why new UI is so dull and colorless?

Dhimant

Idea

Why new UI is so dull and colorless? To be frank, I used to respect evernote for whatever it is. However after coming across new UI, I'm not at all feeling proud of using evernote. It doesn't look like I'm working on MAC and using an good product. I totally hate new UI. 

I started searching for a new note tools and came across oneNote. Though, oneNote lacks killing features but it's much more attactive. As I now, I have both product However planning to move all my contents to oneNote. New UI is simply horrible. 

Just wanted to ask EN, do you have any plans for changing theme or look? I can't bear working on EN with this new UI. Look and feel wise, old UI was still okay but oneNote is awesome. 

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  we've said it a lot in this forum - while Evernote staffers do read all (they say) posts here,  they don't -usually- comment.  Evernote seems to have a policy of not sharing its future plans until they're launched on an unsuspecting user-base.  There has been criticism of the colour schemes,  but Evernote did comment that they're following Apple standards,  and may not have too many choices if changes are on their mind.  Only time will tell...

• Level 5

Why new UI is so dull and colorless? 

I use Evernote Windows and see the same problem.  There have been many complaints posted on this forum over the years. Yes, an Evernote employee once said that all the posts are read. I believe "title skimming" is a more appropriate description.

Here is a post with lots of illustrated examples by JMichael.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/57605-evernote-team-please-dont-use-low-contrast-text/

In my opinion, the underlying cause of this low contrast theme is due to the high concentration of young Evernote employees with eagle eye 20-20 vision. They don't have the empathy (yet) to understand what the visually challenged over-40 crowd has to deal with. In another decade or two they will realize what we have been complaining about. 

@jbenson2: if you want low contrast for elderly or physically challenged people you can keep an option to change the color/contrast. Making the entire product so dull and colorless do not make any sense.

@gazumped: From last year or so, I was very loyal to EN. Even I recommended EN to many people. I was feeling proud when I used EN. But I guess the time has changed. I cannot feel that anymore. I cannot show EN to anyone. Still, I didn't get why only EN suffers by following apple standard. Look at oneNote. They have beatiful color scheme. Does that mean oneNote does not follow apple standard? 

Look at all the posts here. All people are frustrated and switching to other tools or the older versions. I guess its time to change. 

• Level 5

@jbenson2: if you want low contrast for elderly or physically challenged people you can keep an option to change the color/contrast. Making the entire product so dull and colorless do not make any sense.

You misunderstood my post.  

I want a vibrant colored UI with high contrast.  

I've got to agree - I've been playing with OneNote on the Mac, and it just looks a bit nicer. I've been an EN user for a few years now, and I like it, but ON is certainly the better looking app on all the platforms I use.

Now, obviously functionality is key, and I'm giving ON a proper test drive to see how it stacks up.

• Level 5*

I've got to agree - I've been playing with OneNote on the Mac, and it just looks a bit nicer. I've been an EN user for a few years now, and I like it, but ON is certainly the better looking app on all the platforms I use.

Now, obviously functionality is key, and I'm giving ON a proper test drive to see how it stacks up.

I'd be interested to know what you think.  I've been giving ON a try recently,  but I have real difficulty getting my head around Notebooks,  Sections and Pages.  I can see that ON pages = EN notes;  but I can't decide what level of importance (in the data I'm acquiring) merits a new section,  or a new notebook - and don't get me started on tags...

I'd be interested to know what you think.  I've been giving ON a try recently,  but I have real difficulty getting my head around Notebooks,  Sections and Pages.  I can see that ON pages = EN notes;  but I can't decide what level of importance (in the data I'm acquiring) merits a new section,  or a new notebook - and don't get me started on tags...

It's a three tier hierarchy, the same as EN. Where EN has stacks -> notebooks -> notes, ON has notebooks -> sections -> pages.

Think of the notebook as a ringbinder with dividers - the pastel colours of the section tabs reinforce that idea, as that's a popular look for real world dividers. In that way it probably mirrors a real filing system more closely than the idea of stacks of notebooks. 

So far the way I see it is that ON is better for free format notes - note pages can have multiple boxes of text, images and (on tablets at least) freehand drawing and diagrams together and arranged any way you like. Notes really are closer to real world blank pieces of paper. That gives it an advantage as a way of capturing ideas.

EN has tags for an additional level of organisation, and I think the webclipping works better. it also has better integration with a variety of third party applications.

EN probably has the edge as a filing cabinet for information from various sources, ON has the edge for capturing your own ideas. That's my view, anyway.

There has been criticism of the colour schemes,  but Evernote did comment that they're following Apple standards,  and may not have too many choices

Please stop perpetuating this Evernote spin. It's been sufficiently shown in the threads dealing with this issue that Evernote 6 strays from the Yosemite standards as much as it follows them.

• Level 5*

It's true that Evernote said it,  and fair enough that you have a different opinion.  As an answer to the original question,  it's reasonable explanation why Evernote probably won't be announcing any changes anytime soon...

It's true that Evernote said it,  and fair enough that you have a different opinion.  As an answer to the original question,  it's reasonable explanation why Evernote probably won't be announcing any changes anytime soon...

My hair is made of cheese and thats why I smell funny. I said it ... does that make it true enough to pass on as an excuse for my bad smell?

I guess for you it's of no consequence to buy into Evernote's spin regarding the Mac version if you don't use it. For those of us who do, holding Evernote accountable for their explanations - especially the unreasonable ones - is necessary.

• Level 5*

I don't buy spin.  You're still entitled to your opinion,  and any related smell.  Feel free to hold EN acountable - I'll look forward to seeing them make changes in the UI.

Resurrecting an old thread here, I know, and perpetuating the offtopic aspect, but since I was asked about ON vs EN:

Having been trying ON for a while now, I'm finding it less useful and mainly because the sync is not fully thought through yet. I deleted a notebook via the web GUI and rather than reflect that on my phone I just got sync errors and had to fiddle around, log in again and open the current set of notebooks. It's just not seamless.

So while ON has the edge for looks, and I really like the draw feature (where available), EN currently has the edge for "just working" across multiple platforms. That's the killer feature for me. I may still use ON for sketching out ideas, diagrams and so on but for having notes available wherever I am EN is still the winner.

Archived