Can i pull out all notes that have been highlighted?

Sugeeth Krish

• Level 5*

I have 6000+ notes. Is there a simple search key to pull out only the notes which have been highlighted by me? Some search syntax, possibly? 

What do you mean by "highlighted by me"?  Do you mean selected?

If so then you can add a Tag to those selected.

• Evernote Expert

I have never found the concept of 'TAG' useful for me in Evernote. I always prefer the Notebook approach for organization, and in anycase, i can't go back and TAG all the highlighted Notes, because, I have 6000+ notes, and i myself am not aware, which are the ones, which are highlighted., So, it isn't solving the problem. 

• Level 5*

I have never found the concept of 'TAG' useful for me in Evernote. 

Well, many users do find Tags quite useful.  In fact, had you been using Tags properly, it would have solved your problem of finding the notes in question.  If the notes that you have highlighted some text within are important to you, then a simple Tag of "HL" (for highlighted) or "Important" or "Fav" (or whatever you'd prefer) would be essential in finding these Notes.

For more info, see The Benefit of Using Tags  

I have 6000+ notes. Is there a simple search key to pull out only the notes which have been highlighted by me? Some search syntax, possibly? 

• Level 5*

Probably useless and more work than it is worth, but if you export notes to HTML format the page source contains -evernote-highlight or the like.  I have no HTML skills so not clear if there is a simple way to leverage that information.  Worst case a evernote-highlight search if you've opened the file in a browser will give you an approximate count of notes with highlights.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

Probably useless and more work than it is worth, but if you export notes to HTML format the page source contains -evernote-highlight or the like.  I have no HTML skills so not clear if there is a simple way to leverage that information.  Worst case a evernote-highlight search if you've opened the file in a browser will give you an approximate count of notes with highlights.  FWIW.

Soure. You could leverage that if you were to export to HTML and search via an external tool and somehow tie it back to your note, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access this from inside Evernote, i.e., with the Evernote search language.

• Evernote Expert

I think it would make for a great third party app, because, the highlights in a sense sum the important aspects of a note. Maybe, a third party could try ( if it is possible) and extract them out ( so that it takes lesser space than the whole EN database), and be a great use case for students, researchers, etc.. 

• Level 5*

Not sure I've ever seen a list of note attributes that are searchable.  Even the resource and source type aren't fully documented by EN, as far as I can tell.  I've picked up a few types here on the forum, not being a MIME type expert.  

I guess one could request an attribute be added for notes containing highlighting, tables, table of contents, links, etc.  It would seem appropriate to have an easy way to search for notes that contain some special function of EN that gets used. 

Archived