DeeFred

Bug: Shared Notes can't be "unshared"

I have a note that I share with four people.  At the top of the note it indicates "You are editing a note that is shared with 4 people".  I can click on the "4 people" hyperlink and see the individuals that are sharing the note (screenshot attached).  Ultimately, I am trying to change who I am sharing this note with.  However, when I go to Permissions, I get an error message:

"Can't open permissions.  Nothing to see here!  Permissions control view and edit access for shared notes, but this note isn't shared with anyone".  

It's shared, but I can't remove the people that it's shared with because it doesn't recognize the note as being shared.  And I have confirmed with the four individuals that it is shared with that they are seeing the updates to the note, so they definitely are sharing the note.  All I want to do is remove all sharing from this (and other) notes but it is not recognizing that the notes are shared.

This is happening with all of my shared notes, unfortunately.  Ever since this "Work Chat" feature was implemented, this has been broken.  

Very frustrating. 

post-247944-0-58412400-1423057731_thumb.

One important detail I forgot to note:  I was the one that created this note (and all the notes in question that I am trying to change permissions on), and added the four individuals to the note (I shared it with them).  

How about copying the content of that note to a new note,  and deleting the old one?  If you need to unshare a lot of notes,  try exporting the shared versions to an ENEX file (check options to ensure you include tags) and then re-import to a different notebook.  Delete the originals to stop them sharing.  Meantime try out version 6.0.6 which should now be available,  and if that doesn't help submit a bug report by choosing "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging into this link > https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

How about copying the content of that note to a new note,  and deleting the old one?  If you need to unshare a lot of notes,  try exporting the shared versions to an ENEX file (check options to ensure you include tags) and then re-import to a different notebook.  Delete the originals to stop them sharing. 

That work-around comes with a lot of issues that you may NOT want to encounter:

1. Goes against your monthly upload allowance unnecessarily
  2. All Note links to the copies/exported Notes are lost.

@DeeFred:  If you have a Premium account, you can use EN Support Chat to get a quick response to your issue.

If you are unable to unshare a Note or Notebook, then this is truly a very serious BUG.

You might try:

1. Restarting your Mac and then try to unshare
  2. Go to EN Web client (NOT Beta) at Evernote.com, and try to unshare there.

@gazumped:  thanks for the suggestion.  Hadn't tried that, but will give it a shot on one or two.

@JMichael:  Didn't know that about Premium so will head over there and see what they have to say.   Actually, went to the web client and was able to un-share there, and confirmed that the changes trickled down to the Mac client.  Good suggestion.  

• Like 3

@DeeFred:  I just updated to Ver 6.0.6, and I was able to share a Note, and then unshare by right-clicking on the Note > More Sharing > Permissions, and then click on the X button by the person's name.

Ver 6.0.6 is NOT in the App Store, and that may be the reason you're having trouble sharing -- the App Store versions continue to have issues.

I highly recommend that all switch to the Direct DL version.

Evernote has reported that you can simply drag the Evernote.app to trash, and then install from the Evernote Web site.

The Direct DL install will do the switch/conversion for you.

But be sure to do a full manual sync and to export to ENEX all of your Local Notebooks before you start this.

There have been a few users who reported losing Local NB after doing the switch.

Evernote Web:
 I could not find option to disable a Note book itself ?. Can any one point me the right option. But, I dont think, there is a one to unshare .. its pathetic

- Sunny

Hello Sunnyg78,

On the new web client you would tap the (i) icon on the notebook list to access Notebook settings and permissions.  See the screenshot below.  We would never release a product that did not allow you to control your sharing privileges.  

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAwqyiEq4PZJwrDfkZGiMlNXq1uJKh4ueBo

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure, how would you expect a user to click info icon to change the settings!!. Its iconi usability issue.

However, I am still find it NOT Solved. I have a group which I shared to set of users, but when look into the 'Info' it says 'Not Shared'

Hello Sunnyg78,

I have a group which I shared to set of users, but when look into the 'Info' it says 'Not Shared'

Can you clarify what you mean by a group?  Do you mean you have a group of notes that are shared with users but the notebook itself is not shared?  On which client did you initiate the sharing?

Hello Sunnyg78,

I have a group which I shared to set of users, but when look into the 'Info' it says 'Not Shared'

Can you clarify what you mean by a group?  Do you mean you have a group of notes that are shared with users but the notebook itself is not shared?  On which client did you initiate the sharing?

Its a Notebook ( group of notes ), shared to set of users but when looking into the info, its says Not Shared. And I am using Web.