Is Skitch dead? Layoffs in Austin?

alco

I am a big user of Skitch and I started wondering if it's still under active development. It has not seen any updates in a very long time.

There was also the announcement of layoffs a few weeks ago which reportedly affected the head of a certain product. I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that a large part of Skitch development was done in Austin. http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/7/7511183/evernote-lays-off-20-employees-globally-in-a-partial-restructuring

Has anyone else had similar thoughts or perhaps have insider information as to what's happening with Skitch?

• Level 5
Thank you for sharing the sad news. It certainly sounds like Skitch was nailed restructured. 

Here is the Evernote blog announcing the grand opening of the Austin operation at the end of 2011.

Late last year, I wondered what had happened. For example, Evernote employee Joe Lopez used to respond quickly and often to user questions on the Evernote Skitch forum. He offered a lot of assistance and insight into Skitch, but then his account went silent last summer. 

• Level 5*

Thank you for sharing the sad news. It certainly sounds like Skitch was nailed restructured. 

Here is the Evernote blog announcing the grand opening of the Austin operation at the end of 2011.

Late last year, I wondered what had happened. For example, Evernote employee Joe Lopez used to respond quickly and often to user questions on the Evernote Skitch forum. He offered a lot of assistance and insight into Skitch, but then his account went silent last summer. 

I don't know if he is silent or not, but he is working with Scannable, so I wouldn't say the Austin office has disappeared or anything. I think they call this a pivot in the industry. Anyhow, Evernote seems to be retaining considerable talent within its ranks, so that is good to see.

As a regular user of Skitch, I'd like to see it survive, but I have to admit that I am still on version 1 for the Mac, because the direction they took it didn't really fit my use case anymore. Perhaps, if they keep developing it, they'll shift directions.

GrumpyMonkey, thanks for the insight on where Joe went - I do recall reading his posts on the Skitch forums. He was very responsive at one point in time. If Joe got moved to Scannable, did anyone take his place as the Team Lead on Skitch? It seems Skitch is in some kind of quasi-hibernation mode. Any Evernote employees out there want to give us a quick sentence or two as to what to expect from Skitch this year (if anything)?

I would have thought if Evernote were shutting Skitch down, they'd of said so in their post about ending support for certain products. https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/01/20/evernote-end-support-hello-peek-blackberry-7-playbook/

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to hear that Joe was let go. I wish someone from Evernote would comment on the status of Skitch just to let us know if it's alive or dead. Mac and iOS versions are buggy and frustrating to use and the Windows version has had the "aero-snap" bug since 2013. Evernote in general seems to be mismanaged - they don't communicate well, they don't listen to feedback, and they don't honor their commitments (I'm looking at you recurring reminders and enhanced security features).

Sorry, don't mean to rant - I'm just frustrated that good products like Skitch and Evernote are being driven into the ground.

Archived