Evernote is crashing at start up

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

1. I'm new to this forum.

2. I haven't used Evernote for a few weeks. Maybe 2-3 months.

3. I get this when I open it:

"The last time you opened Evernote, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?"

I click "reopen" I get "Problem report for Evernote"

I send it, I get "Evernote quit unexpectedly"

Click "reopen" I go back to "The last time you opened Evernote, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?"

And I then go round and round in circles.

Have restarted my Mac. Doesn't help.

I rather think that others may have come across this problem. Can anybody advise me, please?

Thanks.

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  If you haven't used Evernote for a while,  you've skipped several updates so it may be worth uninstalling and re-downloading Evernote to get it current.  Be patient because that may also involve upgrading the database which can take some time if you have a lot of notes.  Once that's done,  if you're still having problems,  please let us know which version of Mac OS you're now running...

• 1 month later...

Gaz is right--we've done a bunch of work on crash at start up. Would suggest getting on the latest version first, and let us know if you continue to see the issue. 

I'm having the same issue, which is not good as I've come to rely on this app.

I've used Evernote for two years, accepting upgrades pretty much the same day they come out. I have not had any kind of issues like this previously.

Thanks for the advise. Doesn't work. The helper icon appears in the menu bar although it's not checked in the preferences?!?
Can't close it, even when evernote is not running. The second the cursor moves over the helper icon the coloured wheel appears.

I'm on OSX 10.9.5. as well

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  OK basic principles:

1. Export any unsynced notes and/ or local notebooks to ENEX files (toggle tags to be included)
  2. File > Exit Evernote
  3. Backup current database 
  4. uninstall Evernote / restart / reinstall Evernote from direct (Evernote.com) download
  5. check for activity...  if not working - 
  6. uninstall Evernote / remove all database information
  7. restart
  8. reinstall Evernote from direct download,  rebuild database from server
  9. reimport ENEX notes

OR

1. raise a support ticket by choosing "login/account access issue" in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Edit: - and if confused by any of the above,  please ask....

• 1 month later...

Hmmn.  OK basic principles:

1. Export any unsynced notes and/ or local notebooks to ENEX files (toggle tags to be included)
  2. File > Exit Evernote
  3. ... and so on

OR

1. raise a support ticket by choosing "login/account access issue" in the first dropdown after logging in here> https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

Edit: - and if confused by any of the above,  please ask....

I'm pretty sure everyone here crashes when it starts, so that first part isn't possible.

Crashing for me as well, and I used it just yesterday. Every time it is Launch > crash message to send to Evernote > Send >  quits > Apple crash reporter appears > OK.

My content is on the web site okay, but what  concerns me I don't see a way to extract it, should it become corrupt.

I'm having the same issue as TLMurray.

My Mac OS is 10.10.3, and I've used evernote everyday so it's been latest version.

Suddenly it didn't launch anymore(SIGSEGV), and un-installing and re-downloading didn't solve the problem.

• Level 5*

I'm having the same issue as TLMurray.

My Mac OS is 10.10.3, and I've used evernote everyday so it's been latest version.

Suddenly it didn't launch anymore(SIGSEGV), and un-installing and re-downloading didn't solve the problem.

Hi.  It's possible that a recent note has caused the issue.  Check by logging in here in a desktop browser - https://www.evernote.com/Login.action

Do you have any recent large or oddly-titled notes?  I'd clean the Trash notebook out and deal with any conflicting change notifications if you have them too..

Do you recall what Evernote version you were about to update to when this happened?

• 3 weeks later...

This is a useful conversion - to know I'm not alone.

What my Mac tells me: OS X Yosemite / 10.10.3

What I've observed: changing connections (wired AND wifi) as well as shutting/restarting my computer cause something to happen to the app, and it tells me it can't open, it's corrupted, or to go download and install again.

• 7 months later...

I have similar problem. I cannot launch the Evernote.

1. When I try to launch it, it shows 'Problem Report for Evernote'. After I send or cancel it,

2. It quits unexpectedly. It shows error message like below.

So I deleted Evernote, and downloaded current version from evernote webpage for several times. But it's still the same... 

===

Process:               Evernote [1159]
Path:                  /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/Evernote
Identifier:            com.evernote.Evernote
Version:               6.4 (452969)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Evernote [1159]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2016-01-24 23:18:16.038 +0900
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.10.5 (14F1509)
Report Version:        11
Anonymous UUID:        01142784-A3CC-1746-0A23-D498BB50B62E

Sleep/Wake UUID:       E7C8D91D-EAD6-4CAE-83F2-38148EB618F0

Time Awake Since Boot: 17000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       6300 seconds

Crashed Thread:        0  main  Dispatch queue: NSPersistentStoreCoordinator 0x600000a65940

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

• Level 5*

I was hoping someone would respond with a solution.

My first attempt to resolve this would be to reboot my machine.
Second, reinstall Evernote (which I see you've done)

• Level 5*
On 1/24/2016 at 8:23 AM, yoon sup choi said:

I have similar problem. I cannot launch the Evernote.

1. When I try to launch it, it shows 'Problem Report for Evernote'. After I send or cancel it,

2. It quits unexpectedly. It shows error message like below.

So I deleted Evernote, and downloaded current version from evernote webpage for several times. But it's still the same... 

For everyone having this type of serious startup issue, you may need to do a clean reinstall:
See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
On 13/10/2017 at 12:48 AM, leekosa said:

Evernote now unexpectedly quits immediately upon startup every time.

Hi.  The latest beta release says it has resolved crashing issues,  and may be worth a look;  beware that this is a beta and other problems may arise - have a look at the release thread for the latest situation...

• 1 year later...

For anyone in the situation where a crash on startup due to a corrupted database prevents the export of local-only notebooks, I created a program that can help recover those that you're free to use (with zero warranty). I created it to recover several invaluable and irreplaceable notes I had.

I posted on it here: