Editing Writing using Jot Script Pen

Jo-el

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to figure out how to use my evernote account and a jotscript pen to go paperless in my student workflow for a writing class.  I've looked far and wide and still haven't found anybody doing (or at least written about) this option.

Here is what I'd like to do:

Option #1

1. Students send me an email to my evernote email.
  2. I then use a jotscript pen to edit their paper like I would if they gave me a written copy
  3. I send it back to their email for them to revise

Option #2 - Do the same via a chat in evernote with students who have an evernote account.

Anyone have any advice? Experience? My goal is to go as paperless as possible.  I've tried this with my son and his evernote account but the workflow using penultimate was less than ideal.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello. I'm a premium user / primary school teacher. I do something more clunky - I scan their written work on my android phone into evernote then annotate it (using the inbuilt skitch features of evernote on android), then print off my marking and they stick it in. Hardly paperless - more paper wasting. However, I do get to pre-program a load of marking comments on my phone to save time. I can highlight areas easily and include emojis within my pre-programmed comments that I call up from within my google keyboard app on the phone. A three letter code produces a couple of sentences of advice for them which is a great time saver for me. Even better - I can mark books in a shop's queue, walking to the resource room or when on a bus or in the bathroom etc.  No more tower of book doom for me.

3 hours ago, Andy Russell said:

Hello. I'm a premium user / primary school teacher. I do something more clunky - I scan their written work on my android phone into evernote then annotate it (using the inbuilt skitch features of evernote on android), then print off my marking and they stick it in. Hardly paperless - more paper wasting. However, I do get to pre-program a load of marking comments on my phone to save time. I can highlight areas easily and include emojis within my pre-programmed comments that I call up from within my google keyboard app on the phone. A three letter code produces a couple of sentences of advice for them which is a great time saver for me. Even better - I can mark books in a shop's queue, walking to the resource room or when on a bus or in the bathroom etc.  No more tower of book doom for me.

To tell the truth, I'd just mark the papers in paper. Scanning them in then printing them probabley takes more time than it saves. :)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Andy Russell said:

I'm a premium user / primary school teacher. I do something more clunky - I scan their written work on my android phone into evernote then annotate it

Seems like a good idea, but I'd prefer to do it with a tablet for the bigger screen

Do you retain the contents for other purposes than the marking?

Thanks for the imput. I'm thinking of something more digital - digital for upper grades/college. Where they would send me their papers and I would edit them, save them and send them back to them. I guess the easiest flow would be to edit the papers using MS Word on my MacBook Air 11" (not much bigger than an iPad but much easier to use) and use the reviewing function.

I did use EN for my "everyday photography class" last semester. The students would email me their photos with their captions. I could then comment on the photo, edit the paragraph and send it back to them. It was a bit cumbersome as I had to go into the "information" section to see where that email came from. If EN had some icon indicating the note was from and email and a quick way to respond would be awesome.  

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Jo-el said:

I guess the easiest flow would be to edit the papers using MS Word

I wouldn't go switching formats; I find PDFs are the best format for interchanging documents

I wouldn't rely on the Evernote Annotation features
My favourite app for this on the iPad is Notability

I agree, pdf are convenient. However, if I make the changes in Word (embedded in EN) then the changes will be made for the person to review and make changes.  I use this with my son quite frequently (also and EN user).  He does all his class work in EN and then can send me his papers written in WORD. I then use the Reviewing function. Save it and then let him know I've reviewed it. This back and for can go on as long as I need it to. 

Now writing on the document with a digital pen would not be possible in this case. 

Thanks for the info on Notability.  I'll have to check that out! Right now I'm iPad less because I gave mine to my pre-teen daughter. I'm waiting for the iPad that can switch between iOS and OS X....that'll be a game changer. :-) 

Also, for my classes I'm dealing with a few hundred students so developing a simple, yet reliable workflow is important. 

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

Seems like a good idea, but I'd prefer to do it with a tablet for the bigger screen

Do you retain the contents for other purposes than the marking?

Yes, apart from returning marked work, I now have a searchable backlog of their work for assessment purposes. At the point of scanning it, it has a laminated name tag resting in the top corner by the written objective title. (They leave this in their books for me. If I ask them to write it, many would forget.) The work is now tagged in the scan. I bought my high spec, large memory android phone for the purpose of getting Evernote going. It's more portable than an ipad and that means i can mark work by pulling my phone out of my pocket. The android features were better than the iphone ones for my purposes a few months back. I shall check out notability though for when I am by the ipad but I imagine the shorter workflow of one app will keep me rooted in EN.

In this example, (MARKING 3.PDF   -  CHECK IT OUT...) , I have used pre-programmed assessment sentences, including emojis, that have been saved in my Google keyboard app on my phone, a personalised comment, (which I could have dictated but typed using predictive text where possible), and a large white blank annotation surrounded by a yellow box. This is the area where they can re-do a part of their work to show they have understood my comments. There is also an assessment grade of 'developing'. They really like the colourful marking that I have introduced. These children are 10. I accept that it is not for everyone but it's working well in my primary class. I do this marking about a third of the time, otherwise I mark by pen to more or less detail. Scanning and keeping the work for EN is enough for my assessments. Hope this helps someone.

