BUG: Note jumps to the top when Annotating image

• 2 weeks later...

I have this exact same problem. Any update on when this might be fixed?

Currently I have to do a workaround where I type in some keyword that doesn't appear anywhere else. I annotate the image, and then after I'm done the note auto scrolls to the top. I then ctrl+f within the note and search for my key phrase to get back to where I was before. 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Apologies if this is a necro-bump - but I have been struggling with this issue since beginning to use Evernote in May. I don't know if I am experiencing exactly the same bug, but

For me, when annotating in Evernote, I will begin to draw a line and the cursor (and thus, the end of the line) jumps to the top of the CURRENT page. So, I don't have a LOT of scrolling to do, but considering my neurotic over-annotating, it is quite annoying.

Hope that this is helpful. :) Cheers. Loving Evernote.

Edit - Here is a screenshot of the issue as it manifests every few minutes. Is this what the rest of y'all are experiencing?

http://i.imgur.com/yU0ma5Y.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1

This is REALLY annoying!

In fact, the whole 'image editing' flow in Evernote is annoying.

I created a note and photographed 48 images of the text for a play we're writing. I thought using Evernote's Document photo in Android would be a good idea.
I went to my Mac to check and crop each image. Oh my.

If you double click the image, it doesn't open the image, it opens presentation mode and bugs me to upgrade! (I'm already a paying customer).

So I have to

right+click image 1,
select annotate (or open),

crop and edit,
save (exit annotation or external program)
and it GOES BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF THE NOTE.

Scroll down to image 2,

right click image 2,

etc.

By image 15 I wanted to get away running and screaming.

And I still have 40+ pages to photograph and edit...  :( 

This is so not how it should work.

• 5 months later...

I am having instances of this bug and have had those for a long time. I am taking the time for as precise a description as possible, please take the time to respond to this.

The instances I am seeing occur when annotating a pdf.

The bug seems to happen on a regular basis when creating any form of annotation in the pdf. When I create a textbox or start to highlight some text, the application randomly jumps to the top of the current pdf page or sometimes to the previous page, creating the annotation in a completely different / random spot than initially intended. It sometimes seems that the cursor may be jumping to the top of the page where the previous annotation was created or edited.

I am attaching an image file showing a particular instance of this bug: I started to highlight the typo in the section title at the bottom of the page, the application then scrolls up randomly, in this case creating a highlight object that spans from the initial intended spot on the section title, to the random point in the page where the cursor lands during the bug occurrence.

Quitting the application and starting again sometimes diminished the frequency of this bug but it always seems to come back at some point.

I am using Evernote 6.4 (452969 Direct) on MacOSX Yosemite 10.10.5, Macbook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013).

When the bug kicks in it then happens to me several times per page and almost one out of 3 or 4 annotations, which means the annotation part of the application is then almost unusable. This is a huge turn off considering it's one of the main features I considered when I payed for the premium version of this software. Please fix this urgently...

screenshot_483.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 16 August 2015 at 6:07 AM, Guto said:

+1

This is REALLY annoying!

In fact, the whole 'image editing' flow in Evernote is annoying.

I created a note and photographed 48 images of the text for a play we're writing. I thought using Evernote's Document photo in Android would be a good idea.
I went to my Mac to check and crop each image. Oh my.

If you double click the image, it doesn't open the image, it opens presentation mode and bugs me to upgrade! (I'm already a paying customer).

So I have to

right+click image 1,
select annotate (or open),

crop and edit,
save (exit annotation or external program)
and it GOES BACK TO THE BEGINNING OF THE NOTE.

Scroll down to image 2,

right click image 2,

etc.

By image 15 I wanted to get away running and screaming.

And I still have 40+ pages to photograph and edit...  :( 

This is so not how it should work.

Very similar issues regarding annotation of images in rapid paced uni lectures. 

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but is there any indication of when this issue will be fixed?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Totally agree with the thread posters. This is THE ONE most annoying Evernote bug to date. If you snap images like I do now for a new apartment I constantly have to scroll to find the latest annotated image. Super simple to fix team Evernote so please listen to the paying customers. I really have to find another tool if this isn´t dealt with as it totally messes up my workflow.. And yes: +100! (This is a problem on Mac not on my iPad Pro)

(Mac version 6.10) -- Same problem, though for me it happens with PDFs and Word attachments. When I click (or double-click) to open a PDF or Word file, my cursor jumps immediately to the top of the note completely away from that attachment. The only way I can open such an attachment is to control-single-click on the attachment and select "open." Something's very wrong. (Today is November 29, 2016, by the way. Where are our Evernote employee friends these days? I feel so alone right now. Sniff, sniff.)

4 hours ago, EvernoteBob said:

(Mac version 6.10) -- Same problem, though for me it happens with PDFs and Word attachments. When I click (or double-click) to open a PDF or Word file, my cursor jumps immediately to the top of the note completely away from that attachment. The only way I can open such an attachment is to control-single-click on the attachment and select "open." Something's very wrong. (Today is November 29, 2016, by the way. Where are our Evernote employee friends these days? I feel so alone right now. Sniff, sniff.)

Hey @EvernoteBob,

Thanks for reporting this! The issue with PDFs is actually a separate issue from the one originally raised in this thread. This issue should be resolved in the next version of Evernote for Mac, 6.11. I don't have an ETA on when that will be released, but keep your eye on our Product Feedback Thread for updates on that.

