Using Evernote to scan docs to a file server as PDF's

I'm needing to scan a bunch of individual sheets of paper to a file server as a PDF. Each PDF needs to be 1, 2 or 3 images saved to one file. JPG is also a possibility but not optimal as is a searchable PDF.

It occurred to me that Evernote gives me a great way to take quick, effective images of a sheet of paper, plus I can do multiple images in one note using a tablet or cell phone. I'm Android based.

I've been  using a flat scanner on a workgroup color printer to do this work, which is slow and clumsy to do.

Evernote is not the final repository of the file, simply a way to get it done quickly. I can create a note, give it a title based on the document I am scanning, image + image + image and done.

Now I have a document on my Evernote account as a note.

A complicating factor is my tablet and cell are using my personal Evernote account, and sharing the containing notebook to my work Evernote account. So far, that doesn't seem relevant or affect this process.

With the note now saved in Evernote, I am opening it and wanting to save it to the file server locally. It looks to me like my only option is using a PDF print driver, which on my machine is slow to do as it crunches through converting the file to PDF.

Are there any methods that might make this easier to do? I don't see a way to save the note directly as a PDF for example, at least not in Windows Evernote.

I'm contemplating getting an older iPhone, hook up my work Evernote account, and use that for images, perhaps with the Scannable app for IOS.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Level 5*

I'm needing to scan a bunch of individual sheets of paper to a file server as a PDF. Each PDF needs to be 1, 2 or 3 images saved to one file. JPG is also a possibility but not optimal as is a searchable PDF.

Evernote is not the final repository of the file, simply a way to get it done quickly. I can create a note, give it a title based on the document I am scanning, image + image + image and done.

Since Evernote is NOT your final destination for your PDFs, I see no advantage in using Evernote.  Also EN cannot store Notes on a file server, and I believe that the EN Import folders are also limited to your main local drive.

I would use a PC or Mac with a good scanner (like Scansnap) to scan the documents as PDF to your file server, and/or to DropBox folders.  I have used Scansnap for years, and currently have a S1300i, which yield high quality at a good price.

I have the same scanner at home. It is unfortunately too slow for this job compared to taking images, plus the docs are stapled and cannot be undone for this job, which would add more time in any event. Plus I don't have funds to purchase a Scansnap for this job and doesn't seem all that useful to have one when a mobile camera works great to do the same thing.

Evernote has the advantage of being mobile based, so I can use the camera and sync wirelessly and immediately available with no extra steps. It may be easier to use another app to do the same thing, save multiple images as one PDF to a file server or Dropbox folder.

It seems to me from my google-fu that choosing 'document camera' as the note type input selection sets the note up to create a PDF. I don't see that happening though in my tests. Still having to print the note to a PDF using a PDF driver in order to get the final file.

• Level 5*

IME, scanning a document one page at a time using a smartphone is way slower than putting all of the pages into a scanner.

Once I put the pages into the scanner, I can do other work while it is scanning.

I don't understand the difficulty in removing staples -- it's not that hard and doesn't take that long.

Scanning with a smartphone will not produce nearly the quality of scan as a dedicated scanner.

But if you really want to use a smartphone, there are a number of great dedicated scanning apps for the iPhone, and I would expect there are also many available for Android phones.

Most of these can save the document to DropBox, which would be much better than Evernote, IMO.

Archived