(Archived) Evernote filling up my system.log

filmproducer

Idea

It's happened a dozen times now -- my hard drive fills up in minutes. Poof. 40-60-100 GB gone. After hours of exasperated searching, now I know enough to look at my system.log file. I delete it. The culprit? Evernote.

Over and over again ~~ this message:

Jan 5 13:08:17 user-accounts-macbook-pro /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/Evernote[156]: open on /Users/user/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data/40145/content/p4881/thumbnail.png: File exists

Am I doing something incorrectly? Any suggestion on how to use Evernote and not suffer weekly fill-ups?

3 replies to this idea

There may be some sort of problem in your local database folders. You could try:

If you have some important unsynced notes, be sure to read the directions at the end of this email to safeguard your information. Otherwise please try the following:

Please try moving your Evernote database directory so that Evernote will regenerate a new local database by copying your notes back down from the service. To do this:

Quit Evernote.

In the finder, open the "Library" folder in your home directory. (This is in the directory with your name, NOT at the top level of your hard drive.)

Navigate to "Application Support"

Move the "Evernote" directory from that location to a different place (like the desktop)

Start Evernote, provide your username and password again if needed

This will synchronize all of your notes from the service and create a new local database.

*If you do have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.

It's happened a dozen times now -- my hard drive fills up in minutes. Poof. 40-60-100 GB gone. After hours of exasperated searching, now I know enough to look at my system.log file. I delete it. The culprit? Evernote.

Over and over again ~~ this message:

Jan 5 13:08:17 user-accounts-macbook-pro /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/Evernote[156]: open on /Users/user/Library/Application Support/Evernote/data/40145/content/p4881/thumbnail.png: File exists

Am I doing something incorrectly? Any suggestion on how to use Evernote and not suffer weekly fill-ups?

What version of Evernote for Mac are you using?

*If you do have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.

same (or similar) problem, here [Version 1.9.0 (83438)], and i was just about to follow these instructions when something vital occurred to me:

you've provided steps for handling unsynced notes -- meaning (i presume) "notes that have not yet been synced," as opposed to notes that reside in local notebooks (which, by design, do not sync). unless i've misunderstood you, this is a critical distinction that anyone who visits this thread should note. (no pun intended.) :-)

i have thousands of notes in three local notebooks -- notes that i never need to access away from this machine. in list view, those notes do not display asterisks (*) in the the sync column, and i would not have been able to restore them by resyncing. (i do have my entire drive backed up via time machine; still, it would have been alarming to resync evernote, only to see those notebooks missing. then i'd have had to restore the entire evernote library via time machine.)

so, before moving the evernote folder as described, i'm first going to export each of those local notebooks into a separate .enex file, so i can re-import them after completing the resyncing process. i hope this is helpful to anyone else who finds this thread.

Archived