Interesting problem with Offline Notebooks

When I first started using Evernote a couple years ago on my Windows 7 machine, I don't remember designating any of my Notebooks as Offline. That's not to saying I didn't, I just don't remember doing so.

Now over the last year, my EN usage has been almost exclusively been done on my Android phone. Yesterday, for some odd reason, I opened Evernote in the Notebooks view, tapped the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of my screen, and picked "Show Offline Notebooks" from the menu that came up.

To my shock, several Notebooks - around a dozen - showed up as being Local Notebooks! I've only been Premium since December and again, don't recall assigning any Notebooks offline status. So...

1) I though mobile Premium users were allowed only one Offline Notebook, so how did I end up with several? And,

2) How do I move all but the one I actually want as Offline, back in with the rest of my Notebooks.

3) I did, of course, immediately Select and Sync all of the Offline Notebooks and will continue to do so until this is resolved, but would appreciate any insight into how this happened and how to fix it.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hiya.  There's an important distinction to make here - Local Notebooks are unsynced notebooks where the notes are strictly local to the device on which the account is hosted.  Offline Notebooks are where the contents a synced notebook are downloaded to a mobile device so they'll be searchable offline.  I didn't work our from your description exactly which we're talking about here.

It's possible you created local notebooks by mistake - Evernote used to have the local / synced notebook choice in the 'New Notebook' menu until recently - they've moved New Local Notebook onto a separate menu now,  presumably because folks were creating the 'wrong' kind of notebook too often.

I'm less sure how you'd get offline notebooks by accident - that might be worth a bug report!

Hmm, thanks Gaz. I'll contact support when I've more sleep.

Not sure what I did, but think I must have done whatever it was when I first started on my Window 7 PC...back before I knew how Sync worked and what the difference between offline vs. local notebooks. I've been avoiding my laptop Evernote since before the last version rolled out. After reading all the problems folks seem to be having with with it, I'm feeling a bit leery about updating, and since I have it set to auto-update, I'm worried about not being able to stop it in time. Though I guess I'm going to have to risk it when I contact Support! Ah, the trials and tribulations if 1st World Problems.

• Level 5*

No experience with Crashplan here - my Evernote backups are currenntly being handled by Revert.io.  Haven't had cause to try reinstating any of the backed up stuff,  but I get a reliable daily backup (of something) which is Kind've half the battle...  I also do regular system backups which will include Evernote anyway,  but there's such a lot in there that once I'm happy with any regular process I'll drop Evernote and my picture folders (even bigger than Evernote) to make that process faster...

• Level 5*

On another, unrelated note, do you have any experience with Crashplan? If so, would you mind taking a look at my new thread in the 3rd Party Forum section, called "Crashplan and Links?"

Come to that, I'd happily welcome input on my Crashplan thread from anyone who might have experience with that company, good or bad.

Although I have NOT used CrashPlan, I have heard/read nothing but good about it for years.

Where is your "Crashplan thread"?

Archived