Prevent Automatic Rotating

jde

When scanning multiple handwritten pages into either JPGs or a single PDF,

the app rotates, not all, but at least one or more pages.

While I can fix these manually, I don't understand if I'm causing the rotation

somehow, or if the rotation is a feature, um, "out of control."

Using Scannable 1.0.1

IOS 8.1.3 on an iPhone 5s

Thanks kindly for any advice!

• Level 5*

Hi.  Are you taking the pictures against a contrasting background and with a clear division between pages? Maybe your notebook needs a dark page marker in the margin?

If you could take some test images of a couple of lines of random writing and post a couple here of a 'right' way and a 'wrong' way picture,  it might help with the suggestions...

Scannable automatically rotates pages if it sees text in a language it recognizes. In some cases, handwriting is correctly recognised, but not always. There's no 'trick' to make it work better, and it's something we continue to improve. 

Are you pages 'portrait' or are they 'landscape'?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  Are you taking the pictures against a contrasting background and with a clear division between pages? Maybe your notebook needs a dark page marker in the margin?

If you could take some test images of a couple of lines of random writing and post a couple here of a 'right' way and a 'wrong' way picture,  it might help with the suggestions...

I will make sure that I'm following the contrasting background. I've realized I haven't always done that, so thank you for that reminder. If I get another rotation I'll try to post it.

Scannable automatically rotates pages if it sees text in a language it recognizes. In some cases, handwriting is correctly recognised, but not always. There's no 'trick' to make it work better, and it's something we continue to improve. 

Are you pages 'portrait' or are they 'landscape'?

My pages are 'portrait' and the text is handwriting. I'm afraid I don't understand "automatically rotates pages if it sees text in a language it recognizes." I don't know why it would rotate pages at all.

Thank you both for replying. Sorry my response was so delayed.

• 1 month later...

As an update to this unwanted rotation issue:

The rotation happens only with my handwritten documents.

I recently reported this to Evernote support. They were able to reproduce the upside down thing using a sample I provided them.

They told me that they believe the next update may reduce or eliminate the frequency of the problem. And that future

updates should eliminate it.

So patience, and manual "un-rotating" until then!

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Since the update to Scannable 1.1:  the auto rotating of my handwritten pages happens only 1 out of 20 times now, instead of almost every scan. So some improvement... :)

Cheers.

Archived