[REQUEST] Tag Nesting / Hierarchy for the iOS Evernote !

mustela7

Idea

... tomorrow afternoon?

Why does this take so long?

Why does it seem to be of apparently such a low priority?

Is ist too difficult to implement, is there too little development capacity, or is there really too little public interest in this features?

Strangely, every new iOS version (and to a certain degree also OSX version) brings other "cloudy" surprises: first a grey on grey tag cloud, and now, even "cloudier", different colors for weighing my tags, i guess to tell me how often I use each one of them. Seems as if my iPhone wants to tell me: "Don't read, just look at those nice colors - you do not remember your tags anyway". Second thought: this must be a contest! "Look, this tag is veeery dark green. You really made it to write this tag 12 times with the same letters on each of your notes. Congrats, pal". Tag, tag, tag, where do you go from here.

Back on earth, what really bothers me now (apart from the meaning of life):

Can one honestly keep a clear view after years in evernote, without a good sorted tag structure?

- I'd like not only to search and find a note, I want to review my notes.

- When my contexts are changing, my brain is changing. Fragments are changing place. Tags have to change. I must have an overview of my tags. Without hierarchy, my tags are in a black hole.

- I do sort my notes hierarchically in windows, in the web, and with some more troubles even on the mac. Why not on the iPad.

What I'd like to see is well organized content.

What I see is stylish design with nice clouds, attracting people to throw notes at and forget about 100% everything.

I heard there is a evernote version called "for business"...?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, DTLow said:

What makes you think this?  
Tag hierarchy is a minor feature and IOS is a minor platform for Evernote.

Evernote is very much alive for me (Mac and IOS)

Agree, but I wouldn't call it a minor feature.

Proper organisation of notes is key !
The tags and hierarchy of tags was there I assume to stay.

Guest LongTimeUser

DTlow for a guy who “doesn’t work for Evernote” you sure come across as someone who does.  You are all over the forums defending Evernote and disparaging any criticisms.  Tags are definitely useful.  I agree Evernote is not useless without tags but many people use them in their organization systems.  A week or so ago you called IOS a minor platform, really?  The better development shops build up from the mobile apps rather than down because having grossly different experiences just does not make sense in 2018. At least these people have taken the time to leave comments rather than abandoning Evernote.

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Adding my vote to add this feature for iOS, please!

Did you actually add your vote?
Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jffe said:

I would also appreciate having a tag button on the black action strip at the bottom of the iOS version alongside notebooks, search etc instead of having to access tags indirectly.

Maybe post this as a separate request.  You have my vote.

• Level 5*
On 5/1/2019 at 1:14 AM, MDatEvernote said:

Agreed - TSW uses the hierarchy and has convinced me to use Evernote as a replacement TODO list app, however, this could be a deal killer

I'm aware of the TSW process for task management.  Not clear why it requires hierarchy

Any progress on the nested tags for iOS. It has been in beta for about 6 months. The Evernote app is basically useless to me on IOS until they are able to get nested tags. I was hoping to get  the beta version. I have applied about 4-5 times to be an iOS beta tester. I don’t mind taking the risk since I can’t use the app on iOS anyway.

• Sad 1

Tested and it’s beautiful!

Thanks to the hints appearing when running the new evernote for ios you’ll learn that you need to swipe an existing tag to the left in order to make the menu button appear where you can, among other things, move your tag in the hierarchy. 

I find it a step too much but it makes room for the arrow indicating you can expand/collapse the nested tags. 

Well done! I just wonder what king a visual would have been a better indication to remind you that you can swipe to the left while you currently have none. You must know and remember that.

I am so glad I can browse and manage my tag hierarchy on my ios devices ! Thanks!

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, FX Cormontagne said:

I just wonder what king a visual would have been a better indication to remind you that you can swipe to the left while you currently have none.

There is a ... indicator    
We only see it if we're in Tag Edit mode

37 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It's not a beta version
I would have thought the release would have completely rolled out by now      
Is your device and OS up to date?

Well, apparently not 🤔, but ...

I have IOS 14.0 (iPad Pro)
Evernote 8.24.6.370571

I looked at the app-store, where I can 'open' Evernote (not update when shown in the list of applications)
Then I can click on "Evernote" to see more details, example screens, etc.
It was only at this moment that I got the option 'update'

So update is hidden in the app-store.
some screenshots that show this process to get to the update

>>>>> I had v8.24

IMG_1753.thumb.png.2d829ec1aa11d916aaa27ef6122419cf.png

>>>>> in the App Store, I searched for Evernote; only 'open' is shown.

IMG_1754.thumb.png.2e958db61053620dcb5a38d34beabd10.png

>>>>> click on Evernote shows more details, and the option to upgrade ("werk bij" in dutch)

IMG_1755.thumb.png.163020ab49e4923131c148050d464840.png

>>>>> Update done

IMG_1756.thumb.png.25fc3a181bd9d60b1765b14d1551a833.png

>>>>> got V10

IMG_1758.thumb.png.ca556f86f7760db6df2c28bb163ba3a8.png

>>>>>

IMG_1757.thumb.png.8e346b04feb1aa799e0c628a3725c276.png

Edited by vandevyver
order screenshots
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, vandevyver said:

Well, apparently not 🤔, but ...

I have IOS 14.0 (iPad Pro)
Evernote 8.24.6.370571

You may want to peruse the IOS 10 forum before you make that move.  Quite a few not so nice issues are being reported depending upon your use case.  If you still want to proceed I would try deleting the app from your phone and then goring to the app store to add it back.  Might get the new version to appear.

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/717-evernote-for-ios-issues-versions-100-and-above/https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/717-evernote-for-ios-issues-versions-100-and-above/

2 minutes ago, CalS said:

You may want to peruse the IOS 10 forum before you make that move.  Quite a few not so nice issues are being reported depending upon your use case.  If you still want to proceed I would try deleting the app from your phone and then goring to the app store to add it back.  Might get the new version to appear.

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/717-evernote-for-ios-issues-versions-100-and-above/https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/717-evernote-for-ios-issues-versions-100-and-above/

Thanks,

as mentioned I found the workaround in the app-store : click to see the app-details, then you can update ...

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, vandevyver said:

Thanks,

as mentioned I found the workaround in the app-store : click to see the app-details, then you can update ...

You are welcome.  Sorry, TLDR.  ;)

• Level 5

This thread predates v10.

It is one of the big advantages that nesting tags is now supported on mobile.

What is equally important: When searching / filtering for tags, you can decide if tags on a lower level (sub tags) should be included or excluded from the search.