URL Entered into Note Info Does Not Display in New Evernote Web Beta

Elkerton

Idea

In the previous version of Evernote for Windows, a URL entered in Note Info would display as an active link next to the title. In the new Evernote Web Beta, the URL does not display. As I record a lot of links as notes, how do I get the URL to display again?

18 replies to this idea

Did a search and found that this issue was addressed in a post in December.  See Accessing URLs from clipped web pages

According to the Evernote employee who responded ("nanphan"), they agree this is an issue and will be fixing it "soon."  See excerpt below:

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:18 PM

fratony, on 22 Dec 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:snapback.png

Can't believe this has gone - the single most important feature for me.

In fact, I thought that's what Evernote was for - clip sites, pages, articles etc and then easily be able to get back to them.

I've been a premium member for many, many years this kind of things suggests I need to find an alternative. Any suggestions? 

Hi fratony,

I just wanted to follow up with you and emphasize that this scenario is important to us and we will address the ease of access to the original URL in a future release. For now, the workaround is to click on the "i" and go to the Information Panel and copy the URL. We understand this is unideal and will be fixing this soon. Since this is still a Beta, we don't have all of the features available yet. If you'd like, you can roll back to the non-beta version of the webclient by following these instructions: 

https://discussion.e...e-new-web-beta/

Nancy 

I concur completely about this. i cannot imagine what UX analysis of the older version ever suggested making live linking HARDER TO USE on Evernote! Definitely a case of making things cleaner robs the user of convenience. Bad choice on someone's part. Hope it is really in the queue to be fixed!

Thank you for the update, Nancy, and I must say the tone of your answer gives me some worry. Rather than saying the "new location isn't as convenient", it would be more appropriate to say "the previous functionality is nonexistent". Given that a huge proportion of Evernote use is for website bookmarks, removing top-level, one-click access to bookmarked sites is a fundamental loss to the UI. Drilling down into a menu, finding a field, highlighting and copying the content of that field, pasting the content into a browser address bar - this is a tedious workaround for previous and appreciated Evernote functionality. From a business perspective, I understand Evernote's desire to drive users deeper into Notes and not away to external sites, I just don't think this is the best way to do it.

Yes, but in Evernote Web Beta the URL no longer displays in the header: This means I will have to go through all my previous notes and add the URL to the body of the note if I want to click to a site without multiple steps, copy and paste. Thank you both for your responses - very helpful.

Thank you for the feedback, Elkerton, and we're sorry that the new location isn't as convenient. We are reevaluating this and will take this feedback into consideration. 

Nancy 

• Level 5*

I'll grant you it's not a clickable link,  but this is how my view looks - '

'
post-63053-0-88402300-1423756180_thumb.j

-and it is possible to copy and paste that URL.  If I click the snippet and go to the full note,  the URL is clickable and in the note body.

? That pic shows the URL in the body of the note - isn't it displayed that way in Web Beta?

You are missing Elkerton's point.  He's referring to what happens when one saves something from the web to evernote using the web clipper.  When part or all of something from the web is saved in this manner, Evernote saves the URL of the source web page along with other information about the note (like when it was created). This is part of the metadata for the note.  There's no need to separately paste the URL into a note, and the URL doesn't appear in the body of the note (unless it happened to be on the web page that is being clipped).

In the desktop client (Windows), this source URL appears as a link in just about every view of the note, and can be clicked on to return you to the source web page.

In the new version of the web client, the URL is avaiable in the "Note info" (reached by clicking on "i" surrounded by circle).  This can be edited or copied and pasted, but isn't a live "link."  Agree that this isn't as convenient as having link readily available when viewing note, though it does further evernote's objective of having a "cleaner" interface; so there's a tradeoff.

Yes, but in Evernote Web Beta the URL no longer displays in the header: This means I will have to go through all my previous notes and add the URL to the body of the note if I want to click to a site without multiple steps, copy and paste. Thank you both for your responses - very helpful.

Thank you and you are correct - clicking on the Info icon opens a window where you can copy a URL then paste it into the browser address bar. However, in the previous version of Evernote, the URL would display as a live link next to the Note title and you could open the page with one click. I need that same functionality as I use Notes to bookmark links.

Archived