Using the same Evernote database from two Win7 user accounts on the same machine

bchmara

I have a desktop machine that I use for development work.  I have two accounts on the machine, User and Dev.  I would like to be able to use the same Evernote DB from both accounts.

I installed Evernote making the application available to all users.  Using Evernote under the User account, I moved the database to a folder that is accessible to both accounts.  I have not yet tried using Evernote from the Dev account.  My first thought was to simply point Evernote to the same database folder that I have the User Evernote instance configured to use.

I have no problem doing some experimenting, but if someone has already done the same thing, I would rather not reinvent the process.  I found one post from 2012 that discussed the issue, but that's old enough that I thought it would be a good idea to revisit the question.

Thanks,

Bob Chmara

• Level 5*

Having the post from 2012 would be helpful.

Personally, I think that it's a bad idea in general, particularly if you have both accounts logged in at the same time, unless you're very careful about logging out of Evernote when you change to a different account (people still use fast user switching in Windows, right?). I don't know that the Evernote client is designed to access the same database at the same time, but I wouldn't want to bet on it unless specifically given the nod from Evernote. I've never seen any such assurance.

• Level 5*

So basically, the idea is that folks in the other thread also view this as risky (considering the small number of comments as well). You could open a support request (or use Live Chat if you're premium) to ask Evernote directly, otherwise, you're on your own, unless someone else has tried this and wants to chime in.

• Level 5*

I'd agree with @jefito - nothing known,  but two logins to the same account easily get around Evernote's basic note conflict protection process - you might get a 'note locked' warning if a note is opened by another user,  but if you're the same user but on a different profile,  you might well confuse things horribly...  

You could set up two different accounts and share one or more notebooks between them - but always remember to sync before and after any views or edits!

Archived