Is there a version of Evernote that works on Mac OS 10.6.8 and if so where do I get it?

BostonBuck

Idea

I just inherited my son's older Macbook that seems to be upgraded to the max version of the operating system, OS 10.6.8.  Being a newbie to the Mac maybe this is not true and I can upgrade it, even though when I hit the upgrade button it tells me I cannot upgrade to the one offered for free in the Mac Store. So if I cannot upgrade, is there a version of Evernote that I can use that is compatible and if so where can I get it. Thanks MB

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

BB, 10.6.x is Snow Leopard, and you need to get to at least 10.7, Lion, if you can.  All of the recent versions of Evernote require 10.7+  

If your Mac was made on/after 2006 you stand a good chance of being able to install at least Lion.

Maybe this will help:

What to Do if Your Mac Can’t Run OS X Yosemite

Lion Capable Macs (no longer supported)

If your Mac isn't new enough to run Yosemite, then unfortunately it's not capable of running an Apple operating system that's still fully supported. However, if your Mac has a Core 2 Duo processor (one of the models listed below), and as long as it has at least 2 GB of RAM and 7 GB of free hard drive space, it should still be able to run Lion (which, although increasingly less safe to use now, is at least better than Snow Leopard or earlier because it had been getting security updates until recently):

• iMac (Late 2006 or Early 2007)
  • MacBook (Late 2006, Mid or Late 2007, or Early 2008)
  • MacBook Air (original model from Early 2008)
  • MacBook Pro (Late 2006)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2007)
  • Mac Pro (original 2006 model, including any bought in 2007)
  • Xserve (Late 2006 or Early 2008)

If Lion is the newest version of OS X that will run on your Mac, but you never purchased it while it was available in the Mac App Store, you won't be able to find it for sale there anymore. You may, however, still be able to buy it by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE; in the past, Apple would send a special code via e-mail that would enable Lion to be downloaded from the Mac App Store.

Those who are unsure which Mac model they own may find EveryMac and apple-history to be useful sites.

BB,

I am currently using version 5.5.2 of Evernote on my old iMac with Snow Leopard (10.6.8), without any problems (except that it is not updated any more).

If it is not 'illegal', I can put the file (.app or .dmg) in a public dropbox link, but has JMichael say, is better to install Lion.

• Level 5*

I don't see anything on the Evernote.com web site, but in the Mac AppStore it says that Ver 6 will run on Mac OS X 10.7.5.

So after you update to Lion 10.7, just make sure it is further updated to 10.7.5, and you should be able to install the latest Evernote ver 6.0.6 from the Evernote.com site.

Archived