Mac Product Feedback

On 11/29/2016 at 6:27 PM, BSR said:

Hey @EvernoteBob,

Thanks for reporting this! The issue with PDFs is actually a separate issue from the one originally raised in this thread. This issue should be resolved in the next version of Evernote for Mac, 6.11. I don't have an ETA on when that will be released, but keep your eye on our Product Feedback Thread for updates on that.

Mac Product Feedback

Woo hoo! Thanks, BSR. I appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

It's now February of 2017!!!!  Can Evernote please fix the long term problem whereby a problem occurs after annotating an image?  The problem is that, after the annotation is finished and the editing window is closed, the user is taken to the very beginning of the note INSTEAD of returning to the point where the user was actively working on the document, i.e., the point in the note where the annotated image is located.  

The ongoing bug is a serious impediment to the workflow of an individual.  Imagine working on an image that is several pages long and being taken back to the top of a note every single time you annotate an image.  

THIS SEEMS SO FUNDAMENTAL!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

@BSR Do you know if this fixes the jumping when rotating an image too (using the right click contex menu)?

@Eduardo Estefano This is an issue that is being tracked separately from the one in this thread but should also be resolved in the next GA update for Evernote Mac (version 6.11)

• 2 weeks later...

MORE THAN TWO YEARS AND STILL NO SOLUTIONS.  INCREDIBLE!!!

COME ON EVERNOTE! BE MORE LIKE A RABBIT AND NOT AN SLOW ELEPHANT!

Why Evernote is so, so slow in solving bugs?  I think we are enough people having a premium account to pay the costs for faster releases of new versions.

This bug is an ancient one!

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2017 at 1:39 AM, BSR said:

@hakimi @Eduardo Estefano@Rationalist2010 

This is set to be fixed in the next update to Evernote for Mac (version 6.11). It's coming soon, hopefully within the month.

I'm on 6.11 this is still happening. It's absolutely crazy. It also resizes the image to full size again every time after annotation. I don't understand how there are not millions of people moaning about this.

Crazy.
Crazy.
Crazy.

As a result of your post, I tested several of my long notes by adding a graphic at the end and annotating it.  Upon closing the annotation, Evernote positioned the view where just the top of the newly annotated graphic was visible.  It did NOT scroll to the top of the note as it had done in the previous version.  I tested this using Evernote Version 6.11 (454874 Direct).

Are other users still experiencing the pages scrolling to the top after annotating a graphic in 6.11?

I did have the same experience as you regarding the resizing of the graphic.  Even though I had shrunk the graphic, it did resize back to the original after completing the annotation.

Okay, my apologies. I checked again now and indeed it does not scroll to the top of the page, however bisarrely it does scroll to the top of the image, so you STILL have to scroll down to carry on with the flow of your document. I just saw the scrolling and thought it went back to top. I don't understand why they would make it scroll at all though. Surely after annotating an image the logical workflow is to continue right BELOW it.

I'm sorry for the rant but it's just hard to understand why these things don't seem to be important to Evernote and take literally YEARS to fix.. er sort of.

• 6 months later...

Has this been fixed yet? I just updated to the latest version and still when I go to annotate a pdf, it jumps back up to the top.

This makes it not useful for my purposes and I'm considering leaving the platform and asking for a refund.

Am I missing something?

Me too mate. I'm not renewing after years of being a customer. This bug is almost 3 years old!!! It's broken, it doesn't work properly. Don't know how this can be a serious company. This was logged in Jan 2015. What a joke. Still resizes screenshots to full size after any annotation as well. Unusable.

• Level 5*
On 2017-11-21 at 8:56 AM, stevgouws said:

it doesn't work properly.

If you've submitted support tickets on these issues can you post the ticket #s.  It would help to get some feedback on the status

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

If you've submitted support tickets on these issues can you post the ticket #s.  It would help to get some feedback on the status

Ticket# 1827120 - regarding resizing back to full size after annotation: 

This is a known issue to our development team and they are currently working on implementing a fix. I do not have a timeframe I am able to provide for when this will be released, but my hope is soon.

Date: September 18 2016

For the jumping back to the top bug I didn't open a ticket as I found this thread. 

From this same thread Evernote staff so they do actually monitor the thread.

Date: November 30 2016

I'll email them and ask them to comment on this thread, maybe it's fallen through the cracks.

• 2 weeks later...

This was their reply :rolleyes:

Lucas (Evernote Help and Learning)

Nov 25, 09:15 PST

Hi Steven,

Thanks for contacting Evernote. We apologize for the delayed response as we’ve been working through a larger than normal ticket volume. My name is Lucas and I'll be assisting you with the issue that you are experiencing with annotation in Evernote app on your Mac device.

I reviewed the article in Evernote blog and I saw that the annotation issue was solved in the version 6.11 of Evernote app for Mac devices.

• I'd like to have you to update the Evernote app on your Mac device to try to fix this issue.

To update the Evernote app on your Mac device, please follow the steps below:

1. Open Evernote app on your Mac device.
  2. Click on Help > Check for updates...

Please let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to help.

Sincerely,

Lucas
Evernote Customer Support

I've asked them to reply to this thread as well as there are a lot of people besides me having the issue. Also, I'm still on  El Capitan 10.11.4, not sure if that could be part of the problem?

Thanks for the attention on this. This may have been fixed for annotating images, but not so for pdfs. I just updated again and still, when I go to annotate a pdf I get shunted to the 1st page necessitating my finding my way back to the original page I wanted to annotate. Which makes the tool not useful for me being that I function primarily with pdfs.

Gregory

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, hakimi said:

It seems Evernote, an unicorn company, has just two developers! 

I haven't seen an employee list - where did you get your count from?

Was this all platforms, or just Mac?

Archived