How to enter location using latitude and longitude

Hi all,

I'd like to enter a location for a particular note by manually entering the latitude and longitude.  I know I can do this on the Windows platform by clicking on the Location area on the note info window, but it won't accept the lat & long that I get directly from Google Earth, which is, for example: 

Latitude:  33°44'51.26" N

Longitude: 104°59'13.30" W

So, in the input field, I enter: 33°44'51.26" N,104°59'13.30" W

But the OK button is still disabled.  I tried replacing the degrees, minutes and seconds characters with spaces, but still can't click the OK button.

Does anyone know what EN expects for latitude, longitude, and optional altitude in this dialog box?

Thanks,

Don

• Level 5

I asked a similar question back in 2009 and received a response from Evernote's superstar Dave Engberg.

The forum response is no longer view-able, but I did capture the information:

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAJmtJjqEqdOP4D_sOdffHfJRNrjfwO_j-M/

After seeing this answer, I stopped using longitude and latitude.  :wacko:

• Level 5*

Well I have a note which has "53.803900,-1.544890" in the location field which shows "West Yorkshire, England, UK" in the note header.  Entering West Yorkshire in the note however isn't a valid entry in that field.   Dave's link at http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/degrees-minutes-seconds-tofrom-decimal-degrees is still valid and does exactly what it says on the can...

• Level 5*

Well I have a note which has "53.803900,-1.544890" in the location field which shows "West Yorkshire, England, UK" in the note header.  Entering West Yorkshire in the note however isn't a valid entry in that field.   Dave's link at http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/degrees-minutes-seconds-tofrom-decimal-degrees is still valid and does exactly what it says on the can...

Maybe this is a Windows vs Mac thing, but in EN Mac entering the City, State works quite well.

Perhaps "West Yorkshire" is not enough information, or maybe the Location UI just works better in the USA.   ;)

• Level 5*

I asked a similar question back in 2009 and received a response from Evernote's superstar Dave Engberg.

Ah, but you are using latitude & longitude if you do what Dave suggested. You're just using decimal degrees rather than degrees/minutes/seconds notation (DMS). Frankly, DMS is a pain, for the most part.

• Level 5

Ah, but you are using latitude & longitude if you do what Dave suggested. You're just using decimal degrees rather than degrees/minutes/seconds notation (DMS). Frankly, DMS is a pain, for the most part.

Actually the ultimate reason for not using longitude/latitude was I found I never had a use for it.

I no longer use Evernote on my smart phone.

Location tags allowed faster entry and easier searching.

Location's/Atlas in Evernote needs work... Needs to be clickable into google maps... Not stand alone...

I use locations all the time as and adress book Journal... I mail locations to my evernote specific email to save in my adress book...

But I cant just go into evernote to create a note and "mark my current location" (Already a feature to do this)... But on clicking my atlas/location, I cant get into google maps to navigate.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're using iOS you have an alternative with your app called IdeaPlaces for Evernote

In IdeaPlaces you can search for Addresses/Places or manually move the pin on the map.

You can create notes at a remote location or move notes to a different location.

There are many other features and you can follow the discussion here or on the AppStore

Here is what our users are saying:

IdeaPlaces shrinks time and distance If the "where" matters to you this App is a magic carpet. It will change the way you "see" Evernote. - Paul F

We love Evernote, however IdeaPlaces allows us to better geo-code all our notes which is fantastic in the real estate industry. - Jason M

Ciprian,

Founder of IdeaPlaces.

• 11 months later...

I have a solution for WIndows desktops for the automated resolution of the current location: if the Microsoft Weather gadget is running, clicking on the note Info button and then, the "Click to set location..." link will set the note's location according to the Windows location service. I am on Windows 8.1.

Unfortunately:

• Windows gadgets are no longer supported in Windows 8/10 and are a documented security risk.
  • The Microsoft Weather gadget no longer works as the dependent weather server is no longer operating.
  • The solution is hardly elegant - but it does seem to perform a often requested feature.

I haven't been successful at working out why this peculiar solution works - and why other location-based application do not seem to have the same effect - or more importantly, why the Evernote Windows application does not take advantage of this clearly available operating system service. Perhaps someone here with some Windows application development knowledge can shed some light on this...

Archived