All notes lost following cleaning old versions of Evernote

LydiaB

Idea

Hi there,

I am an Evernote Premium account user and I've just had the worrying experience of seemingly losing over 1,200 notes following (stupidly) using AppCleaner2 to attempt to remove old and unused versions of the application from my Mac (OS X 10.9.5). I originally thought I'd lost the online versions too, though now they appear to still be there (tentative phew).

I also use Evernote on my iPhone (not sure of the version, where would I find this info?). I currently use version 6.0.5 on my Mac, direct download. Even when synced with my online account, this desktop version is telling me I have no notes, which is a bit concerning.

I would appreciate any advice you can give for restoring my notes, as well as some advice regarding safely removing old versions in the future.

Thank you,

Lydia

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Lydia, if all of your Notes appear in the EN Web client at Evernote.com, then they should download to your EN Mac when it is sync'd.

After you ran AppCleaner2 on your Mac, did you re-download and reinstall EN Mac?

Best to use the Direct DL version since the Mac AppStore version still has some issues.

After you install EN Mac, if you don't see any notes, then restart your Mac.

The latest version, 6.0.6, was just released today and will reindex your all of your EN Notes, so it might take a while.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

BTW, the best forum for this thread is the Mac Help forum.  I will move it.

Thanks for that information. I redownloaded Evernote this morning when the loss of notes occurred, following a failed attempt at getting them back through restoring the trashed versions. Even with the new version I found that when syncing my account was only downloading notes that I had made online today and not the other 1,200 I can see in the EN Web Client.

Should I remove all other version of Evernote from my system prior to re-downloading?

Thanks for the help so far

Hi, I'm still having some issues with getting my notes back onto my Mac.

I've done as you suggested and followed the 'How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac' guide. In this process I manually deleted what I could, then used AppCleaner2 to remove other files. I restarted my computer several times in this process. I then downloaded the newest version (6.0.6) and reinstalled, but the problem still remains. I can sync notes modified online or in another desktop version within the last few days, but nothing else.

I have removed then reinstalled EN for Mac about five times now. Each time, I find the new version is still getting information from previous versions (such as my account name, the created date for EN reads when it was downloaded a few days ago), so it seems that my clean slate is not as clean as I had hoped.

Where should I go from here in order to properly wipe the old EN from my system?

• Level 5*

LydiaB, I'm sorry things haven't restored your EN Mac data.

Indexing is only done on the platform clients, like Mac and Win.

The EN Web service doesn't need indexing as it pulls directly from the EN Cloud Service.

At this point all I can suggest is that you submit a bug report.

If you are a Premium account owner you have access to the real-time EN Support Chat, probably the best and fastest way to resolve your issue at this time.  If you're not Premium, you can upgrade for one month for $5.

See Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

See Evernote Chat Support., available business days 7am-7pm US CST. 

(Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

Archived