Evernote does not have permission to open local file link

• 6 months later...

I found a workaround to this (Yosemite 10.10.4 & EN 6.0.16), although it's more work than it should be. If you attach the file to the EN note (for me it was a pdf), this creates a EN path to the file, and then somehow now even if I delete this attachment I can now create a local link to the original file without the error message.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem. I think it was poor enough that I used to have to copy the file path, return to evernote, open the link window, paste the file name and then add file:// in front of it -- that was pretty clunky for a 'one stop shop for all your notes on a project held together in a cool and useful and linkable way' app. But at least it worked. Now it does not. 

I have evernote v6.9.2 'Professional'.  

I'd be very grateful should anyone have worked out how to resolve this and be able to share their knowledge. Is it a Mac setting I should alter? Thanks in advance for any help! 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 7:03 AM, Viktor Pec said:

I am experiencing the same issue now. OS X 10.10.5, Evernote 6.12.3. It worked for me a couple months ago, as far as I can remember. I can't tell with which version it stopped working.

Has anyone else experienced this recently?

I too am still experiencing this problem. If the issue is security for having people link to local files that could be malicious when shared to other users why not just remove the share feature if you wish to reference local files? My hope with evernote was to link my notes to a journal article I have saved locally as a pdf to have everything in a centralized and organized system but can no longer do this with this restriction

UPDATE: I was able to create a work around but a little intensive. I used my dropbox to store the local files which I can then create a link to for sharing online which Evernote will accept. If you make changes to the document either online or wherever dropbox is saving on your local disk the changes will sync up and auto update. This works for me as I am only trying to link to pdf's and just need highlighting and annotating feature available in Adobe reader which dropbox can open online with a pdf file of your choosing. Still frustrating about the lack of a work around and lack of permission approval for mac and Evernote but hope this helps people. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Cradford said:

I too am still experiencing this problem. If the issue is security for having people link to local files that could be malicious when shared to other users why not just remove the share feature if you wish to reference local files? My hope with evernote was to link my notes to a journal article I have saved locally as a pdf to have everything in a centralized and organized system but can no longer do this with this restriction

Please provide more detail on the problem.5a6a08ffbf1df_ScreenShot2018-01-25at08_42_00.png.9e68e04541b233b4caf406bf204ed870.png

I'm able to include links to external files, and it's the recommended solution for large or centrally stored files

Are your software versions current?

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Please provide more detail on the problem.

I'm able to include links to external files, and it's the recommended solution for large or centrally stored files

Are your software versions current?

Using Evernote Version 6.13.1 and OSX Sierra 10.12.6. I have pdf files stored locally on my computer and wish to link them to an Evernote note using a link so I don't have to create another instance of the pdf within Evernote. I found a work around using dropbox as I can create a link online for documents saved in my dropbox folder and that link is allowed by Evernote as it is not directly attempting to open the local file on my computer in the dropbox folder.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Cradford said:

I have pdf files stored locally on my computer and wish to link them to an Evernote note using a link

Here's a working example from my Mac5a6a0a9182b33_ScreenShot2018-01-25at08_48_55.png.719476b3fd40b94d2b904393b1eb0823.png

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2018 at 11:48 PM, DTLow said:

Here's a working example from my Mac5a6a0a9182b33_ScreenShot2018-01-25at08_48_55.png.719476b3fd40b94d2b904393b1eb0823.png

Are you saying that when you click on the "Test.pdf" link in your note, that it opens your document on your hard drive?  How is your setup different I wonder, because I also get "does not have permission" with a similar situation.  

This is the only way I've found paths to files work in Evernote.

Mac is running latest High Sierra and Evernote most up to date version.

1 - Don't use Evernote from the AppStore - use the direct download from Evernote.

2 - Locate the folder or file you need to create a path and drag it into the search bar of Firefox (this is the only way I've found to create a correctly formatted link).

3 - Copy the resulting path

4 - Place cursor in Evernote, and create a link by pasting that path into the link dialog box.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 4/10/2018 at 6:25 PM, ColD said:

This is the only way I've found paths to files work in Evernote.

Mac is running latest High Sierra and Evernote most up to date version.

1 - Don't use Evernote from the AppStore - use the direct download from Evernote.

2 - Locate the folder or file you need to create a path and drag it into the search bar of Firefox (this is the only way I've found to create a correctly formatted link).

3 - Copy the resulting path

4 - Place cursor in Evernote, and create a link by pasting that path into the link dialog box.

Great! It worked for me even now in 2020 with OS Catalina. To copy the file path, one just need right-click  on the file or folder in the Mac Finder.
While in the right-click menu, hold down the OPTION key to reveal the “Copy (item name) as Pathname” option, it replaces the standard Copy option