Regular notes being created for GTD

I use evernote now for GTD and secretweapon.org and it is really powerful. However, one feature I haven't managed to work out is to create regular notes with a task included (e.g. "schedule meeting with XXXX"). Is there any way to do this - even if it means that I have to use a 3rd party feed and link it with IFTTT?

TIA

But... TSW is all about managing tasks. Do they not present you with a way to create notes with a task included? I mean, a task will always take the form of a note... it just depends how you want your notes to be presented/ organized - whether by tags, reminders, 3rd-party apps, etc. A task can never exist separately from a note. They're always associated. Your task will most likely be your note title.

Well... why don't you explain what you've already done (your setup) and what you mean by creating a regular note with a task included. That might help to better understand what you want to achieve :-)

But... TSW is all about managing tasks. Do they not present you with a way to create notes with a task included? I mean, a task will always take the form of a note... it just depends how you want your notes to be presented/ organized - whether by tags, reminders, 3rd-party apps, etc. A task can never exist separately from a note. They're always associated. Your task will most likely be your note title.

Well... why don't you explain what you've already done (your setup) and what you mean by creating a regular note with a task included. That might help to better understand what you want to achieve :-)

Sorry - each note is a task in a notebook called Next Actions, tagged with priority. I just want to auto create notes within that notebook with a particular title, at a particular time. This will act as a prompt for me to do something regularly. Remember the milk has this as recurring tasks.

I think I may have a solution - there are several email reminder services out there that will send emails at intervals - if I use this with my email address from EN, then it will post in to my default notebook - just testing it now.

Aaah... yes, recurring reminders is what you're after. Evernote does not have recurring reminders, as you've already discovered. I have a manual kanban-type system where I manually recycle recurring tasks.

In line with your email suggestion, one decent service is followupthen. The only thing with such a system is that you only get reminded on the day your task is due... so it might creep up on you. Another thing you might want to try is include an exclamation mark at the end of your subject line so that Evernote creates a reminder for your task. Usually with these services your email subject line contains the reminder itself, so that should work. You can also specify a destination notebook and tag(s) in the subject line if you wish. 

If you rely on mobile device, usually they come with their own reminder apps. I use iOS Reminders for a few recurring reminders. AFAIK, you can't set a specific reminder time/date through emails sent to Evernote (aside from clipping via Gmail, which is manual)... so you would not get a notification via the Evernote app, nor an email from them (Evernote) on the day a task is due. So... the chances of missing your reminder sent in automatically to your EN email address is kind of high... unless you're constantly checking your Reminders List... and even then, unless you have a reminder date set, it may very well slip through the cracks - since you won't be able to sort reminders that don't have a date... by date. And you may not be looking at the right notebook. 

I could also suggest another great 3rd party app that syncs with Evernote - Gneo. If you like the Eisenhower Matrix, it's great. You can set reminders... plus, a cool thing you can do is use one of their features that can put a task off to any future date... so once you're done with a recurring task, you can put it off to the same date in the following month or whenever...

• Level 5*

I think I may have a solution - there are several email reminder services out there that will send emails at intervals - if I use this with my email address from EN, then it will post in to my default notebook - just testing it now.

FollowUpThen works well in this regard.  I use the free version as a trigger for notes I like to review weekly or monthly.  Though I do send the reminder to my email as opposed to EN.  Less chance of ADD kicking in and it getting lost if I have to process it in email first.  

I managed this very similarly to @csihilling - but the last part I changed. I do like all my tasks to be in one note book, so instead of just leaving it in my inbox, I've set up a filter (it's a gmail account) where it forwards the email on to my evernote email address with the correct tags and then deletes the original from my gmail account -all sweet. followupthen.com is actually quite a cool service.

• Level 5*

Cool.  To be clear to anyone who might read this thread, I use FUT more as trigger process as opposed to a task creation process, hence leaving the FUT email in my inbox.  

Great idea using FUT as a note creation process I must say.  Well done.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I used to be super disorganized, and would constantly strive to find new ways of being production without being messy.  Papers would scatter my desk, post-it notes would be placed everywhere--I was getting really tired and frustrated with doing everything by hand.  My friends at work told me to read a book by David Allen called "Getting Things Done."  The concept of GTD has completely changed my life, and it is super, super EASY to adopt.  GTD has become something of a movement lately, and many apps and developers have started to copy and incorporate GTD concepts into their systems.  At first, I was frustrated that an app didn't exist for GTD.  I tried to use Evernote (yes I know it's popular) but it just didn't do it for me...luckily I found a cool new app called Taskorami.  It used to only be available on Windows 8, but has since been adapted to be available on many different devices including the iPhone.  I couldn't recommend Taskorami enough, as I use it for EVERYTHING now!

Hope this helps!

• Level 5*

I see from the website that I can 'request early access' to taskorami.  which will

Access my tasks Everywhere and (apparently)

I will be stress free and

I want Taskorami because

I will be stress free

...from March 24th. 

Is there actually any information about what it does that's so great as opposed to all the other 'to do' apps out there?  (Which by the way don't do what Evernote does...)

Archived