How to prevent thief from accessing Evernote on stolen laptop

Medussa

I have notes on the laptop that were synced to my tablet and my phone.  And unfortunately, it was set up so it didn't require a password to open.

Now I want to delete the account in such a way that if the thief (or new owner (grrr) clicks on it, it will not open.

I tried simply canceling the account from my tablet, but was still able to open it on my phone, so that was useless.

Any ideas? 

• Level 5*

This is NOT a failsafe approach, but if you DELETE all of the Notes in your account, and then empty the trash, when the thief opens Evernote on you laptop hopefully it will autosync and therefore delete all the Notes on your laptop.

Of course, to do this, your account will need to be active.

• Level 5*

..and you will have cleared out your account completely.

If you want to retain your notes,  and your account,  and just deny the new laptop person any access,  login to https://www.evernote.com/AuthorizedServices.action and look for the name of your laptop.  Revoke its access to your account,  and the current 'owner' won't be able to see or alter the online information.  This does not affect the copy of your database stored on the computer.

Sadly I don't know of any way to prevent access to the notes from your hard drive.

• Level 5*

..and you will have cleared out your account completely.

Revoke its access to your account,  and the current 'owner' won't be able to see or alter the online information.  This does not affect the copy of your database stored on the computer.

Sadly I don't know of any way to prevent access to the notes from your hard drive.

Huh??? What's your point?

What's the point of ONLY denying access online, when the precise question the OP had was how to prevent access on her LAPTOP???

The OP already stated that "Now I want to delete the account", so "..and you will have cleared out your account completely." is exactly what she asked for.

• Level 5*

This is NOT a failsafe approach, but if you DELETE all of the Notes in your account, and then empty the trash, when the thief opens Evernote on you laptop hopefully it will autosync and therefore delete all the Notes on your laptop.

Of course, to do this, your account will need to be active.

And the thief has to be online.
  • Level 5*

And the thief has to be online.

If you mean that the thief has to be connected to the Internet with the Laptop, then you are correct.

But the thief does NOT have to be accessing Evernote in a browser.

• Level 5*

Whatever, the notes need to be exported and copied to a new account and then deleted.  Stop the bleeding there.  If the thief connects to the internet and opens EN, the notes will be deleted.  If not, there isn't much you can do..  Can't do anything about local notes either way.  

In any case, the risk is proportionate to the thief's knowledge of EN,the content of the notes, and if the OP has a robust Windows sign on password (couldn't quite tell if doesn't require a password to open refers to EN or Windows).

• Level 5*

Or, drag the notes into a local notebook on your new machine. If the thief connects to the Internet, they'll all disappear from that computer.

In the future, I recommend encrypting your hard drive and using a strong password (long and random). This will prevent anyone but the most skilled an determined from viewing any of your data. Naturally, you'll also want to avoid getting your laptop stolen! But, besides obvious stuff like never leaving it unattended, there isn't much you can do in that regard. Of course, in situations like this, backups are nice, but that is a discussion for another thread :)

Archived