I've found useful.

1. Manually sync, and sync often.  Don't rely on the autosync.
  2. Always manually sync after:
    1. Entry/Edit of an important Note
    2. The end of each session
    3. The end of each day
    4. You're finished with one device, and want to switch to another device
    5. You first start using another device
  3. For important work, view the Notes on the other device to make sure all Notes are sync'd
  4. Backup important and hard-to-replace Notes. Go to File > Export to export as an ENEX archive file.
  5. Make sure you have an active, frequent Backup system always running (at least once a day, hourly if possible)
    1. I use Time Machine on the Mac for hourly backups of changes
    2. A lot of people use the online backups like Carbonite and CrashPlan

I know it may sound/look like a lot of work, but once you get into the habit of doing this stuff, it becomes automatic, second nature.

Archived