Notes gone? Hiding in trash?

Hello!

When I opened my Evernote app today I had a tiny seizure as all my notes were gone! The notebooks were all there but they all showed '0 notes'. 

The same for iPad version and website version. But then I saw they were in the trash can. I am very sure I did not delete all my notes at once, so how did this happen? Does anyone else have this problem? Does it occur regularly?

Luckily, you can restore the notes all at once, tags in tact and all. But still, a strange and very unpleasant surprise at first! 

- Kaatje

• Level 5*

I don't know if this is a design issue or bug, but I have now seen several reports where Notes were deleted without the user being aware of any conscious actions to do so.  

This clearly is NOT happening to all users, so perhaps it is a poor design that allow the Note to be deleted without a visible confirmation, or perhaps there is a bug that is very environment dependent.

OK, I just ran a test in EN Mac 6.0.3, so I'm not sure if it works the same with EN Win or not, but you Windows guys can easily test it for yourself:

1. Create a new Note in my default Notebook
  2. Sync
  3. Click on the Note in the Note list so it is clear that I am NOT editing the Note
  4. Press the Mac DELETE key (which is BACKSPACE for PCs)

The Note was deleted without any warning or confirmation.

IMO, this is very poor design.  It is way too easy to accidentally hit the DELETE key.  It is much larger than other keys, and, on my MacBook Air, is located just below the function key to increase audio volume.

Could be that I was a bit 'slippery' in the iPad app (I don't use the app on the iPad very often) but I find it hard to believe I could have moved all notes to the trash without noticing. Also, I really recall the notes being gone the second I opened EN, without me even 'clicking' or tapping anything. Another thing: the last time before 'the disappearance' I used EN (or synced to it) was when I saved an article to EN with the web clipper (Chrome). I don't remember if this note was still 'present' when I opened the iPad app, it might have been the only note not in the trash folder but I'm not sure.

On my macbook pro, there's no actual delete key and I think I use cmd+backspace to move stuff to the trash in most apps so accidentally pushing two keys at once is tricky. EDIT: I just tried only clicking backspace in EN and it deleted the note, so this is different from how I normally delete stuff on my mac (in 'native' apps at least).

Not asking for confirmation (or the 'regular' two key delete-thing) is a bit 'risky' but then it would still be just one note (or perhaps a few you have selected all together); this happened to all notes across multiple notebooks so that is especially weird. Another improvement for this would be to not let the Trash folder be in the notebook pile, it doesn't really stand out this way. 

I think when I opened EN on a different platform (can't remember if I checked web first or desktop first), I did see the amount of notes in each notebook, and then when it synced, they had all 'disappeared'. I'll just keep using EN for now and if it happens again, I'll try to be more alert about what happened exactly. 

• Level 5*

On Win if your position is on a note in note list and you hit Delete, the note is deleted without a warning.  If you highlight multiple notes and hit Delete, they are deleted without a warning as well.  So, watch the Delete key.  

So it is easy enough to delete a single note if you aren't paying attention.  Now a whole group of notes you have to work a bit harder, but still no warning.  So, yeah, some belts and suspenders would be a better design to protect the innocent.

• Level 5*

On my macbook pro, there's no actual delete key and I think I use cmd+backspace to move stuff to the trash in most apps so accidentally pushing two keys at once is tricky. EDIT: I just tried only clicking backspace in EN and it deleted the note, so this is different from how I normally delete stuff on my mac (in 'native' apps at least).

That's interesting.  On both my MacBook Pro 15R (2013) and MacBook Air I have a key labeled "delete" that acts like a backspace (deletes the character prior to the cursor).  I don't have a key labeled "backspace".   I can get the PC delete function by pressing fn-delete.

IAC, the important point is that by pressing a single key the Evernote Note (or selection of Notes) is deleted without warning/confirmation.

Hm I do have a four year old 13 inch and a European (French/Belgian) keyboard so maybe that explains why there's no 'delete'? It's in the same position as yours though, under the volume button. Fn+backspace (in text processing) deletes the letters 'after' the cursor, is this what you mean by PC delete function? In Mail, just pressing backspace is also moving the message to trash, I just discovered. But in Finder, I need to press cmd+backspace. Anyway, not really relevant so I will just pay attention next time this problem occurs. Thanks for the replies!