Marking 3..pdf

8 hours ago, Andy Russell said:

Yes, apart from returning marked work, I now have a searchable backlog of their work for assessment purposes. At the point of scanning it, it has a laminated name tag resting in the top corner by the written objective title. (They leave this in their books for me. If I ask them to write it, many would forget.) The work is now tagged in the scan. I bought my high spec, large memory android phone for the purpose of getting Evernote going. It's more portable than an ipad and that means i can mark work by pulling my phone out of my pocket. The android features were better than the iphone ones for my purposes a few months back. I shall check out notability though for when I am by the ipad but I imagine the shorter workflow of one app will keep me rooted in EN.

Ah, now I see the advantage of what you do. You have a backlog of work which you can search. Do you organise this in different notebooks per student, or have a notebook per subject/year and then put the homework and student name in the note title?

2 minutes ago, GiacomoLaw said:

Ah, now I see the advantage of what you do. You have a backlog of work which you can search. Do you organise this in different notebooks per student, or have a notebook per subject/year and then put the homework and student name in the note title?

Hello. I am new to EN and still wondering what to do for the best. I have made separate notebooks for the children and everything goes in there - one book for each child. I am a primary school teacher so they get most of their lessons from me. I don't feel i need to have a different notebook for science and english lessons with them. I am not much of a tagger either. Maybe I ned to be, we'll see.

My EN use started by needing somewhere to put all the ed-related research I did for lessons and teaching strategies, then the digital marking got developed and now I have this wonderful log of their work. However, I'm still trying to work out the best way to track progress with it.

Just now, Andy Russell said:

Hello. I am new to EN and still wondering what to do for the best. I have made separate notebooks for the children and everything goes in there - one book for each child. I am a primary school teacher so they get most of their lessons from me. I don't feel i need to have a different notebook for science and english lessons with them. I am not much of a tagger either. Maybe I ned to be, we'll see.

My EN use started by needing somewhere to put all the ed-related research I did for lessons and teaching strategies, then the digital marking got developed and now I have this wonderful log of their work. However, I'm still trying to work out the best way to track progress with it.

Ah, okay cool.

Here is what I suggest:

1. Make a notebook for each subject you teach (English, Maths etc)
  2. When homework is handed in, make a new note in the correct notebook, and tag it with the child's name and the year.
  3. Done!

This has multiple advantages:

• As EN has a limit of 250 notebooks, you may hit that limit soon.
  • You can sort notes by going onto the child's tag, and then see all the work they have done regardless of notebook.
  • Using years allows you to use search to only show the current year of the child's work.

What do you think of this? Hoped it helped!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Andy Russell said:

I don't feel i need to have a different notebook for science and english lessons with them. I am not much of a tagger either. Maybe I need to be, we'll see.

I wouldn't go crazy breaking creating Notebooks to organize your notes.  As @GiacomoLaw said, there's  a 250 Notebook limit.  It also gets to be too much work.

You could just insert the details in the note title; <student> yyyymmmdd <subject> <assignment>

The information is all there to search on, producing views by student, year, subject etc

I use a Mac and scripts to enforce a naming standard

3 hours ago, GiacomoLaw said:

Ah, okay cool.

Here is what I suggest:

1. Make a notebook for each subject you teach (English, Maths etc)
  2. When homework is handed in, make a new note in the correct notebook, and tag it with the child's name and the year.
  3. Done!

This has multiple advantages:

• As EN has a limit of 250 notebooks, you may hit that limit soon.
  • You can sort notes by going onto the child's tag, and then see all the work they have done regardless of notebook.
  • Using years allows you to use search to only show the current year of the child's work.

What do you think of this? Hoped it helped!

Yes, helpful. Thanks very much.

26 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I wouldn't go crazy breaking creating Notebooks to organize your notes.  As @GiacomoLaw said, there's  a 250 Notebook limit.  It also gets to be too much work.

You could just insert the details in the note title; <student> yyyymmmdd <subject> <assignment>

The information is all there to search on, producing views by student, year, subject etc

I use a Mac and scripts to enforce a naming standard

Thanks to you also for your help. (What do you mean by enforcing a naming standard with scripts?)

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Andy Russell said:

What do you mean by enforcing a naming standard with scripts?

I had suggested a note title standard like     <student> yyyymmmdd <subject> <assignment>589ddeeb0e33d_ScreenShot2017-02-10at7_19_33AM.png.4cffb917de522f90b8076c6171b4fcec.png
Of course there's nothing preventing you from titling the note "aaaaa" or mispelling a student name

On my Mac, I use a script to generate note titles
It generates dropdown lists like this sample

41 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I had suggested a note title standard like     <student> yyyymmmdd <subject> <assignment>589ddeeb0e33d_ScreenShot2017-02-10at7_19_33AM.png.4cffb917de522f90b8076c6171b4fcec.png
Of course there's nothing preventing you from titling the note "aaaaa" or mispelling a student name

On my Mac, I use a script to generate note titles
It generates dropdown lists like this sample

That's brilliant. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived