restore a database from app store EN to Download EN

vixster

Idea

Greetings,

I have wiped out my mbp and did a clean install of  yosemite..(10.10.2)

before wipe out, I have been using from the app store EN 5.2.1 (10.8.5 os) using only local notes.

Now I want to use the downloaded version  evernote 5.6.2.. .

so this is a 2 part questions.

What is the best way to restore my database...

AA) Should I put the containers back in place then install the downloaded version? Will the downloaded version see the containers?

BB) install the downloaded version and just reimport each enx file and create a new stack?

I have looked in past discussions, I just want to be certain I take the best approach..

Thanks

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

If you have the ENEX files that are up-to-date, then the easiest, and probably best, approach is to install the EN Mac version that you want, then import the ENEX files.  Be sure to check the box to include Tags.

BTW, I'm not sure why you choose Ver 5.6.2 -- it was in the early stages of a complete rewrite.

I would choose either the latest ver, 6.0.5, or Ver 5.5.2 (last ver prior to the rewrite).

Since you are now on Yosemite, I think 6.0.5 is probably the best ver for you.  Versions prior to 6.0 didn't play that well on Yosemite.

In all cases I would install the Direct DL from the Evernote web site.  The Mac App Store versions continue to have issues.

If you have the ENEX files that are up-to-date, then the easiest, and probably best, approach is to install the EN Mac version that you want, then import the ENEX files.  Be sure to check the box to include Tags.

BTW, I'm not sure why you choose Ver 5.6.2 -- it was in the early stages of a complete rewrite.

I would choose either the latest ver, 6.0.5, or Ver 5.5.2 (last ver prior to the rewrite).

Since you are now on Yosemite, I think 6.0.5 is probably the best ver for you.  Versions prior to 6.0 didn't play that well on Yosemite.

In all cases I would install the Direct DL from the Evernote web site.  The Mac App Store versions continue to have issues.

I would love to download 5.5.2, where do I find this?...  what are the major diff's between 6.0.5 and 5.5.2... I keep local database Only... but still need search capabilities in pdf's.. thanks

• Level 5*

For Ver 5.5.2 (last pre-rewrite), from Evernote Direct D/L  http://goo.gl/BcRshG

For Ver 6.0.5 info, see https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79277-evernote-for-mac-605-releases-app-store-and-download/

I guess you can start out on Ver 5.5.2 and see if that will work OK for you on Yosemite.

If you have issues, then you can always update to Ver 6.0.5.

JMichael, Thank you, ...

so I'm going to install 5.5.2, then import the enex files I created for each stack. .. sounds good. thank you!

All is good.. question for you ...

If i copy the entire applications support/evernote folder to another computer and install same copy of evernote, will it run?  I'm thinking of cloning that folder to another computer on a daily bases... will this work? thanks

• Level 5*

All is good.. question for you ...

If i copy the entire applications support/evernote folder to another computer and install same copy of evernote, will it run?  I'm thinking of cloning that folder to another computer on a daily bases... will this work? thanks

It probably should, but that's not the normal way of "syncing" two computers -- there's lots of opportunities for things to go wrong.

May I ask, why not just sync the normal way?

Archived