(Archived) how sort notes

how do i sort my notes into the order i want them in rather than their alphabetically order or the order they were entered? i want to drag and drop them into the proper order but this does not seem to work - help? do i have to rename all of my note names with arbitrary numbers just so they will sort properly? obviously i need urgent things at the top of the list - how to do? thanks

brad

You didn't specify which client you are using to access Evernote, but all of our clients give options to sort based on various criteria, including date created, date last modified, etc.

This works like a mail client. There's no arbitrary ordering that you can use to move notes around ... they are always sorted based on some property of the notes.

using windows client. i don't want to sort them based on some "property" - i want to move them where i want to see them in the list - as any good data manager would do - like in a spreadsheet, word processor or a project manager, todo list or whatever. how can i determine where things are in my list of items without changing the item?

i am coming from a very free-form information manager, and it works with objects (notes) similar to yours but seems to be more flexible - not locking you into a certain order. i drop things where i want to see them on the list - not as rigid as your system. if this is not possible, please consider for the future. thanks.

brad

i drop things where i want to see them on the list

Sorry to ask what might seem an obvious question, but why do you want to drop things in certain positions in the list? Is it to achieve anything in particular or is it just that you're used to working that way in other applications?

Sorry to ask what might seem an obvious question, but why do you want to drop things in certain positions in the list? Is it to achieve anything in particular or is it just that you're used to working that way in other applications?

have you ever used the auto-sort option in windows desktop? some people like to rigidly stick to the grid, others like to place icons wherever they will feel comfortable.

i suppose everyones desk is laid out differently - you have pencils there i have a post-it pad there, it's they way we work.

Info Select allows me to place my list of items in the order i choose without having to change the items header in order to get it in a certain order, it only sorts when I request it to do so.

Typically i like the most important things at the top of a list of todos, quick dial numbers, hot projects and such. your system appears to force me into using a forced sort order like a database as opposed to say a project management system or a slideshow manager or a video editor - where you put things where YOU want to see them. in your system i must modify the records constantly so that the forced sort order does not re-arrange them without my wanting it to change.

anyway, the order of things is critical - and if Info Select were not so far in the past with features i would still be with them using the only feature that matters - sync to web and iphone. I hope i can wrangle your system to meet my need but at this point i'm hitting a lot of roadblocks.

brad

Typically i like the most important things at the top of a list of todos, quick dial numbers, hot projects and such.

I know it's not quite what you're after, but how about putting these notes in a separate "current work" or "work in progress" notebook so they're always kept together, and separate from the less important stuff. You can easily drag & drop things in and out as required. Also if you're wanting a to-do list you can create one within a single note with tick boxes for each item.

thanks for the tips but todo lists are lists of documents typically with a history and a bunch of details until they are completed - i need to move them up and down in the priority queue as they get hotter, a single note would not work, thanks.

brad

• 3 weeks later...

For to-do list notebooks, you could adopt this personal convention: Start each to-do note title with a priority code, like "P1-", "P2-", P3-", "P4-", "P5-". When you view that notebook, sort it by title. When priorities change, edit the titles. Advantage: You can search for "P2-" to see all priority two notes. Disadvantages: More work than dragging. Less fine-grained control of note order.

Or use Reqall for to-do list management. It can integrate with Evernote.

thanks for the helpful reply- sparked a new idea - document types supported by evernote could be edited and updated by another application to create folders inside a document where evernote handles the heavy lifting of moving the information around to the other devices as long as you don't mess up the markers that reformat the data - good idea! Can a document in evernote - such as word - be changed by another app and update in place without creating duplicates?

Archived