Can't Delete Tags Left from Shared Notebook

3v3rn0t3

I Can't Delete Tags Left from a Shared Notebook. In fact I didn't know that the notebook had been shared with me, and I have lost touch with the person who shared it. Then I found some notes that I didn't want and I couldn't delete them. I found that all these notes were in a shared notebook and I successfully deleted the notebook, which had the benefit of removing the notes. However I have some tags left over, and when I right click on them the delete function is greyed out and not available. When I log into my Web Evernote the tags aren't shown there. Synching doesn't remove them.

How can I delete them?

Ran into this same issue today on both Windows 7 (Evernote 5.8.3.6507) and Mac OS 10.10.2 (Evernote 6.0.6).

Person 1(Mac) makes notebook, includes note with tags, shares with Person 2 (Windows).

Person 2 accesses shared notebook, all tags are added to their lists. Tags cannot be nested or deleted. 

Even if P1 deletes the original notebook, deletes the tag and permanently erases the notes, P2 will still have the tag visible. In Windows, right click -> [Delete] is grayed out and unavailable.

Funnily enough the person sharing with me was Mac, I am Windows. I did search the Evernote site for solutions before posting, and came across the same problem on a Mac, and the solution seemed to be to edit the database directly - frankly I'm not up for editing Evernote's databases.

• Level 5*

I Can't Delete Tags Left from a Shared Notebook. In fact I didn't know that the notebook had been shared with me, and I have lost touch with the person who shared it. Then I found some notes that I didn't want and I couldn't delete them. I found that all these notes were in a shared notebook and I successfully deleted the notebook, which had the benefit of removing the notes. However I have some tags left over, and when I right click on them the delete function is greyed out and not available. When I log into my Web Evernote the tags aren't shown there. Synching doesn't remove them.

How can I delete them?

Try this:

* In the Windows client, hold down the Ctrl key and click on the Help menu

* You should see an option to "Delete Unused Linked Tags". Select it.

How can I delete them?

Try this:

* In the Windows client, hold down the Ctrl key and click on the Help menu

* You should see an option to "Delete Unused Linked Tags". Select it.

It said 15 tags deleted - I don't know what went, but the tags I want rid of are still there :(

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Those are persistent tags.  Random thoughts..

Have you

• checked in EN Web to see whether the tags are also visible there?
  • tried dragging and dropping the tags into the Trash notebook

Worst case:  a sure fire fix (probably...) is to File > Exit Evernote;  rename your current database folder to Databases.old and restart Evernote.

Caveats: 

• it'll take a while if you have lots of notes
  • you need to export and unsynced notes or local notebooks to ENEX files first and re-import them after
  • the whole process will kill any inter-note links you might have set up

This is the last post I am allowed for 7hrs so if there are any more questions, I am not ignoring or unappreciative, I just have to wait before I can post! However ......

I think I can say THANK YOU! now. You seem to have solved my problem, and I really appreciate your attention, and effort.

I had checked the EN Web, but I checked again, and they don't show there. I dragged the tags to the trash as you suggested - & abracadabra, they were gone! :D  So easy that I am suspicious but I am now a happy bunny - kudos & good karma to you. B)

• 2 months later...

Archived