• Level 5*

Well, my thanks to Kaatje for bringing to my attention the importance of frequent review of one's EN Trash.

The purpose:  make sure I have NOT accidentally deleted any Notes.

I found that I had over 300 Notes in EN Trash.  Some of them were obvious, but many were not.

So, I had to spend a while going through those that were not obvious and checking them with my normal NBs.

So, lesson learned, note to self:  Review my EN Trash once a week, and empty the Trash.   ;)

I have said this countless times in previous threads...

The Backspace to immediate delete in Evernote is rediculous...

It should be Fn Backspace for Mac

You think you are inside the document... holding backspace... And suddenly you lose 5 notes... And off you go fishing in the Trash...

Sometimes you might not notice.. Which makes it even more dangerous.

• 3 months later...

Kaatje, you and the rest of us are probably not accidentally deleting anything. I am annoyed at the insistence on user error - and I've done programming for others so I do have a clue as to where that attitude comes from. However, it's the program.

I have a macBook Pro. At the end of the day the last thing I do is bring the EN window up from the Dock, open on the desktop. I click on the circled sync arrows to make sure the latest version is saved. Then I move the mouse up to the Apple icon in the upper left of the screen and click on Shut Down. (My hands are miles from the keyboard.) I have it set to re-open windows next time I turn on the computer. 

The next morning either my notes will open as intended, or I have to click on the icon in the dock, or I will find the app icon in the trash, and if there is one left in the dock it's disabled. When I drag the one in the trash to the desktop, I can open it, but I notice a six digit number in parentheses in the app name, repeated for as many times as it ends up in the trash, until that one no longer works one day. (Counted as many as 12)

I have been through tickets with EN people, uninstalled EN completely and reinstalled more than once, tried all combinations of things on shutdown (or sleep) including closing app, leaving it in the dock, leaving it open, whatever, and cannot discern a pattern of behavior that causes this. I have started taking screen shots of my to do list before shutting down just so I have quick access to the info when I start up on days when it ends up in the trash. I never know if it's going to do it or not. Seems to come in waves of a couple weeks on, a few weeks off. I should mention I have the free version of EN.

Please EN, you're in denial. Look into this problem. It's real.

Thanks.

Before someone asks, when I said my hands are miles from the keyboard I should add that at my desk I'm using the laptop with a separate keyboard, a wireless mouse and a second large screen. I also wait until the sync arrows stop circling before clicking on the Apple to shut down. 

• 3 months later...

Yes!  An individual note will disappear into the trash without my touching any keys.  Usually I don't discover it immediately and not 100% sure how it happened.  But just now, I clicked on a note in my default notebook to process it and after a couple of seconds, it disappeared.  I had just folded my hands in front of me to read the note - did not touch any key!!!  Found it in the trash.

Libby, that's alarming. I've never had a note disappear while reading it. With me the whole app ends up in the trash. But I've been completely shutting down Evernote (closing the window and clicking Quit in the menu bar at the top of the screen) before shutting off the computer for the night, and set it to open on start-up, and that's been working for about a month. Evernote has been opening right where I want it when my desktop appears. Have not lost anything during the day so far. Keeping my fingers crossed this works. I should note I have a new computer - not the latest, still running OSX 10.9.5, but it has more memory than my last. 

• 3 years later...

I'm reviving this old thread because the same thing is happening to me.

iPhone app shows notes that are not showing on Mac desktop app. After poking around desktop app, I find these notes in the Trash. There is no way I could have trashed these, even accidentally. And yes, the insistence on user error is frustrating at the very least.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, dpalo said:

iPhone app shows notes that are not showing on Mac desktop app. After poking around desktop app, I find these notes in the Trash. There is no way I could have trashed these, even accidentally. 

The Activity Log might provide information.

I'd also be concerned why there was a difference between the Mac and iPhone.  The  master version on the server can be checked  using the web platform at www.evernote.com.

Archived