EN 5.8.3: Can't update, can't uninstall, can't reinstall: Win 8.1

Yesterday I had the alert that a new version was available so, as usual, I clicked on the "download" link and then on the install link. It hung with 21 seconds to go and after half an hour I crashed the process. Then I went to the EN page and downloaded the latest version and attempted to run the install package. It hung at 14 seconds to go.

So now I have rebooted, and attempted to uninstall Evernote (in Programs and Features it says it's version 5.8.3) and now the uninstallation is stuck with 1 second to go.

Please help me get Evernote running again on my system?

• Level 5*

Hi.  So will Evernote start at all?  If not I'd suggest using a system cleaner like Glary Utilities - http://www.glarysoft.com/ - download,  install (carefully - read all the screens before you click) and then use the One Click Cleaner to remove all the unused application files on your hard drive.  Hopefully that will include any Evernote installation files,  and you'll be able to start over with a standard install.

Hi.  So will Evernote start at all?  If not I'd suggest using a system cleaner like Glary Utilities - http://www.glarysoft.com/ - download,  install (carefully - read all the screens before you click) and then use the One Click Cleaner to remove all the unused application files on your hard drive.  Hopefully that will include any Evernote installation files,  and you'll be able to start over with a standard install.

Thanks for replying. No, I can't start Evernote because it won't install. When I tried the update it removed the old version but did not correctly install the new version.

There are two error messages that came up when the uninstall eventually gave up: OGbtV5y.png and 2PPtkmk.png

• Level 5*

@Joweirqt:  Sounds like you may have some issues that are caused by the environment/configuration of your system (HW and/or SW).  Since a clean install did not work, you are probably best served by submitting a BUG report, or even better, use EN Support Chat if you are a Premium account owner.  If you do not have Premium account, you may find it worthwhile to become one for a month ($5) to get the support you need.

See Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

See Evernote Chat Support., available business days 7am-7pm US CST. 

(Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

• Level 5*

AFAIK, that's the support schedule offered by most tech product companies, especially for a free product.

If you're up for another reinstall cycle, you might try  Revo Uninstaller Pro.

It has been recommended by Evernote Tech Support for certain cases where you need to ensure that all traces of the program are removed from your system.  There is a full-function trial available for free.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Revo Unistaller was exactly what I needed to fix the issue, there were sub files that I couldn't find on my own and doing an "Advanced" scan with revo and deleting all of them I was able to install the newest version of Evernote.

• 9 months later...

I had all the problems described above.  Tried the Revo forced uninstaller in advanced mode, got the same familiar error msg that the .msi file cannot be found. Evernote was working just fine before I agreed to the version update.  I am a longtime pro user and have allowed myself to depend WAY too much on this unreliable program, which now will not function at all. Suggestions, please??!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, McS43 said:

I had all the problems described above.  Tried the Revo forced uninstaller in advanced mode, got the same familiar error msg that the .msi file cannot be found

That is very surprising that Revo failed to removed everything Evernote related.  I've never seen that reported before.

Be that the case, then it appears you have a very unique situation that will require Evernote support to resolve.  If you are a Premium or Business user, then you can get direct support from Evernote.  If you are a Free (Basic) account user, it may be worth the price of a one-month upgrade to get full support.  You could then ask for a refund if it turns out to be an Evernote bug.

Evernote Support:

1. Support Ticket (Free accounts limited to bugs/account issues)
  2. Support Chat (Premium only, appears after "Continue" on Support page, business days 7am-7pm US CST)
  3. Twitter @evernotehelps (all users)
On 2/19/2016 at 1:31 PM, McS43 said:

I had all the problems described above.  Tried the Revo forced uninstaller in advanced mode, got the same familiar error msg that the .msi file cannot be found. Evernote was working just fine before I agreed to the version update.  I am a longtime pro user and have allowed myself to depend WAY too much on this unreliable program, which now will not function at all. Suggestions, please??!

I was thinking about your problem this morning as I wasn't sure how to help you.

My suggestion is this;

1. Uninstall Evernote Using the Revo Uninstaller Once Again.
  2. Before Trying to Reinstall Evernote, Run a "Disc Cleanup". You can find this by going to Start Menu > Accessories > System Tools. Basically this should make sure to delete all of your Temporary Files so that the old install files are completely flushed. (Or so I think)
  3. Also do a search in your windows explorer for Evernote, and delete anything you find that is related to the previous install. 
  4. Once you've ran the disc cleanup and checked for any files you may have missed, make sure to completely shut down and restart your computer.
  5. Lastly, download the most recent version of Evernote from the site, and when you run the install for the new Evernote, make sure to customize where the new installation is being put. Make sure your install is in your "Program Files" folder.
  6. If that doesn't fix the issue, then I would do as the previous member stated:

On 2/19/2016 at 5:02 PM, JMichaelTX said:

That is very surprising that Revo failed to removed everything Evernote related.  I've never seen that reported before.

Be that the case, then it appears you have a very unique situation that will require Evernote support to resolve.  If you are a Premium or Business user, then you can get direct support from Evernote.  If you are a Free (Basic) account user, it may be worth the price of a one-month upgrade to get full support.  You could then ask for a refund if it turns out to be an Evernote bug.

Evernote Support:

1. Support Ticket (Free accounts limited to bugs/account issues)
    2. Support Chat (Premium only, appears after "Continue" on Support page, business days 7am-7pm US CST)
    3. Twitter @evernotehelps (all users)

In the meantime if you need to get to your notes, use the web application as that should still work and have synced all of your notes.

Hope that helps. Best of Luck to you!

• Level 5*
On February 19, 2016 at 10:31 AM, McS43 said:

I am a longtime pro user and have allowed myself to depend WAY too much on this unreliable program, which now will not function at all. Suggestions, please??!

I agree with @bloodcrow777, for backup access to your notes - go to the web platform
At least you don't have to be without your notes during this mess.

I too am very dependent on my notes stored in Evernote.  

One of the reasons I chose this service is because of its multi platform support.  
Devices fail; software gets corrupted or bugs surface. 
When I get a failure on my Mac, I turn to my backups; my IPad; the web platform.

You've received some excellent advise, but you also have to plan for these situations.  

Thanks for both suggestions.  On the third try with Revo, followed by various disk housekeeping chores, reboots, etc., it finally removed it and I could reinstall.  I'm up and running again.

This is the second time in two or three years that a version update has completely disabled the program on my desktop.  It makes me reluctant to try any future updates, as well as to entrust so much of my info organizing to Evernote.

BTW, its applicability across platforms is THE reason I rely on Evernote so much.  I run it on my Windows desktop (which is where it failed) as well as on iPads and iPhones.  I love the app, but am going to look into alternatives a little more than I have.  Twice burned...

Oh, and yes I have been a Premium user for a couple years now.

Thx again.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, McS43 said:

On the third try with Revo, followed by various disk housekeeping chores, reboots, etc., it finally removed it and I could reinstall.  I'm up and running again.

3rd time's the charm!  ;)

1 hour ago, McS43 said:

I run it on my Windows desktop (which is where it failed) as well as on iPads and iPhones.  I love the app, but am going to look into alternatives a little more than I have

Although EN Mac has had some issues, it seems to me that it has far less issues than EN Win.  For a while, EN Win seemed to be the first to get new features and fixes, but for the last year or so EN Mac has been first.  Maybe the next time you're ready for a new PC, you may want to consider a Mac (which can also run Windows OS and apps).  Not trying to start a Windows vs Mac debate here, just throwing out options for the future.

IAC, I've very glad Revo finally worked for you, and you are back up and running.

Archived