will Note History have versions of my files from before becoming a Premium user?

I accidentally overwrote all of the data in one of my notes a few weeks ago, and the change got synced to servers (this happened from my iOS device, and I didn't know how to undo a change on it). So I lost all the data from that note.

But I just found out about the Note History feature that Premium users have. I'd like to use it to recover the data from my note. If I upgrade to Premium now, will the Note History have the old data from about a month ago, even though I was a free user at the time?

• Level 5*

Sorry to hear about that, but no, probably not.  I would be kinda like buying insurance AFTER the accident.   ;)

But you can use this as a learning opportunity.  Don't depend on anyone other than yourself to protect your data, and do backups.

Your best protection is to do your own backups -- do NOT rely on Evernote.

If you don't have a backup system in place, now would also be a great time to set one up.   I recommend using a local backup system like MS Windows Backup for EN Win, and Time Machine for EN Mac, for ease of restore, and on online system like CrashPlan for catastrophic protection.

If you want a backup that is independent of Evernote, then export your Notes to HTML.

Here is a comprehensive Mac Backup strategy provided by long-time Evernote user/ guru and Forum member GrumpyMonkey (AKA Christopher Mayo).

Windows users may also want to review EN KB Article Backing up and Restoring Evernote Data under Windows

CAUTION:  Use of export to ENEX files will backup your Note content, but, when you go to restore, it will have these limitations/issues:

1. All links to these Notes will be broken
  2. This is really an export/import process, NOT a true restore
  3. Notebook names and Stacks will be lost
  4. Tag hierarchies will be lost
  5. When you do the restore it will go against your monthly upload allowance because Evernote sees these as NEW Notes.

I accidentally overwrote all of the data in one of my notes a few weeks ago, and the change got synced to servers (this happened from my iOS device, and I didn't know how to undo a change on it). So I lost all the data from that note.

But I just found out about the Note History feature that Premium users have. I'd like to use it to recover the data from my note. If I upgrade to Premium now, will the Note History have the old data from about a month ago, even though I was a free user at the time?

Yes. If you upgrade to premium, you will have access to previous note history. Note history is only taken once about every eight hours. But if the good note had been on the EN servers at least that long before you sync'd the accidental change, there should be a good copy in the note history. And you will have access to that, after upgrading.

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

This is an old post. Does anyone know if this is still valid?

We've been told this is still valid - the backup behind Note History is running constantly several times a day, for all accounts

Archived