(Archived) Tag Rules - Auto removal

Hi Engberg,

12 months ago I was asking if it was possible to see a reinstatement of the tag rules used in EN2.2 and was wondering if there was any further progress.

The context I had in mind in particular was the automatic removal of a given tag when another was assigned to a note. e.g. When items in my "Activities" tag group (to do, urgent, sometime, etc) are completed, and I want to assign them with a "Done" tag instead, I would drag the note to the 'done' tag and the 'to do' tag would automatically be removed when the 'done' tag was assigned.

At the moment, I have to manually remove at least one tag every time I mark something as 'done'.

Aside from my own application, I'm sure others would find it useful in different contexts, to have automatic tag removal when reassigning tags.

It was a great little feature that kept EN unique. Hope it returns.

Chris

We've replaced the old "auto-category" feature in Evernote 2.2 with three distinct features to organize your notes: notebooks, tags, and saved searches.

If you want to specify a set of criteria which should be dynamically applied to find notes, then you should use a Saved Search. For example, if you search for this, you'll find all of the notes that are tagged with "MyToDo" that are not also tagged with "Done":

tag:"MyToDo" -tag:"Done"

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, that would totally mess up the flexibility of being able to assign multiple tags to notes.

Not at all. Multiple tags still worked fine. Sometimes though, applying a new tag to an item, would sometimes make an earlier tag redundant, and the v2.2 made it possible to automate the process quite well. However, they've changed tack here and now want to put the focus on saved searches instead.

Chris

We've replaced the old "auto-category" feature in Evernote 2.2 with three distinct features to organize your notes: notebooks, tags, and saved searches.

If you want to specify a set of criteria which should be dynamically applied to find notes, then you should use a Saved Search. For example, if you search for this, you'll find all of the notes that are tagged with "MyToDo" that are not also tagged with "Done":

tag:"MyToDo" -tag:"Done"

Hi Dave,

I had a feeling the reply would have something to do with saved searches! I have well over 100 different tags at the moment (which may not be a lot for many), and have preferred to let the tags keep me organised (a result of using pre v3 versions), instead of creating saved searches as well. I guess I haven't got my head around using the saved searches in the way that had been intended to it's fullest. Have you guys put together any documents that describe all the syntax used in saved searches?

Chris

With the current versions of the clients, you should need to muck around in the search syntax any more ... you can just use the UI to type in search words, select tags, select attributes, etc. Then Save that set of criteria to a Saved Search.

(In the version 3.1 Windows client, there was no UI for this, so you had to edit them manually. Version 3.5 fixed this.)

Appendix C of our API Overview gives all of the gory details if you're interested, however:

http://www.evernote.com/about/developer/api/

Archived