(Archived) Bug - dragging multiple tags leaves them selected

sterlingz

Idea

Hi there,

I'm using Evernote for Mac v.1.6, and when I try to reorganize tags, they stay selected when dropped onto a new tag. I cannot find a way to deselect them, and as soon as I click on a new tag and start to drag it, the formerly selected tags travel with it. I cannot for the life of me make this stop - the only way is to quit and restart the application.

Needless to say, this is incredibly frustrating when trying to organize tags, which I'm trying to make more use of since subnotebooks are not an option, and probably won't be for the foreseeable future.

12 replies to this idea

I wasn't able to reproduce this after a few tests: I click on a tag to select it, then drag it and drop it on a different tag. Then I click on a different tag, and the dragged tag is deselected.

Does this happen to you every time, or only under certain circumstances?

Try running the Mac "Console" application after this happens, and check the last dozen lines for any obvious errors that you could send us.

Thanks

Sure, that would be good.

You may also want to try the latest pre-release version of the Mac client after a reboot to see if the behavior changes:

Quit Evernote from the Menu Bar

Drag the Evernote application to the system Trash

Reboot your Mac

Download and install this pre-release version of the Mac client:

http://www.evernote.com/about/download/ ... releaseMac

Let us know how this works for you.

Thanks

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for the beta build. It does not solve the problem. I also encountered this issue after installing Evernote 1.6 on two of my client's computer. The tags stay selected after becoming children of the parent tag. I will try to take a screen capture to show you what it looks like.

Dave-

I think I isolated the issue. It occurs if there is a parent tag that is not assigned to any notes. As long as there is one note assigned with a tag at the top level, the subtags do not stay selected.

I think it's worth fixing this. Given that Evernote promotes the use of tags as the way of organizing hierarchical data, there are a number of cases where I'm only using the top level tag as a container. Example: Year is a top level tag for 2010, 2009, etc. I don't actually plan to tag any of my notes with a "Year" tag, but I want to be able to expand that tag and click on 2010, 2009, etc. to see all of the corresponding notes.

Sorry - I spoke too soon.

This behavior is still occurring, even with other tags assigned to notes. The issue is that once certain tags are selected, I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to deselecting them. See attached screen grab from sidebar. Once these tags had been selected, I could not find a way to deselect them. Command clicking did nothing.

post-20222-131906064883_thumb.png

Dave,

I'm attaching a video here. I hope you get a sense of how infuriating this is when trying to manage a large set of tags. I've been trying for days now to bring some order to my tags, and every time end up making a hash of it because of this bug.

If subnotebooks are truly not on the horizon, then I really think the Evernote development team needs to focus first and foremost on fixing these tag bugs, and then give some thought on how to optimize the tag management UI. The way it currently stands is just unacceptable.

Evernote Tag Bug.m4v.zip

Archived