Keyboard Maestro Macro to Apply Standard Text Style

• Level 5*
Keyboard Maestro (KM) Macro:   EN Apply Std Format

Ver:  1.0       Last Update: Sat, Feb 14, 2015

Requires:    EN Mac 6.0.6 or later

Download Macro from:  

One of the missing features often asked for in Evernote is text formatting Styles, much like what is used in MS Word.  This KM Macro is an attempt at providing a very limited "Style" that can be quickly applied to a selection of text in an EN Mac Note.

It is NOT a true Style in that there is NO provision to update the Style, and then all text that use the style are automatically changed.

But if you, like me, have a need to often change the text format (like from a EN Web Clipping) to match the default font/size you have set for EN Mac, then maybe this KM Macro will help.  You will need to review, and change if desired, the font and size that are applied by the KM Macro.

This KM Macro applies the following style:

• Font:  Verdana
  • Text Size:  14 pt

This KM Macro makes use of the KM Action "Move and Click", selecting the position to click based on the image of the Notebook icon found in the upper, left corner of the EN Note Content panel.  If this NB icon is not there, has changed, or has been move, then this KM Macro will fail.

How To Use:

1. Select the text in the Note to be formatted
  2. Press the KM Hot Key (current set to CTRL+OPT+CMD+F)

I am very new to Keyboard Maestro (KM) and I welcome all feedback.  Please feel free to post (or PM me) any errors, problems, or suggestions that you might have.

Regards,

JMichael

• 8 months later...

Hi JMichael,

I'm new to KM as well. Are you having any problems with your KM macros losing the font name in Evernote? I'm running the latest version of Mac Evernote under El Capitan. All my KM macros work as expected except for their results being formatted with the Times font regardless of the source's font. Even the most simple upper or lower case macros "paste" their result in a Times font. As a test to see if something else was interfering with my clipboard, I tested the trial version of PopClip and all of its clipboard transforms return results with the correct (original) font.

Can you confirm that your KM macros don't lose their source content's font ... or are your KM macros forcing a specific font?

Thank you,

Malcolm[z

• Level 5*

Hi JMichael,

I'm new to KM as well. Are you having any problems with your KM macros losing the font name in Evernote? I'm running the latest version of Mac Evernote under El Capitan. All my KM macros work as expected except for their results being formatted with the Times font regardless of the source's font. Even the most simple upper or lower case macros "paste" their result in a Times font. As a test to see if something else was interfering with my clipboard, I tested the trial version of PopClip and all of its clipboard transforms return results with the correct (original) font.

Can you confirm that your KM macros don't lose their source content's font ... or are your KM macros forcing a specific font?

Thank you,

Malcolm[z

MalcolmG,

Sorry you're having trouble with Evernote and KM.

The above KM macro is still working fine for me, but I'm still on Yosemite (10.10.5).

Maybe it's an El Capitan issue for Evernote and/or KM.

You might try the same basic KM macro but using TextEdit.  This should help you identify if it is an Evernote issue.

FWIW, I have had issues before using the Clipboard with Evernote and KM.  Seems like an update to one or both fixed the issue.

If you haven't already, you might post this issue on the KM forum.  Peter and the others are always very helpful.

Good luck, and if you find a solution, please post it here.

Hi JMichael,

My KM macros are as simple as they get - copy to clipboard, clipboard transform (upper, lower, titlecase) and paste. That's it ... 3 steps. KM exhibits the same behavior with Word 2016 but does work as expected with TextEdit in rich text mode.

I have posted my experience to the KM forum without feedback. Peter Lewis has also replied to me personally (great support) assuring me that he does not have the same problem in Word 2016 (he does not use Evernote so he can't confirm there). Do you have any problems with KM and Word or do your KM macros work there as well?

I'm at a loss and wondering if there's some arcane setting on my computer that needs to be set in order for my font info not to be lost. I'm running the latest version of everything and other than Alfred, I don't have anything else running in the background. Disabling Alfred and restarting does not fix the problem either.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Malcolm 

• Level 5*
@MalcolmG:

I just created and ran this KM macro with selected text in EN Mac 6.1 on Yosemite 10.10.5

It worked fine.

CopyFilter Clipboard with UppercasePaste

As I mentioned above, the issue may be due to El Capitan.

Evernote is still working on updating EN Mac to run properly on El Capitan.

There are some major changes to do this in EN Mac 6.2 Beta 4.

I don't have any Macs running El Capitan, and don't plan to for months, maybe a year.

Your post just gave me an idea. I created a simple Copy and Paste filter ... those 2 steps only. In theory this macro should just copy and paste the selection without any changes. And it works as expected everywhere on my system ... TextEdit, Word 2016 and Evernote. The problem appears to be when I add the Clipboard filter step. This is where the font name attribute gets lost ... at least under El Capitan. I will share this finding on the KM forums as well.

• Level 5*

Since the simple KM macro that includes the filter works for me under Yosemite, but fails for you under El Capitan, I'd say it is most likely an El Capitan issue/change that needs to be addressed by Evernote and (maybe) KM.  If the simple KM macro works in all other apps, then that really points the finger at Evernote.

You might want to report this as an Evernote bug.

I recommend that everyone who experiences a bug to submit a bug report.  This will make sure that Evernote is aware of the issue, provide your environment data to help identify/fix the issue, and put more pressure on Evernote to fix.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue", "Payment/Billing Issue", and  "Log in issues".

The loss of font behavior happens in Word 2016 as well so I believe the problem is not an Evernote bug. Furthermore, other applications (like PopClip) that filter the clipboard work without problems in Evernote and Word 2016 under El Capitan. Note: I am not running PopClip and KM simultaneously ... I only tried the PopClip trial to see if similar utilities were having similar problems under El Capitan.

Archived