Is there ANY way to reorder bulleted or ordered list using Windows client without messing up the list?

mrcn4

Is there ANY way to reorder bulleted or ordered lists using Windows client without messing up the list?

Below I present a case when lists get broken just after a few edits without any external pasting or formatting.

Normally I use long and multi-level lists (3-4 levels are not unusual). However, in Evernote I stopped using lists at all, because bugs make them so unreliable. 

I've got two requests to you:

• Short term request: I am looking for any hacks/tricks that would allow me to reorder the list without breaking it.

Case study

(Evernote version 5.8.3.6507 on Windows)

Note:

1. A

2. B

3. C

4. D

5. E

Desired effect:

Move 'C' and 'D' between 'A' and 'B'

Test 1: Action 1

1. Select from 'between 3. and C' to 'after D'. (note: 3. is not selectable, selection would have to go from 'after B', the case is examined in second test)

2. Hit Ctrl+C

3. Place cursor before 'B'.

4. Hit Enter

5. Place cursor after '2.' 

6. Hit Ctrl+V

Test 1: Effect 1

1. A

2.  1. C

2. D

3. B

4. C

5. D

6. E

Test 1: Action 2

"Deindent the list"

1. Select from 'between second 1 and first C' to 'after first D'.

2. Hit Shift + Tab

Test 1: Effect 2

xwGo99W.png

Test 2: Action 1

1. Select from 'after B' to 'after D'. 

2. Hit Ctrl+C

3. Place cursor before 'B'.

4. Hit Enter

5. Go back to line 2 

6. Hit Ctrl+V

Test 2: Effect 2

1. A

2.  1.

C

2. D

3. B

4. C

5. D

6. E

I would highlight after the B to after the D and drag/drop to after the A.  Done.  

Thank you! Suprisingly for me, your solution works for the Windows client.

I was not suspecting that drag/drop behaviour will be different from copy/paste. It seems that drag/drop works resonably, only copy/paste is broken.

So I've got one working short-term solution, I expect some comment regarding not working copy/paste.

----------------------

A little off-topic, but I've tried to use the solution using different clients - without success.

• Drag/drop using web client - I've ended up with:

FCVrcsa.png

• There is no way to use drag/drop on an iPad. Copy/paste breaks the list.
  • Android client doesn't even allow selecting multiple items (or selecting a multi-level list).

I guess issues for other clients should go to appropriate forums not to make this another "thread about everything".

• Level 5*

I would highlight after the B to after the D and drag/drop to after the A.  Done.  

So I've got one working short-term solution, I expect some comment regarding not working copy/paste.

This is a user forum, so if you are looking for a comment from EN you might want to create a support ticket.  Glad it's working for you in Windows in any case.

This is a user forum, so if you are looking for a comment from EN you might want to create a support ticket.  Glad it's working for you in Windows in any case.

I've created a ticket, thank you.

Archived