I'm really stuck here.

I'm a "free" user of Evernote and so is my work colleague.  We have been successfully sharing notebooks for viewing and editing without any hassles.  However, we ran into problems when we wanted to share a notebook with one of our students.

After I elect to share a notebook with a student, they receive a chat message saying that I've shared a notebook, however, the shared notebook doesn't appear in the student's collection of notebooks.  This is regardless is we use a Mac, Windows or Web client to login.

So then, I asked another colleague who had a premium account to share a workbook with the same student.  Unfortunately, the same results.

I'm at my wits end trying to workout what's going wrong.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

Thanking you in advance.

• Level 5

Justin,

This is what I get.  But I get no reference to adding the notebook.

******* shared a notebook with you

****** is using chat to share work with you. Click below to read and reply to this chat.

Yes, this is the email you get the first time you receive a message from someone.

If you click the button you'll have the option to see the message in the web client or desktop client.

Click the notebook in the chat and it should be added to your account.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

November 2015 and I'm still confounded by note and notebook sharing.

I use EN Premium, so I should have all the capabilities possible, right? Here is my sharing experience as of today: 

Example #1: I shared a BUSINESS NOTEBOOK with a NON-Evernote email address that I own, just to test its behavior. I received the email at my other account and opened it. It has a green button that says "CLICK TO ACCEPT INVITATION" and it takes me to a page where my only option is to create an Evernote account. I can't view the notebook or even see the title of the notebook.

Example #2: I tried sharing a SINGLE BUSINESS NOTE with that same email address (remember that I don't have an Evernote account associated with this email address). The subject line is "You have a chat waiting in Evernote!" which sounds like a total click bait spam (which is probably why my email keeps sending Evernote emails to the spam folder). But anyway... so the email subject is "You have a chat waiting in Evernote" and when I open it, the text is "People want to chat with you!" Click the green button to join in!"

SERIOUSLY? Is that the best language we can come up with for a business tool? "People want to chat with you?" Are we online dating now? 

First of all, I do NOT want to chat with the person I'm sharing a note with. I just want them to see and maybe even edit the note. Why is Evernote so hell-bent on thrusting the concept of CHAT down our throats and misleading those who receive emails? If I got an email that said "People want to chat with you" I would think it was a phishing attempt and delete it.

Secondly, when I click on the big green button in the email, AGAIN I am taken to a window where I'm forced to create an Evernote account. 

So essentially it appears Evernote has made it impossible to share information outside of its platform. Am I correct? If so, sharing is now nearly useless because I can't very well expect my clients and colleagues to create an Evernote account for MY convenience. I would rather just email them whatever I want to share or put it on another sharing platform like Google Drive. Again, I am open to being told I'm wrong and I really HOPE I am wrong. 

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
On 2/11/2015 at 11:36 PM, Adjusting said:

If you click the button you'll have the option to see the message in the web client or desktop client.

Click the notebook in the chat and it should be added to your account.

As of April 2020, you DO NOT have the option to see the message in the web or desktop client.

Repeat, you literally get NO additional information by clicking on the link. You just get this mysterious, slightly ominous, & wildly un-helpful message.

On 11/5/2015 at 9:24 AM, War Eagle said:

November 2015 and I'm still confounded by note and notebook sharing.

So essentially it appears Evernote has made it impossible to share information outside of its platform. Am I correct? If so, sharing is now nearly useless because I can't very well expect my clients and colleagues to create an Evernote account for MY convenience. I would rather just email them whatever I want to share or put it on another sharing platform like Google Drive. Again, I am open to being told I'm wrong and I really HOPE I am wrong. 

This issue is still unresolved 5 years later.